Author Topic: X-Men Pro Review - Mini Review N Photos  (Read 25949 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
X-Men Pro Review - Mini Review N Photos
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
REVIEW.  X - Men Pro Review with some photos.

Well, I am happy to say I played the X-Men Pro today for a good 2 hours and have done a small review for those AP members who havent had the chance to see or play a PRO yet.

Cabinet Artwork.

Well, I expected the cabinet artwork to be very pixalated after seeing the brochure on the Stern site etc, but I was delightfully surprised to walk up to the machine and see that the cabinet artwork is pixel free and absolutely beautiful. The colours are vibrant and the artwork itself is very detailed. Staring at it for a good 5 minutes each side and you see more and more the more you look at the detail. I was very impressed.
I was surprised and believe Stern have done an amazing job on the cabinet, both sides and headbox plus the coindoor area look great. The difference between the left and right cabinet art is significant. The art rocks for sure.

Translite.

The translite is very colourful and has a cartoon feel to it, where as the cabinet whilst being cartoon like, seems to feel alot more high definition and more movie high definition with alot more depth.The translite is nice and I would give it a 8 out of 10. The cabinet artwork i would give a 9.5 out of 10.
The translite colours work well with the playfield colours.

Playfield.

The playfield is vibrant. The colours are terrific. The toys are excellent and look amazing. The layout works really well. There is plenty to see and nothing looks wrong. You can clearly see 90 percent of the playfield exceptionally well and the lighting is ample.
Coloured inserts are many and the playfield looks very upmarket with alot of action going on with both LEDS and std bulbs present both above and below the playfield. The pop bumpers have Leds and I noticed a few more around the playfield. This is a very attractive playfield. All proportions look like they work well with everything else.

Playfield Shots n Gameplay.

Well, I was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY, by this pinball title. It is missing nothing at all. It doesnt have the spinning disk like the LE, but it doesnt need it, or feels like it is missing it at all. There are ample shots to keep both novices and experienced players very busy and entertained. There are heaps of things to shoot for, and the 3rd flipper adds a dimension to this machine that gives it alot more to do than a 2 flipper game. The 3rd flipper can handle at least 4 different shots and it doesnt feel like a one shot pony at all. This is probably the best used and designed 3rd flipper I have used on any DMD game. Shaker motor effects are many and used well. Scoring is lower than most modern Sterns but it doesnt really matter even if ball times are very decent.

The pop bumper positions are excellent and the pops are used more than any other stern I have played before.
The magneto ball lock is excellent and there are 3 different ways to lock balls from different shots. The ramp shots are excellent and again there are plenty of shots for both ramps. The ramp shots and returns are very fast. The whole game is very fast. Multiball is fun, fast paced and even the game without multiball seems so fast paced, it feels like multiball all the time. Lots of fun here.  Playfield magnets on this machine are the best random magnets I have played on any DMD.

Audio and Dot Matrix Display.

The audio is excellent. The dot matrix annimations are many and very detailed. This machine rocks here and no expense has been spared.
The missions allow you to press both flippers at once to choose a mission/action X Men character, and pressing left or right flippers gets you to toggle thru the choices.
The one dot matrix display I loved was a jet taking off and this was one of many which blew me away.
The code on this machine feels finished, and u could happily play the machine like it is forever. AC/DC needed 2 or more updates to feel finished. Whoever did the code at Stern has gone well n truly past any other recent titles with the code on this game. It feels very finished.

Overall Experience.

Steve Ritchie and AC/DC used, USED to be the Stern KING. Not anymore. This game is as good, if not better in some/many ways than AC/DC , and
AC/DC is a bloody excellent game. This X Men Pro game is highly entertaining and I found it a easier game to play than AC/DC which can be a bit brutal. Ball times on X Men are twice, three times as long, and there is just so much to do. It really keeps u entertained every second of every ball.

The entertainment factor of X Men Pro is probably as fun, or MORE fun than any DMD machine I have played, and I have played probably 80 DMD titles and own plenty. For a DMD game to stand out to me, to really blow me away, it has to be good. This machine isnt good, ITS GREAT !

Everything here is polished off very well. The art is better, way better than you see on the internet, the audio and annimations are excellent, the general illumination lighting and insert colours are great, this machine could be left stock without mods and you would be happy as a pig in mud forever. I played it for 2 hours non stop and I havent done that on any pinball machine in 4 years.

Question - Should you seriously think about contacting AMD/STERN and ordering one if you want a new STERN that is ALOT of FUN, hell YES.
I wasnt that excited about the X Men theme, I am not really into cartoons etc, but I am DEFINATELY into this pinball. It is that good.

I have sent a email to AMD/Stern distributor and I have ordered one tonight. You cant get a more positive review than that.lol

regards, Cavey !

( 8 x photos below.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:19:36 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Re: X-Men Pro Review - Mini Review N Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
8 photos in total.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
next photos

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
next photos

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »
last 2 photos

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the review and the pics. ^^^
I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to get mine.
I will take the kids down on sunday and we will have a few games.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Awesome review Brett sounds like a fun game so no TRON for you?

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
X Men Pro - fun game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:07:15 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Awesome review Brett sounds like a fun game so no TRON for you?

Peter

PM sent Pete.
Wife whinged all day about a TRON. nag nag nag etc. She says NO more pins. She says kids would only play a cartoon type pinny.
She didnt know about X Men til I piped up with info on that one.lol  Then she was still NO more friggin pins. So I will order it and just not tell her til it arrives. Then I will say its for the kids for Xmas.lol  (last year i bought the wife a new tool box and BBQ for Xmas). There is always a way to slide something past her.lol

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the review and the pics. ^^^
I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to get mine.
I will take the kids down on sunday and we will have a few games.

Daz, dont go and play it. It will make your BNIB opening sooo much more exciting. U have to get to timezone on opening or you will not hear the audio. Also, when u swipe your card once in the machine, quickly press the start button 4 times and u get 4 games instead of one only. Thats what happened to me.lol   But i say stay away from it, wait for yours to come and u will enjoy n look forward to the start of October more.

Can u stay away Daz, or is the draw of just playing it tooo much to bear.lol    THE BNIB day will be awesome if you can stay away. !

You know it's funny...I was just thinking the same thing, that I should wait until the box arrives, unpack  and set it up, add the cliffy protector for the scoop and give the kids the first few games. Then have a few beers and get stuck into it.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »
Yeah you have to wait for your BNIB game don't spoil the surprise I did that with my AC/DC and to this day haven't played another one lol

Peter

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Great review mate, it is a great game, congrats on your purchase
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:36 PM »
what kind of score's did you get?   got 24m odd (4th place)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »
what kind of score's did you get?   got 24m odd (4th place)

I did see your name up in lights on both the AC/DC Pro and the X Men Pro. I knew instantly it was your scores ROB. lol

I think the best I got was 22 or 26 million. I didnt get to put my initials up when I was supposed to cause I hit the start button too quick.
(I was cheating a bit cause I got 4 games for only 1 x $1.50 swipe. You press the start button quickly non stop when u first swipe and it gives u 4 games which gave me a 4 player game instead of 1 player only game) 
Man, that X Men Pro was alot of fun. Thats why i could keep playing for a long while cause i only swiped 4 times but got literally 16 games.  I wasnt really playing for points, just trying to learn it and get long ball times. Because you cant hear the audio sometimes, it does make it hard with all the other machines screaming around you.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
I had about 8-10 games that lasted about a good hour on a LE, long games compared to some other games especially on first playing. My average was around the 10 mil and then a game at 19, 21 and 24 - needed 25 to get initials up. I am looking forward to playing a pro to see the difference with the spinner. Interestingly though I only played the first software version on the LE and not sure if the spinner has sped up a bit with software revisions, but at Pinfest I played a twister and the spinner action on that is much better in my opinion as spins faster and hangs on to the balls a bit longer.

Great work again Cavey, captured the game well.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts