Author Topic: Old V New..?  (Read 30715 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Old V New..?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
Stern in 2000 tried the concept of linking games to other machines once before with their prototype 'Golden Cue'. Never eventuated.

Since then the only piece of innovation that is worthy of the title 'innovation'; Stewies Playfield from Family Guy.
It was novel, it was perfect for the theme, worked very well and well constructed. But again it is not a progression for others to follow, I thought it was different and innovative for that title alone.

maybe they should revisit it,, theirs wifi and plenty of other good networking systems now. and they need to put it in to production to see if its going to be successful or not, but certainly joining games together is going to be a great feature. i remember pre xbox thinking why do i need a console joined to the internet and versing people world wide, games are fun any ways. then when i bought one i relised how much more fun the experience is when its more socially interactive. i think this is a concept that is coming to the party late for pinball

but i do recon we are paying allot of money for one game, and if the game is networked and online, you could purchase new sets of rules for more than one game on your pinball, have  different rules using the same theme and playfield of course, but the rules are different and you can select what rules you wish to play, and also means stern make money after the date of sale also, plus you can pay for network sub******ions to use their server for online gaming on your pinball.
there is more room for revenue for stern and then people will have more than one use for their pinball machine they spent good money on.

one way they could make an old dmd look old and outdated is by moving in that direction, it would be like comparing an xbox360 to a nintendo entertainment system.  

P.S - that LCD digitised playfield idea/design etc, I think is an absolute shocker, an abomination...u might as well just buy a computer game and be done with it, its like a blow up doll, far from the real thing...so far infact, could u even call that pinball, more like simulated pinball....yuk yuk yuk..its like having a robot for a wife..its just not the same or even close...cyborg pinball versus the game we love..that will be the end of pinball if

i tend to agree with that cavey.

as for the large lcd whilest the debate about seeing it whilest playing is absolutely correct, i think it does need to be big, it would make it attractive to sites if you can put up adverts on it when the game isnt playing. you could advertise things from your business on it, i hope they have room for that on woz. i also think it would be usefull in attract mode, but it seems JJP is using the screen as a diagnostic tool as well so the space would be handy for that, and it looks like it has menu's and other things for pinball, rather then using the small dmd to go through your setting one option at a time which every one knows is a pain, it does take a while to go through settings using the small dmd, it would be handy with the big lcd to have allot more displayed in an actual menu. there was  vid in the woz thread that showed the lcd being used with the diagnostics which looked usefull.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:37:36 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
This is a useful debate in my opinion! It is useful because someone may come up with a great idea which we could see in a machine in the future.

When I think about innovation I think about totally new ideas, or applying old ideas in a new way.

A totally new idea would be something to aim at that is not a ramp, target, loop, spinner, captive ball and so on, but something completely new. Totally new ideas can be difficult to think up! But it has been done in the past, is happening right now and will continue on happening in the future. There are heaps of pinball innovations like this. Stern has done nothing I can think of that is totally new.

Innovation by applying old ideas in a new way would be, for example, using a different type of sensor or method to know where the ball is other than a mechanical switch or an optical switch - for example, using a laser array in place of a switch matrix. I don't think Stern has done anything that innovative either. The ship on Pirates of the Caribbean is this sort of innovation in its least innovative form, as it is dressing up a bunch of switches as a ship which is also a collapsible playfield toy. Mousin' Around, for example, takes the idea of a ball lock and drop target and merges them into the one feature to produce a ball lock that drops and holds the ball under the playfield until released. What has Stern given us?

Having said that, they are still alive as a company and are making pinball machines.

I would buy a POTC at the right price, and have nothing against Stern.

However, I think it is important that someone be thinking about how to innovate within pinball so that it still feels modern and attempts to engage a new and younger audience, and to provide easier maintenance.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
well said, very good points...

rather than innovating via changing flipper switches from old contact types to say optos, and then moving on to another style of switch, i think the innovation we are looking for isnt efficiency innovation, but NEW GAMEPLAY FEATURE innovation...

thats what interests me, and probably everyone who wants to see new and exciting tricks/toys/features/weird stuff on playfields....that really affect and enhance gameplay...what can we all think up...whats something really cool that hasnt been done before, or something we can modify or change that has been done before...its not an easy answer...i will have to exercise my grey matter and think of something as well....

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
well said, very good points...

rather than innovating via changing flipper switches from old contact types to say optos, and then moving on to another style of switch, i think the innovation we are looking for isnt efficiency innovation, but NEW GAMEPLAY FEATURE innovation...

thats what interests me, and probably everyone who wants to see new and exciting tricks/toys/features/weird stuff on playfields....that really affect and enhance gameplay...what can we all think up...whats something really cool that hasnt been done before, or something we can modify or change that has been done before...its not an easy answer...i will have to exercise my grey matter and think of something as well....

Ive always thought a feature where magnets would turn on during a 5 ball multiball and freeze all balls  to the side of the playfield ( wherever they are placfd at the time). You are then given another 4 balls to try and knock them free. If not done in the allotted time then all balls are released giving you a total of 9 balls coming at you at once

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
Stern needs to get rid of those hideous pattern inserts - who too finds these outdated?
Why not just make the inserts a frosted no pattern look - like the pinnies of yesteryear.

SC.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline SwingLid

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »

Well.....

Looks like new won out... Getin me a Metallica pin in June...

Yew....

Has anyone been playing one and what did you think??

:)

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »

Well.....

Looks like new won out... Getin me a Metallica pin in June...

Yew....

Has anyone been playing one and what did you think??

:)

I didn't enjoy playing it as much as I thought I would.
Game looks great sounds good and plays sort of meh imo.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline SwingLid

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

I went and played the pro at Timezone on the goldy and to be honest its crap against the LE.. Didnt think it would have made such a diference but there you go.. what does everyone thing of the new pin on offer?

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
Hi Guys
I played Metallica at Pinfest     and loved it  #*#

It was on comp night and I won that game     I really liked the in line drops    it played fast and smooth    great game     Howzat

Offline shaneo

• Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
Hmm, used to drive a Torana, now drive a WRX. No way would I think about going back to dinosours!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Hmm, used to drive a Torana, now drive a WRX. No way would I think about going back to dinosours!

hey don't knock the toranas. I still drive one  :lol

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

hey don't knock the toranas. I still drive one  :lol

Let's see how much your WRX is worth in 20 years time, my moneys on the Torana

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »
From pinballs to cars...

Does the conversation go that way often?

Many rev heads round here?

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »
From pinballs to cars...

Does the conversation go that way often?

Many rev heads round here?

I too drive a WRX. They are a common car for people with nerdy hobbies/interests :) Any Torana that still exists in good condition in 20 years time would have had more than a WRX worth of money spent on it to keep it that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that!