Author Topic: Flipper problem  (Read 140 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Flipper problem
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
On my embryon top flipper I noticed if I put a little force on it with my hand while in the up position, it chatters a little. Today it stopped working. I wiggled the wires and got small movements and the odd full movement. I finally bent the brown wire lug (I think) upwards and it is working again but will chatter if I put a little force on it.

Could this be due to a loose connection or broken coil wire or something. Do I need to replace the coil you think or just resolder that lug etc etc

Thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Flipper problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
I had this same issue on one of my Ballys.  With the flipper button depressed, a bit of finger pressure on the tip of the flipper would cause the "chatter".  I dug a bit into the web, and the solution (at least in my case) was replacing the coil stop.

If you simply change the coil stop with a coil stop in the game from another coil (try the other flipper's coil stop), see if that fixes it.  Coil stops become magnetised (and mutilated) over the long haul from the constant hammering.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Flipper problem
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
I had this same issue on one of my Ballys.  With the flipper button depressed, a bit of finger pressure on the tip of the flipper would cause the "chatter".  I dug a bit into the web, and the solution (at least in my case) was replacing the coil stop.

If you simply change the coil stop with a coil stop in the game from another coil (try the other flipper's coil stop), see if that fixes it.  Coil stops become magnetised (and mutilated) over the long haul from the constant hammering.

+1

A flipper kit would solve all the issues. I'll bet the original flipper parts have had a hard time over the years ! You can file and adjust the EOS to reduce the chatter, but it will occur again if the original, worn out parts are still installed.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia