Author Topic: Check your Williams Flippers  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Check your Williams Flippers
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

The top flippers with the lightning bolt are slightly smaller in length, and were installed after the designers found the games "too easy" - thus increasing the chances of a ball going SDTM (straight down the middle).

This isn't quite correct. They were introduced at the request of the European distributors, who were getting feedback from operators that wanted less ball time per game. They thought this would lead to greater income per machine. Mark Ritchie explains this in his TOPcast interview.

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
i wonder if infilling them with something light like expanded foam or even silastic would add a bit of strength?

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks mate look forward to breaking a few  ^&( . The big pain about the bracing breaking is that it makes the flipper bend a lot and so becomes somewhat weaker and of course you start looking a eos spacings etc and don't think about looking at the actual flipper bat

Thats how i noticed them in the first place, the bat flexes slightly instead to giving a nice solid flip

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
I smashed (literally) my way through two sets of the sh!tty ones on my RFM before I realised there were better ones.

I actually had the "good" ones the whole time I was smashing flipper bats into pieces. The thing that threw me was that the casting of the "W" was actually better and crisper on the sh!tty ones - from the top the "good" ones looked like the copies as the "W" was all blurry. I hadn't thought to compare the underside to notice the extra reinforcement.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:47:43 PM by casperthefriendly »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
Ive filled broken flippers with Selleys 'Knead It" before.. works a treat