Author Topic: Discharging a monitor  (Read 541 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Discharging a monitor
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
Guysi just picked up another pin2000 crt and told my wife to keep her tits off it (in joke but costly as it broke my last brand new crt).

Well I don't want to have this one lying around too long to possibly get trashed. Can someone carefully instruct me or even better if passing by caroline springs discharge the new and existing crt so I don't make my hair look like the stuff on my balls.

I also need to repin it as its replacing a ducksan model so need to read up on this too. Anyone repinned a wg brand to suit?

Much appreciated as I really don't feel confident on this one discharging
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Discharging a monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
first make sure the pinball machine is switched off and unplugged from the power point

then get a screwdriver and attach some wire around the metal shaft of the screwdriver, attach the other end of the wire to the metal frame on the monitor chassis, make sure you strip the wire so that you are using the wire and the not the insulation for attaching

and finally push the screwdriver under the rubber suction cup on the tube and also remove the suction cup at the same time using the screwdriver (there are 2 metal prongs under the suction cup which have an L shape, you need to push the prongs one at a time so the hook pops out of the hole), you will hear some arcing when doing this, also it's advisable to discharge again before moving the tube

one last tip, when discharging the tube keep one hand in your pocket and make sure you hold the screwdriver from the plastic/rubber handle, this way you won't accidentally zap yourself

Hope this helps & is not too confusing

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Can also attach a large ballast resistor to the end so it discharges as a trickle rather than 1 sudden current rush

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »

Be VERY careful while discharging the monitor. Most monitors discharge themselves after they have been off for a period of time. Usually a day or two. Follow Chad's advice - Screwdriver with a wire wrapped around it. The other end of the wire connected to the chassis body (metal), and slip the other end under the high tension cable under the section cup. You should hear a "pop". If the monitor is already discharged, you might not hear anything. Then wriggle the suction cup fitting lose and then touch the metal prongs back onto the chassis. You are ready to go now !

If you are unsure, get someone out to do it for you.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
I'll have think but leaning towards getting someone with the know how. Who do you get, an electrician? ...or maybe my wife hmmmmmm

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
an electrician knows NOTHING about electronics....
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »
an electrician knows NOTHING about electronics....
Maybe then I should be an electrician  %.%. So if someone could help or maybe I can bring the new CRT and even the total pin2000 headbox that comes off the cabinet to someone's house I'd be appreciative.

Offline stratosaur

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »
Discharging CRT tubes is easy.  if you KNOW what your doing. Chad's instructions are spot on.

I worked for 17 years fixing everything from dumb terminals to laptops over that time period. Back in the days when a soldering iron, couple screw drivers and a bag fully of capacitors fixed 90% of the issues.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF THE PROCESS.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:46:00 AM by stratosaur »

Marty Machine

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »
Discharging also requires a few go's,... don't believe it's discharged because you 'just did it'....the capacitance of the tube will partially restore a charge, so in effect, you might measure 20kv, then 10kv, then 2kv after each discharge-recovery........

Personally i keep a spare grounding plug (actually a scrapped EHT (aquadag) cap) permanently connected to avoid the residual recharges.

P.S. ELECTRICIANS know LESS than NOTHING about electronics hehehehehehe  ;-)

MM

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
Discharging also requires a few go's,... don't believe it's discharged because you 'just did it'....the capacitance of the tube will partially restore a charge, so in effect, you might measure 20kv, then 10kv, then 2kv after each discharge-recovery........

Personally i keep a spare grounding plug (actually a scrapped EHT (aquadag) cap) permanently connected to avoid the residual recharges.

MM
+1

Also when you carry the tube around, just in case you still have some charge there keep the high voltage socket away from you guts - or ouch

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »

MM
+1

Also when you carry the tube around, just in case you still have some charge there keep the high voltage socket away from you guts - or ouch
So having it near balls might could spell disaster I'm guessing  %.%

Marty Machine

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
So having it near balls might could spell disaster I'm guessing  %.%

Yes, for the tube......when you drop it.....  ;-)

Offline fte

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »
I need to replace the monitor in my Pin2000 also. If you are replacing the whole unit and it has sat idle for a couple of months, does it really need to be discharged as described ( ie no plan to work on the CRT high voltage section)? Thanks

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
discharging is easy, but do it properly or not at all. Tubes can charge themselves within minutes of being discharged, I learnt that the hard way  %.% Spurry couldave warned me  <.>

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Need to discharge my broken monitor as a precaution, but I don't have au wire to attach to a screw driver etc. Was thinking of attaching a car battery lead. Would this suffice if it clamps on the screw driver. I'm guessing yes but please advise if you can see any problems