Author Topic: Upgrade the forum software  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Upgrade the forum software
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
 $.$
Nino, time to upgrade the forum software

another forum I use also uses the same software that AP uses, but they just upgraded to a newer version (SMF 2.0.2)

I do find it to be a much cleaner look  ^^^

thanks for everything anyway

Pete

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Upgrade the forum software
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »

Nino and I have spoken about the changes - coming soon!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »

Will be done in December / January.  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
you guys are the best  ^^^

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
just keep it simple though, all for change but not when it is a pain in the a*#e to get around.

keep up the greta work guys  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
I agree please keep it simple, there are way to many over complicated forums with useless wanky features, no point fixing what isn't broke imo

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
I know you don't want to know but probably good to know. AA has just introduced a new wanky feature, moving towards ebay type thing with sales classifieds so all sale items in there categories and proposing auctions - just over the top - please don't do that.

Keep the same -  well organised system with some maybe some nice features - adding a favourite thread section would be cool where each person can keep say 10 of there favourite threads in a list and you can quickly go to it and find it great for looking back for info on particular resto tips etc.

Keep the most recent 3 posts like you do - up to 5 would be cool

and love the feature of - show new replies to your posts - use that every day and every visit.

I do like a pinside forum feature and don't know if anyone is interested, but under your avatar have your post number and a pinball icon , not like pinside graphical wow factor list have a simple list of what you have games you had, have, wish list and for sale. Maybe another option for the "for sale" have a second icon red $ sign next to your avatar so when posts get listed you could see that a guy has a game for sale and you could click on it and it shows a list of games and then you could PM him / her some scene shots.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:53:49 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
Swinks, AA uses vBulletin software, one of the most used and therefore many addons are avaliable for it
AP uses SMF software and I do not belive that it has as many addons avaliable

besides, Nino and Nick seem to want AP to be a place for discusion of Pinball, clasified areas and Sponsors are secondary

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
I don't know much about the various softwares and very happy with the AP setup and hope that a few features stay like the ones I listed, as for the pinball listing may help people find a pin that they are chasing or trying to sell - helps everyone.

Totally agree with you, Nino and Nick keep it about pinballs, pinball discussion and a cool forum group.  *%*

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »
One of the issues we have on the forum is that people jump on regularly, type 20 useless posts in a 30 minute period just so they can see the pinball machines for sale, then they jump off and never post again. Everyone says welcome, but they never post again or comeback...

The 20 post rule needs to be scrapped cause it serves no valid purpose, but creates useless one off posts. Some people are readers and will never post, so if access to sales threads are given, without 20 posts, it wont hurt imo. Does anyone else think the same thing.?

Otherwise the forum layout works very well and is exceptionally easy to navigate. I am hoping it stays very much the same and simple.
This forum is much easier to use than most, and I find the AA site no where as user friendly as this forum. Keep AP like AP and ignore being the same as others out there.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Sorry to talk about another forum but one thing I do like about AA is the range of smileys.
Will more smileys come with the new upgrade or is that a different add on?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Sorry to talk about another forum but one thing I do like about AA is the range of smileys.
Will more smileys come with the new upgrade or is that a different add on?

Yes yes, more smilies

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
One of the issues we have on the forum is that people jump on regularly, type 20 useless posts in a 30 minute period just so they can see the pinball machines for sale, then they jump off and never post again. Everyone says welcome, but they never post again or comeback...

No matter what Nick and Nino do, no matter what rules they make, you will always get people who use this forum for their own gain and then leave
It is simply a part of forum life

it is up to us regulars to either deal (buying or selling) with new people or not

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
what about just removing the minimum 20 posts requirement for sales viewing , and having a one x Introductory post in the Introduce Yourself thread as a 1 x mandatory post instead ? (or nothing changes and 20 useless posts just keep appearing with dissapearing new members forever)  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !