Author Topic: New Stern Kit - Redemption Tickets !  (Read 10283 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
New Stern Kit - Redemption Tickets !
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
A NEW Stern REDEMPTION kit has just been posted on the Stern website

http://www.sternpinball.com/Games/pinball-redemption-kit.aspx

It bolts onto the side of the machine ?....

Anyway, its out, but looks a little BIG...I thought maybe some sort of coindoor version may have been better but they have teamed up with a company who already has the hardware made so thats the answer for it being square n bulky I guess...
If u buy a 2nd hand machine oneday, and it has bolt holes on the RHS of the cabinet, you will know it had a ticket dispenser perhaps...lol

Things are moving forward.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: New Stern Kit - Redemption Tickets !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
 *!@

They never quite get it right though do they.. why it doesnt come through the coin door is beyond me... it gets bolted to the side!
Stern does it again!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
maybe the designer wants kids to see that there is a shitload of tickets to be won, hence getting kids over to play it...its probably smart to heavily feature it to young kids by making it blatant...

(also just noticed, a few members (swinksy n amusements) have quickly mentioned this new ticket dispenser on another few posts,
.....sorry, didnt see that before i just posted this thread up.....)

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
great minds think alike as I listed this in the innovations thread a few minutes after you started this thread without knowing - lol

I agree Gav, even a under cabinet mounted so it sits flat and no permanent holes through the cabinet, use a key to unlock and a drawer slides out to put more tickets in. Nah lets put some holes in the side and cover the art ????
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
*!@

They never quite get it right though do they.. why it doesnt come through the coin door is beyond me... it gets bolted to the side!
Stern does it again!

hahaha I thought the same thing when I saw this posted on their Facebook this morning. Let's obstruct that side art with a horrible looking box on the side. Not to mention adding width to a row of machines and obstructing access.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
maybe the designer wants kids to see that there is a shitload of tickets to be won, hence getting kids over to play it...its probably smart to heavily feature it to young kids by making it blatant...

Love the optimism Cavey but truth be known...

......its dumb..

...DOH!

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
LOL
they give you a plug kit to fill in the holes.....that will keep the resale value  !!@
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
Stern are making cabinet decals avail now for most of the latest Sterns via application to the Stern dealer u purchased from....

when i buy my next BNIB machine, I will be ordering a set for each of acdc pro, x men pro n avengers.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
*!@

Stern does it again!

so close but no cigar, a stuffup of a  long overdue idea imo,

how big was that reel from your bowling game ? recon you would need to bolt it to the side of the pinball? maybe i can build them a coin door that holds a reel.
bolt the bastard to the floor, where your coins draw is, have a slot in the coin door to let the tickets out, and use the coin door as a cover for the ugly mech, put a nice decal on the door to say redemption machine, HOW HARD IS THAT? seriously stern do you want an every day bloke like me to show you how to do simple fabrication?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:20:51 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »
Apparently the original reel was too small as the tickets ran out too quick and so the op put in a bigger one. Everything was hidden behind the door and the slot where the tickets came out had removable TICKETS decals if you wanted it for home use.
1 slot coins... 1 slot tickets.
The game wouldnt be as deep as a modern pin either and seeing as all Stern boards are in the header im still struggling to see how they came up with the placement for this.
I mean good on them for doing it but FFS... who the hell  thought it was well executed??

BTW... boards in my TEN STRIKE are in the bottom of the cabinet and with the shallower profile there was still room for coin slot, ticket redemption mechs etc

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
Apparently the original reel was too small as the tickets ran out too quick and so the op put in a bigger one. Everything was hidden behind the door and the slot where the tickets came out had removable TICKETS decals if you wanted it for home use.
1 slot coins... 1 slot tickets.
The game wouldnt be as deep as a modern pin either and seeing as all Stern boards are in the header im still struggling to see how they came up with the placement for this.
I mean good on them for doing it but FFS... who the hell  thought it was well executed??

BTW... boards in my TEN STRIKE are in the bottom of the cabinet and with the shallower profile there was still room for coin slot, ticket redemption mechs etc

it is good for pinball in modern arcades, and at least kids will have better fun with a pinball spewing tickets than they would from a basket ball game spuin tickets. its also good its optional and means a machine can be upgraded with a kit, i think that is how it should be, makes sense. but a bit more thought could have been put into it.
I honestly dont know why this hasn't been done before, but to me that system they have just looked at a catalog at a external ticket machine and then thought that will do.

it looks like a rushed idea and plucked out of the air and they have just started selling the first idea that came into their head.
the fact its a photoshop i have feeling it hasn't even been made yet.
when was this released??

it certainly leaves room for some one to design and sell a better redemption setup, the stupid part is this system has almost created a NEED for a better positioned ticket system.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:13:57 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
I honestly dont know why this hasn't been done before, but to me that system they have just looked at a catalog at a external ticket machine and then thought that will do.

Remember that Stern and innovation thread we were talking about?  #@#

It has been done before by you know who.....

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14365

Anyway, I think the "in your face" placement of the dispenser is a good idea to be honest. Get those pins back onsite into the Chuck E Cheese outlets with a renewed focus primarily as a redemption machine and there is that new generation "being made aware of and changing the perception of pinball" I was talking about.

WOZ should do the same with the standard edition units - and it is a lot more family friendly than a lot of Sterns titles (and thus more palatable to the Chuck E Cheese demographic.).

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »
theres only one SLIGHT problem with all of this...the demographic for people who collect tickets to cash in at the counter to get prizes, are children usually aged 12 yrs and younger....(who are the most less likely to play a pinball machine that they cant even see the playfield properly...

with that ticket dispenser model, they shld include a fold out step that is attached n screwed under the front of the Pinball machine...then a video tutorial teaching the young kids what a pinball machine is, how to play, and what the aim is.lol (the fixed step is sarcastic ofcourse.lol)

also, lets aim at adults (18 yrs n older) cause adults have money to buy pins etc....not little children unless mum n dad slip them a quick $20 etc...unless the pinball machine is the only arcade item onsite, the kids will walk past if more often that not..this industry and its marketing makes no sense to me and is completely and utterly upside down...

one day in Australia, someone might do something modern.... *!@
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:15:31 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »
theres only one SLIGHT problem with all of this...the demographic for people who collect tickets to cash in at the counter to get prizes, are children usually aged 12 yrs and younger....(who are the most less likely to play a pinball machine that they cant even see the playfield properly...

with that ticket dispenser model, they shld include a fold out step that is attached n screwed under the front of the Pinball machine...then a video tutorial teaching the young kids what a pinball machine is, how to play, and what the aim is.lol

also, lets aim at adults (18 yrs n older) cause adults have money....not little children unless mum n dad slip them a quick $20 etc...unless the pinball machine is the only arcade item onsite, the kids will walk past if more often that not..this industry and its marketing makes no sense to me and is completely and utterly upside down...

one day in Australia, someone might do something modern.... *!@

i went to the arcade at bald hills last night, didnt see  a single kid playing any machine, most were young couples. and whilest you might not like the redemption then thats fine give the tickets to a kid.
i played a tonne of redemption machines last night. its a bit of a bonus to play pinball, this does make it more appealing for teens imo,

if redemption machines only targeted people with no money then arcades wouldn't be full of redemption machines, i doubt to many kids could have punched the punch bag that was 5 feet off the ground, or lifted the hammer to hit the strength tester. most of the redemption machines i played last night no little kid would have been ale to play due to hight.
but i should state i have a little foot step in my shop so a kid can watch or play the pinball. lol
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:24:41 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
Look upon it this way... arcades are more likely to site a pin with a redemption feature. My 1957 replica took good coin onsite with its ticket feature.
When i go into an arcade if on my own, ill win some tickets and give them to the nearest kid who dont look like a little toe-rag.
Kids will play it, the amount of kids at Pinfest was unreal.. all of them loved the pinnies.
Pinball will do much much better onsite with a ticket feature.. adults will play it and give the tickets away.
Its a winner for sure, just a wierd way to go about it