Author Topic: Updating RFM Prism problems... Really need help  (Read 736 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Updating RFM Prism problems... Really need help
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
ok Did a successful upgrade to my RFM used an xp laptop changed to 95 compatible, went to com port settings   from control panel  to hardware to com 1 then advanced, changed parity to even, set baud to the same as the update program. Saved the update to C: NO FOLDER. ran the update program, selected 1.5 update and 10 min later we are set to go  $#$ At no time did I change the uddate code settings. update code is flashing and disable is ghosted Don't try to install v1.6
Well done. I haven't tried v1.6 as it didn't have any features to improve the system apart from pricing specs or something from memory. Now to get dazzat going.

Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Ok at least we can progress from here. Sorry for some silly sounding questions but we need to be on the same page. When you say the rfm bios you aren't talkng about the pc bios, blue screen? Everything people have suggested referred to the screens that come up pressing the service buttons on the coin door. If you have modified any of the true pc bios settings please advise which one

I haven't been able to go into the PC bios or play around with it yet due to not having an old keyboard.
I only ever go into the RFM service area ;-)

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
Ok at least we can progress from here. Sorry for some silly sounding questions but we need to be on the same page. When you say the rfm bios you aren't talkng about the pc bios, blue screen? Everything people have suggested referred to the screens that come up pressing the service buttons on the coin door. If you have modified any of the true pc bios settings please advise which one

I haven't been able to go into the PC bios or play around with it yet due to not having an old keyboard.
No need to go into the bios so stay out. Have you tried changing comm a settings on your pc to match the transfer software speeds etc

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
If you want to borrow the laptop and cable your welcome

Congrats on your flawless update rustalan! Glad it worked out for you.
Thankyou for the offer and I might in the future just in case it is my laptop is the problem (which I don't think it is) but I will keep trying with what I have.

I also have the 1.6 update if you would like me to send that to you.

Where did you get your rfm 1.5 from?

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »

No need to go into the bios so stay out. Have you tried changing comm a settings on your pc to match the transfer software speeds etc

Done deal I won't touch LOL

Only have used 9600 or 115 without success... I only ever get a connection to RFM on pinball2000 manager, and always a fail on transfer

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
Do you have an old PC that will take a pinball update card pinball god, I have one but no pc old enough just to use that, supposedly that is the easiest way :-S

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

Thankyou for the offer and I might in the future just in case it is my laptop is the problem (which I don't think it is) but I will keep trying with what I have.

Go here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=WB_TECHSUPP
1.6 needs the PUB updater and from what I can gather it's hardware. 1.5 is the way to go

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

Go here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=WB_TECHSUPP
1.6 needs the PUB updater and from what I can gather it's hardware. 1.5 is the way to go

Thanks, that is where I got mine too, just wanted to make sure I didn't get a dodgy one

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
I have pub but no pc for it unfortunately. Assuming you laptop is good, your cable is good, what you can try is via device manager etc is go to comm1 and change a setting and try an upload. The easiest setting to know if it is correct is the baud rate. Make sure comm1 is identical to what is listed in the update software. Now change comm1 parity to E and try an upload. No go change parity to N and try an upload. I never heard of using Odd parity but you could try it. If these fail then do the combinations parity but also change data bits 7 or 8 and if still no go, try all combinations with stop bits 1 or 2. There is 1.5 but again I never used this in my updates.

I know this will take time but will elimate the settings from the issue. Each time you try a new combination try an upload.

Good luck

Also forget about v1.6 and do v1.5 as that is what I have. Also read carefully the readme dic ha came with the update software for hints on where the rom files should reside on your pc and what the filnames need to be
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:06:43 PM by pinball god »

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »
I give up! I've been on this for over a week and still no go  ^&^

It's not like I don't know what I am doing, PC's old and new are my specialty and funtime.
The only thing I can think of doing now is taking out the RFM PC and installing it into someone elses RFM who has done a recent update and worked and try it that way  *!@

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
I'm sure you will get there with this.

I stopped designing things around PCs a long time ago because it very quickly became obvious to me that the speed of obsolescence and the overall dodgy reliability meant than anything built around a PC will have a limited life.

You are finding this out - having to scrounge around to find a laptop that has a serial port etc etc etc.

PC's just are not suited to embedded systems as used in all early pinballs - they are still 100% repairable but I don't like to think about the newer stuff using PC's - we are going to see a lot of it parted out long before it should be......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »
if you run out of options i know someone up here who has a RFM and i am sure if i ask nicely him he will let me update your prisim card in his machine. I have my laptop with a working version of the software (i used it on cavey's RFM)
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »
I give up! I've been on this for over a week and still no go  ^&^

It's not like I don't know what I am doing, PC's old and new are my specialty and funtime.
The only thing I can think of doing now is taking out the RFM PC and installing it into someone elses RFM who has done a recent update and worked and try it that way  *!@
Do you want to have a go with my RFM before sending to Qld?

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »
I would like to thank rustalan for his time.
It seemed that my Laptop that I was using was the culprit in this whole matter, as soon as we plugged in rustalans old school laptop it updated beautifully.

You were a great help and thank you for letting my son & I into your home to play some pinnys, Mame and have a few pinny discussions in general while we wait for the update to complete.

I hope I can return the favor to you some day  $%$

Still embarrassed for not introducing myself  :lol:  How rude!!!!  &^&

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
You are more then welcome and it was a pleasure  ^^^