Author Topic: Hankin Orbit 1 Refresh.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline punkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
Hankin Orbit 1 Refresh.
« on: February 19, 2024, 02:00:31 PM »
Hi all, keen to do a topside refresh on my Orbit 1 and after a bit of assistance with some parts.

Looking for 2 complete pop bumper assy's, can someone point me to the correct ones on RTBB please? I don't know what brand pop is the correct substitute.

Also need a bunch of the white posts, are these a Gottlieb part?

I'm thinking about the insert lights and feel that yopsicles should work in this machine, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help. It's my favourite game out of the 26 i have here.
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
Re: Hankin Orbit 1 Refresh.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 04:09:10 PM »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 09:31:26 AM »
This is the bumper body you need (hope the link works!!)
https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/pop-bumper-body-c-114-3/

And yes the cap in your second link is the correct one

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 10:28:45 AM »
Thanks Mitch, you are a f**king legend.

I'm assuming the posts i need are a mixture of these two?

https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/post-plastic-faceted-1-white-opaque-gottlieb-c-11561-w/

https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/post-plastic-faceted-1-3-16-white-opaque-gottlieb-c-11562-w/

And can you please tell me Sir, what pop bumper skirts i need with these? This and the lane divider up the top should just about cover me.

The yoppsickles should work on this title correct? They say that only Bally 6608 won't work as it's controlled matrix or somesuch?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 08:33:20 PM »
I can't remember exactly what posts the game has but if they are white faceted posts then yes the ones in the links should be the correct ones.

Pretty sure these were the skirts i used on the last Hankin game i did
https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/pop-bumper-skirt-various-colours/

Haven't used Yoppsicles on anything yet (might be using them in a Fathom I'm currently doing though), but if they are intended for old
school Bally/Stern then you shouldn't have any issues running them in Orbit 1 as the Hankin board set is essentially the same in how they
operate overall.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 05:42:02 AM »
Thank you again Sir. I forgot to order the skirts yesterday, will give Nino a hoi to include them today.

Thanks for the yoppsickle news, yes that's what they are intended for, so should work.

I'll probs ask Neil to do those with me, but this will be my first go at doing up the top and rebuilding pops.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 05:16:45 PM »
I reconditioned an "Orbit 1" a few years ago - really easy to fix and clean up. Not a bad game to play as well. I think it uses Gottlieb parts, but I can't remember the flipper assemblies.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 10:32:01 PM »
I reconditioned an "Orbit 1" a few years ago - really easy to fix and clean up. Not a bad game to play as well. I think it uses Gottlieb parts, but I can't remember the flipper assemblies.

Most of the mechs in Hankin games are unique to Hankin as far as the construction of the mounting/brackets goes. From memory the bumper plunger and yoke are one solid piece instead of separate pieces (plunger, metal and fibre yoke) like every other manufacturer!

I've heard of guys retrofitting mechs from either Bally or Gottlieb in place of the Hankin parts.

I remember using classic Stern flipper mechs (with Hankin coils) on a Howzat i did over ten years ago.. on another Howzat I did more recently I retained the original flipper mechs and made new flipper links to replace the worn out originals, new coil sleeves, can't remember what I used for flipper bushes though.. I think I might have modified some to fit by machining them on a lathe!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:35:02 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 04:54:41 AM »

I love this machine. It's in gorgeous original condition. Mitch had it for a while and cleaned up the cab, touched up the blue a little, but it's an original,
almost unmarked survivor.
I feel like a 70's cool kid when i play it, and i play it a lot. It's tuned really well, and once you learn where the danger is and what nudges get you out of it
it's great fun to challenge.
Simple rules for my simple brain and very few little cheats that no one knows, so a great leveler in comp.

If it was my only machine, i'd still be a very happy man.

There is a gottlieb with the same playfield. Can't remeber the name, but it's the same machine with a different theme.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 07:42:09 PM »
Hey Garry, I found the pics/videos of this machine from when i had it here 4 years ago. The flipper mechs had been changed to classic Stern mechs at some stage of its life, so classic Stern parts can be used if you rebuild flippers (assuming you keep these mechs and don't swap for something else).

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 04:51:30 AM »
Thanks Mitch, flippers are good. I just want to do all the top side faded stuff, and i want to do the insert lights.

I'll give you a ring at some stage or if you are going past someday give me a message. I have an insert where the clear is bubbling and i'm worried if
i try to polish the playfield mechanically (or even if that's a sensible option) i'll tear it. Also all the inserts are settled a little and i'd like to know how to handle this.

Gunna do some research on the basics of this stuff and probably keep this thread going if people are happy to advise me on my first real step in learning
pinball maintenance and restore.

I think it's probably the right machine to start on, so simple and so worthwhile restoring.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:58:45 AM by punkin »