Author Topic: elektra issues  (Read 1990 times)

Offline vanhos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
elektra issues
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
l am currently the owner of a elektra pinball machine. after firing it up and checking out how it works and  plays over past few weeks. l have came up with a few issues.

Any help in solving them would be great l'm a virgin pinball owner so this is going to be a long process at first.

l'm sparky by trade but electronics are definatley not my strong point. well l don't no anything really.

here we go any help be great. l want to solve most of these before l move this machine into the lounge room.

1. Bottom play field does not work ,lights,flippers but ball kicks out.
2. right slingshot wont work with the 2 switches but works in its test mode.
3. 8 globes are out l checked the a few found one is 12v arn't they  all 6.3v 555.
4. found 2 targets don't work. haven't really looked yet.
5. left bottom flipper isn't as tight as others but still works.
6. back of the lower cabinet is stuffffeeeeedddd. needs to be fully replaced.
7. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE this one l think broken and missing plastics. bent aswell but found out the oven trick on here will try one day.

l down loaded the manual the other day for this machine.

any suggestion would be great cheers.
pics to follow once l work out how to post them.
HOS

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: elektra issues
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
yep all insert and G.I. lamps should be 6.3v.
if after replacing the lamps and checking all the wiring, connections and sockets you find the lamps still don't work then i would suspect the lamp driver board.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:06:47 AM »

1. Bottom play field does not work ,lights,flippers but ball kicks out.

Check the 555 globe is working on the "Soldenoid Expander" board located under the playfield. If the 555 is not working, then the solenoids tend to play up.

2. right slingshot wont work with the 2 switches but works in its test mode.

Does the slingshot switches register in the "switch test" ?

3. 8 globes are out l checked the a few found one is 12v arn't they  all 6.3v 555.

Should be 555 6.3V

4. found 2 targets don't work. haven't really looked yet.

Switch test will confirm this.

5. left bottom flipper isn't as tight as others but still works.

Probably needs a flipper rebuild. Sounds like the spring is too loose.

6. back of the lower cabinet is stuffffeeeeedddd. needs to be fully replaced.

Ireplaced the panel on the Eight Ball I'm currently restoring. Can be done with a small sheel of 20mm ply from Bunnings and the right tools !

Thats a start !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:30 PM »
Cheers.

I did a switch test and found two switches came up on screen.

Switch 8 which is the lower play field saucer. Its closed because the ball is constintly sitting there. The other was number 2 which is the switch after the kicker( left and right of outhole it says in the manual). Its closed but when i opened it the ball wouldnt kick out. So im not sure if it should be closed or not. But in saying that it is a switch when the ball goes over it i asume it should be closing it.

Getting back to the target switches they didnt come up on switch test as a fault. But with a meter they are closing when you lightly touch them.  Since i fiddle with one it now works but the lower target 3 rd one out of the three still doesnt work during a game.

Just got my globes so will replace tomorrow.

The globe you mentioned for the lower play field is ok so i assume its something else.
HOS

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
While i was looking about i found the dreaded 200 amp fuse covered in foil and it was very hot. The fuse is no5. I think its for the general illumination ( guessing thats what GI means in the book).

Just woundering were the best spot to buy 32v 20amp 3ag fuses from. Seeing we dont have electronics store anymore.

Also was thinking about buying few aligator clips running this through a 20 circuit breaker for finding the fault with the fuse. Assuming there is a fault.

I had a look through the manuall i think i can brake circuit into 4 might help in fault finding.
HOS

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:53 AM »
you should be able to get them from Super cheap, auto barn or an auto electrician

PM me your address and i will send you a couple of 20 amp fuses if you get stuck.

Yes GI stands for general Illumination
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Replaced foil fuse its fine hasnt blown. I went through few globes found few black ones and also 12v globes. Replaced were i thought they looked to old.

Found one globe not working for a target replaced globe still no good. Also found seven glibes out on three different circuits no voltage either these were on the top cabinet right behind the elektra wording.

I checked the solinoid on expander board found 555 glibe is ok. But checked bit more. Theres a circuit through the coil. But only 22v getting to it. I belled out back to main power supply found 22v coming out of there. Ill check drawings tomorrow.

HOS

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
Checked the switches on the right sling shot. Found they do not work in test mode. Changed diode and rewired bare jumper cables. Still not working in test mode. Belled out switches they seem fine. Were to next.  Im not sure.

This is also the same for the 3rd middle target.

There is a brown/white cable going to both of these switches.

Not sure if this has something to do with it.

Also traced the blown globes on the back glass that are not working. Found they go to the aux lamp driver board. Followed them through to the chips all light circuits four of them go to each leg number 6 of each chip. The resistors are ok. On the jacks there labeled 1,2,3,4, cloud. On test mode i get just 1v at socket with globe removed any idea.
HOS

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »

On page 65 of the manual (from ipdb.org) - The right slingshot and middle drop target #3 (and lower level #5 target) on on the same row. The other switches in common are the tilt, 2 X bonus on lower level and the top target. So I would confirm all these switches are out and then I think the problem would be the entire row. That row wire is PIN 14 on J2 of the MPU. I'd check if there is any corrosion on the pins of J2. Other than that, check that there is no broken wire (brown with a white trace) to any of those switches.

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Thought id vacuum out the pinball today. As i was cleaning there it was two wires hanging in the air next to a tilt switch. Joined them up attached back to switch and bingo all the switches on that matrix now work. Brown and white cable which is what i was looking for.
HOS

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »
Only light issue on the backglass and lower playfield to go.
HOS

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
Great to hear you're sorting this game out  #*#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
I have been checking out the light issue i have with the back glass lights. There is a few that do not work on lamp test. I traced the cloud ones back to the auxillery lamp driver. I checked what is also on this aux driver. I noticed it also does all of the lower playfield lights aswell. Which also doesnt work on lamp test.

Im really not sure were to go now.

Plus im not sure how the lower play field also works. On the aux driver it also has a cable going to the sol expander board which is part of the lower playfield.

Do u think the lights which arnt working and the lower playfield not working are the same fault.or am i heading down the wrong path.
HOS

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
While im posting any idea what these numbers were for enraved into the machine.
HOS

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:29 AM »

I'd be looking at the Aux lamp driver. Check for dry joints. Check the connectors for loose wires. If you can understand schematics and you have a multimeter, you can check that power is going to the board.

Those engravings are the serial number - you are in luck - they match !