Author Topic: Old V New..?  (Read 30779 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Old V New..?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
Stern are doing good things with pinball. The idea that I'm a "Stern basher" is simply untrue and is playing the man and not the ball. I've pointed this out or more than one occasion.

Can anyone list what stern didnt innovate since 1999 is the better question.

They didn't innovate pinball from 1999 to today. It is impossible to list something that does not exist. Stern have not innovated anything of note since 1999. I'm still waiting for one innovation. Maybe USB firmware updates ?

I am passionate about building pinball up, not knocking it down, cause these days it seems everyone is a knocker. I could be wrong...I am sure every person at stern works their ass off to try n please us pinheads, they must feel like crap when they read all the critics posts saying they could have done much better..then stern asks how, and no one can give them a example.....that must be frustrating to say the least.lol

We are ALL passionate about this. I'm merely stating what I believe to be complacency on Stern's behalf. I guess if the only cars produced were Fords, we would have no point of reference. Ford dictate the level of quality and the direction of the product. Stern have churned out the same product since 1999. I'm glad they are still around and I would LOVE to own a NIB Stern - but nothing grabs me as interesting (yet). It is interesting that this debate was started because of WOZ and JJP's innovative ideas - The large LCD - Which incidentally, I don't like (the size is too big).. The new kid on the block brings innovation to the table, and there is no doubt Stern are under pressure.

Critics - EVERY single product released on the market has critics. What's Stern's problem was that it didn't listen to critics. It just churned out title after title. ONLY recently have they recognized the home market is now their target market. It is only within the last 12 months that they have employed designers that made successful games in the 90's. Two years ago they were cutting down the features of games to save costs.

I think they finally listened to critics and that's what has been the turnaround for them. AC/DC is the best pin released in 20 years. But critics were demanding Stern release a music pin (AC/DC, KISS, Metallica) 5 years ago, but they didn't listen, and then they brought out Rolling Stones (the biggest flop in 20 years).

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia