Author Topic: Heres a thought......( future pinball displays DMD or LCD Screens )  (Read 390 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
DMD placement on future Pinballs needs to change and once the theatre of magic I'm working on is finished I'm sure others will agree.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I am still satisfied with score reels, or plasma displays. The important stuff is on the playfield.

Score reels #1 for me!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
The colour dmd's that recently came out for a couple of 90's bally's are actually lcd's

Yes, and they aren't the same shape as a DMD either.

How do you mean? do they rotate it? got any photos during a install

Big square-ish unit that protrudes outside the borders of the speaker panel on both top and bottom.

For this reason it is unlikely we will see a colordmd for CV  - I tried to fit the MM one to my CV and the backbox can't be raised or lowered properly and the playfield can't be slid back fully into place.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:13:11 PM by pinsanity »

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
I'm all for the new LCD or led screens, gotta change with the times.

I don't think cost wise DMD and LCD would be an option.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I predict dmd for Pro model games.

LCD for LE games.

DMD should stay because DMD has constant movement and does its job very well. Just look how little the WOZ one moves/does little during most gameplay to then realise how much DMD action u are missing from a normal game.

Keep DMD in every game, and replace half of the translite area with a LCD for LE buyers who want to fork out the extra.

Just because LCD is in a WOZ, does NOT mean LCD will now become the norm. Just look at Pin2000, it didnt become the norm in any pinball after it was invented, and u have plenty of room in a backbox for a LCD screen today, but if a LCD doesnt do much during gameplay, it wont be wanted as much as people think. Also, because a DMD is set very low, u can see most of it during half of the normal gameplay, but you cannot look up much higher and watch a large LCD during ball/fast gameplay, cause u cant watch the playfield n monitor at the same time cause it is too high.

LCD will not totally replace the DMD in my mind at all.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
LCD in my RFM, and it has to be the best marriage of video and playfield action to date.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
LCD in my RFM, and it has to be the best marriage of video and playfield action to date.

totally agree, RFM visuals are excellent..it works here cause the picture sits low in the cabinet so to speak with the way it reflects on the playfield glass etc...pin2000 worked extremely well for the technology they had to work with at the time..

std pinball needs to copy this to make large LCDs work better cause they sit too high otherwise....

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

totally agree, RFM visuals are excellent..it works here cause the picture sits low in the cabinet so to speak with the way it reflects on the playfield glass etc...pin2000 worked extremely well for the technology they had to work with at the time..

std pinball needs to copy this to make large LCDs work better cause they sit too high otherwise....

Pin2000 didnt work well at all.. you cant see what you are meant to be shooting at. Nice idea.. crap execution.
What LCD does during gameplay is entirely up to the designers.. it can do anything they want it to do. DMD definition is bloody awful, even LED moving screens are becoming more like LCD with pixel definition at 5mm..4mm and even 3mm.. all  designed for close up viewing with better definition. LCD is CHEAP! Its in every phone and gives great graphics. DMD is dead cavey. Stern may not embrace it straight away, but then we come to expect that of Stern... hell it took a while for flippers at the bottom of the PF to become the norm.
Give it up Cavey, Gary doesnt love you as much

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
I don't care how clear or crisp the LCD on WOZ is, the size of the screen is absurd.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:

Pin2000 didnt work well at all.. you cant see what you are meant to be shooting at. Nice idea.. crap execution.
What LCD does during gameplay is entirely up to the designers.. it can do anything they want it to do. DMD definition is bloody awful, even LED moving screens are becoming more like LCD with pixel definition at 5mm..4mm and even 3mm.. all  designed for close up viewing with better definition. LCD is CHEAP! Its in every phone and gives great graphics. DMD is dead cavey. Stern may not embrace it straight away, but then we come to expect that of Stern... hell it took a while for flippers at the bottom of the PF to become the norm.

Gary doesnt have to love me, just my money when I keep buying the occassional new Pro.lol

Whats wrong with the latest LED red dot matrix displays with excellent graphics n contents etc... sometimes, if it aint broke, leave it...

The current makeup of pinball (say AC/DC and X Men works really well) so sometimes leaving things alone works...I am happy with the current technology cause it does its job really well.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Disagree Gav, I have no trouble seeing the targets on my RFM. But what an LCD in pin2k does, is push the reflected image towards the background a little more, did you play mine at pinfest? Think it made an improvement?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:

Exactly, retropin.

Nicastro wanted a game changer but he gave the designers limited resources to come up with something that couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a pinball or an arcade game. It ultimately failed on both levels.

Sales were only stronger on these titles than previous traditional titles for 2 reasons:

RFM - Nicastro convinced Nova Games in Germany that it was a winner and a "direct sequel along the lines of AFM" (pftfft &^&) so they committed themselves to purchasing a significant number of machines (as much as 50% of them from what I have read) which ultimately boosted the production run way over the average. Unsurprisingly they (Nova Games) rebadged their company and refocused most of their business interests into slot machines shortly afterwards.

This is also why every container load from Europe has at least one RFM in it - you can buy a fully working excellent condition RFM for 500Euro (650AU) in Germany. Not bad when importers are selling them for over $2k here in Aus on the basis of it being "unique".

Star Wars sold......because it is Star Wars, just like ACDC is ACDC. In cases like those, gameplay and design unfortunately takes a backseat to the title itself.

This is what happens when you adopt the Stern philosophy of cost cutting and deceptive marketing, "whatever it takes to get units out the door and even if it turns out to be mediocre at best, the next title will blow everyone away, cross my fingers".  &&

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Disagree Gav, I have no trouble seeing the targets on my RFM. But what an LCD in pin2k does, is push the reflected image towards the background a little more, did you play mine at pinfest? Think it made an improvement?

I didnt im afraid.. there was some kid on it who never left it!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Yep, that machine really attracts the kids, my young son got upset when I told him that I may sell it. The LCD mod makes a big difference, shame you didnt get a chance to try it out.