Author Topic: Farewell Neil Armstrong  (Read 724 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Farewell Neil Armstrong
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
You can probably tell from my heavily space themed collection one of my other passions. I have read many books about and watched dozens of documentaries about the Apollo Project. Last year, Neil Armstrong presented here in Australia the landing, using Google imagery to allow us to see the craters and rocks that he navigated around to complete that most dangerous feat 43 years ago.

Almost a year to the day he has left on his final journey. A true gentleman and hero.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Farewell Neil Armstrong
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
I would also recommend an excellent HBO series called fittingly enough, "From the Earth to the Moon."

The soundtrack itself is inspirational as it is.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
I would also recommend an excellent HBO series called fittingly enough, "From the Earth to the Moon."

The soundtrack itself is inspirational as it is.

Agreed, brilliant series. Tom Hanks financed it, does an intro to each episode. Best is "Spider" about the development of the Lunar Lander, fantastic episode.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
Wasn't the whole Moon Landing staged in a studio somewhere? Like in the move Capricorn One %.%
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »
Wasn't the whole Moon Landing staged in a studio somewhere? Like in the move Capricorn One 
Some low people that believe this theory can not fathom the great achievement of mankind and the individuals who gave their lives to better our world.
Respect one of our legends in his final hour.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
Wasn't the whole Moon Landing staged in a studio somewhere? Like in the move Capricorn One %.%

Stanley Kubrick.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
These astronauts risked their lives daily testing fighter jets, various rocket powered vehicles for both the USA Airforce and NASA.
Everytime they suited up could have been their last.

Everything they did was extremely dangerous, and they did it all without complaining, just to be able to proudly represent their country. Not only were these guys extremely brave, but they are some of the smartest and best engineers in the world. If u look at the credentials these guys have, they are basically mathematical experts, engineers, scientists and the list just goes on and on. These astronauts are the best of the best, and in the scheme of things, that means you are in a handful of very special people out of billions.

I say RIP Neil Armstrong and you have made every person in the USA extremely proud, and people will remember your bravery and service for hundreds of years to come. Probably the most famous man in the history of the world. Every kid in the world learns the answer to "who was the first man to step onto the moon".
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

I was joking, im sure they landed on Moon.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18:42 PM »

I was joking, im sure they landed on Moon.

I think we all appreciated that as a joke.

Great man, amazing humility considering his contribution to humanity.

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »
Humble guy with titanium balls....when you could walk the walk like N.A. there wasnt much need for talk.
This photo was taken immediately after the 1st E.V.A. I bet that smirk lasted for months, if not years.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

There were no guarantees. What these men achieved was not only brave, but was the most historical event of our lifetime. Amazing humility. Each time we look at the moon, he will be up there smiling at us.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
Amazingly brave those early space pioneers, Sad to hear

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Alan Sheppard , Gus Grissom etc, These guys and their colleagues were the real Astronauts Weren't they?

They were real pioneering space explorers unlike most of the recent crop of so called Ästronauts" ie: the scientists the teachers , doctors etc ( with the exception of the shuttle pilots of course ) who are referred to as Astronauts but are really just space travellers who would  have no idea how to fly the damn thing.

And of course the fact that back then it was a lot more dangerous than it is now.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of idiots who complain about the amount of money that NASA spent on the moon . As Alan B Sheppard once said in an interview, "people who complain about the money we spent on the moon instead of on the starving nations of the world  seem to forget that I was actually up there in Apollo14 and I had a damn good look around and I didn't see one single Dollar of that money".
The money was obviously spent on Earth paying someones wages somewhere along the line and the $2Billion we spent on Apollo has been spent 20 or 30 times over on the starving nations" most of whom are still starving today"

And most people dont realise how much we owe to the Apollo program , Better faster computers , Internet, Fax , Mobile phone technology, the INS navigational system ( prior to GPS etc) so Airliners could navigate around the globe.

Most of the critics take all that for granted .

RIP Neil, you were a true Pioneer and hero at a time when we needed some real heros, You will be missed.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »

And most people dont realise how much we owe to the Apollo program , Better faster computers , Internet, Fax , Mobile phone technology, the INS navigational system ( prior to GPS etc) so Airliners could navigate around the globe.

There is a series of 6 documentaries called "Moon Machines", each looking at one of the factors (Saturn V, Lunar Lander, Rover, Space Suits, Cammand Module, and Navigation), and the navigation one about the INS is a great watch. They are all great come to think of it, but really enjoyed the INS episode.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Just watched the one on Navigation . Really interesting  () Never seen these before .
Thanks a lot for the link to these Nick   ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$