Author Topic: Gottlieb Spirit - 1982  (Read 168 times)

Offline pinballnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
Gottlieb Spirit - 1982
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
Hi

has anyone played one of these?
I've seen Todd Tuckeys "explaining pinball" on utube and it looks like a great game.

Just wanting to know what it's like to play in your opinion.

Thanks
Clive

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Gottlieb Spirit - 1982
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have one of these. Todd's video is really good, I have watched it a few times to help understand the game.

I have had the trio - BH, HH and Spirit. HH was sold a while back, and I still love my BH. Spirit is very much in the "great" game category for me.

There are a few things  that make it a choice game.

Great sounds - no voice, but a nicely implemented set of sounds and effects that suits the theme really well.

Fantastic shot map - including a great shot to the upper left that is hard but extremely satisfying to make. Has to be one of the longest shots in pinball.

Terrific artwork - unusual and while there is a lot of black on the playfield, it doesn't seem dark.

Good rules, and a very hard to achieve three ball multiball - it's always available (to lock the three balls including that long shot I mentioned), but each 10 point switch changes the available ball lock between the three (then between the remaining two when one locked), making it really hard and you need to plan shots carefully.

Great 2-ball multiball is also available from the "Stargate" - this is easier to get (but still hard!!) and is accompanied by a different sound track which I really like.

The outlanes have the little "saver" flippers, which make up for the massive distance between the main flippers, which is at least a centimeter (maybe more) wider than most games.

Overall a very challenging and rewarding game. Up there with the best of the early 1980 games IMO.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
Nick's description and Todd's video explain the game well. From a gameplay perspective, it has a typical GTB SYS 80 ruleset, which is fairly deep and has a difficult multiball.

The game looks simply stunning - artwork is really cool. Spinning disk adds a bit of mystique into the theme. Backglass is incredible. The game was designed by John Trudeau, who created CFTBL.

It is a rare title that I've only seen for sale once in the last 10 years. They never change hands. That's because the game is a keeper.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »

......designed by John Trudeau, who created CFTBL.

That explains the gap between the flippers - the guy's a sadist!! :)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
Played Spirit when it was first released. We had one at UTS Sydney and I never saw one anywhere else. This is a very rare 1980s title. At first I did not like this machine but eventually grew fond as it was challenging. The sounds and graphics kept me coming back. Anyone who owns a Spirit should keep long term.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Anyone who owns a Spirit should keep long term.

No they should not keep it

THey should sell this title as soon as possible ;)