Author Topic: Genie back from the dead  (Read 4199 times)

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Genie back from the dead
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Hi all
After seeing Ninos  APR post  and seeing the list of games I couldnt help but to try and get Genie #*#

after lots of PMs   i got it     It was another game from my past I had to have    Thanks Nino

Some pics of the game being unpacked      The game was VERY well wrapped for its journey  ^^^
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:57:52 PM by howzat »

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
Re: Genie back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
more

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
a few more  pics for now. Mitch has been doing the work on the boards and getting it up and running
He will add more info later.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Ooohhhh, looks pretty damn nice.  Another Sys 1 machine I would like to own one day. 

Congrats on the pickup.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »

Glad it made it to its new home safe and sound  ^^^

Cool game - Probably my favorite alongside Joker Poker. I think the Genie will look fantastic after Mitch weaves his magic.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »

Glad it made it to its new home safe and sound  ^^^

Cool game - Probably my favorite alongside Joker Poker. I think the Genie will look fantastic after Mitch weaves his magic.

They are the top 2 of my Sys 1 wishlist - Joker Poker and Genie. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

Glad it made it to its new home safe and sound  ^^^

Cheers Nino, the work has started  *%*

First thing i suggested was that we get the game up and running first, as i always do to any pin i'm bringing back from the dead and restoring.

So the first thing i did was to remove all the boards and displays to take with me to check them over and repair as needed. The first few pics here show what i was confronted with when i lifted the p/f  for a look see... Hmmm...  Kenwood car speaker.. wouldn't have worried too much about that except for the fact its 4 ohms, and the LM380 in the sound board wants to see an 8 ohm speaker  *!@ this was replaced with a spare original system 1 speaker i had.

And 2nd pic; someone had gone to a lot of trouble putting spade connector terminals onto the fuse clips.. another pointless mod that i promptly removed and resoldered the wires back onto the fuse holders. I reckon these connector terminals would've been a pretty major source for problems if left.

And now... 3rd pic... someones attempt to replace the original bridge rectifiers!! WTF were they thinking  ^&^ using 1 amp diodes for f#$Ks sake  !!@
i think its pretty safe to say this is NOT Nino's work here !!

Needless to say this was all the first job i undertook to correct all this mess, in the last pic its all been redone. The line filter had also been disconnected so i assumed it had shorted at some stage in its life (i've seen it happen on a few sys 1 pins) so i replaced that as well. Another thing i do is to rewire the mains fuse holder BEFORE the line filter.. that way if the filter shorts again it'll blow the fuse rather than trip the house's circuit breaker. I also removed the useless US type service power outlet.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:13:45 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
After i had completed the bottom board repair work i brought the boards home to start on them.

All the main score displays worked fine on my test rig, a couple of the needed a little recharge..ie place a few extra volts across the filament pins of the display glass to get them nice n bright again (this function is built into my test rig to do this). The credit display on the other hand had to be replaced as it had the glass nipple broken off the glass so it was cactus. I had a spare one that i supplied to Ian for his game.

1st couple of pics, the driver board after repairing.. had to replace a couple of the ICs and a couple of the smaller transistors plus the big 2n3055 transistor to get it going, 1st pic shows the board running on my test rig.  

The sound board needed the D/A converter chip replacing, plus i changed the main filter cap for the 5 volt supply.

The power supply had no 5 volts when tested in the game, which i later found out was because the voltage was set too high and the protection circuit was cutting in. I replaced the main filter cap and the pin headers for the input and +5 and -12 volt output pins, plus checked and resoldered all joints as needed. Another thing i did here was to use a trick i had seen on one of the Tim Arnold Sys1 supershow DVDs, and space the board up off the aluminium heatsink with long screws, which should make for easier repairs in future if needed.

I also discovered that i couldn't adjust the +60 volts for the displays, they were seeing about 80 volts! I traced this back to Q4 (mpsa43) which i replaced.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:19:49 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »
A couple of pics showing underneath the p/f. I didnt get a pic of it but on the top two flippers someone was too lazy to replace the wires to the EOS switches when they werent long enough to reach (must've changed them or the coils i'm guessing)  so they just used some screw terminals to join them  :lol i havent done anything with this as yet as the goal for now was just to make the game work, and i'll take care of that stuff later when i do the p/f restore.

And the Kickout hole coil plus its angled mounting bracket and screws were missing (2nd pic) so i supplied a new coil plus found a mounting bracket so the game could be played.
Prior to this being done, i had removed everything from the top of the p/f so Ian could do some cleaning while i was doing the board repairs etc. Ian wanted to be able to play the game for a while before doing a full on resto, but first i need to get started on his Stellar Wars p/f and b/g resto that he has already paid me for  :D
 I spent some time yesterday reassembling everyting after he had cleaned and polished the years of black crap off of the p/f, replacing globes and rubbers as i went.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:00:51 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
IT LIVES!!  $#$

After fitting the boards and replacing a couple of connectors we had it up and running  #*# well he has my spare Ni wumpf CPU board in it for testing until i can (hopefully) repair his original CPU, failing that i'll just sell him the Ni wumpf board cheap  *%* and buy myself another one later on.

Anyway after doing some work on the flippers and cleaning and adjusting a few switches we were playing Genie  #*# which was a treat for me as i had never played one before.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:36:42 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Genie will be left as is for now, but in time it'll get the full resto treatment being one of Ians holy grail titles.

First though as i said i need to get started on his Stellar Wars p'f and bg, plus finish card whiz (resto thread coming soon) and repair and tidy up a Jurassic Park that was brought to me DOA a week ago... plus a lot of other jobs that are starting to pile up on me  ^&^ like guitar amps etc im being asked to fix.. oh well its all money i guess *%*

Ian and myself will add to this thread at a later date when the full resto starts  *%*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:03:24 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Hi All
Thanks Mr PInboligist for getting Gennie up and running 

As all ive been able to do is clean it with niffty  and then finish off with novis   It looks nice and shinny now but I wasnt able to remove some black swirls.   When its resto time magic erasor will be used and will take care of that.

.All the plastics are in good nic and they all got washed in warm soapy water along with the post    The  screws and post were soaked  o/nite in niffty      so its looking great now     :lol

Howzat

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
Nice one boys  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:48 AM »
Had more than a few games on this yesterday, its shaping up to be a sweet machine.

Gotta say an arvo with the Port Maquarie  crew is exausting!....20 or so machines begging to be played....I am in actual physical pain today

Mitch and Ian are great hosts....the grand final didn't get much of a look in

Thanks again guys.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
Nice work guys  *%*