Author Topic: Ever Felt Like Selling Up and Finding A New Hobby  (Read 848 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Ever Felt Like Selling Up and Finding A New Hobby
« on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
I dare we have all felt like getting rid of the machines at some stage?

The wife isn't into them, the kids just take them for granted and don't know how cool they actually are because the machines have always been there for them.  There is plenty of other things I could do with the money that is sitting there. 

What do you guys do to renew your interest and enthusiasm for the silverball?
Addicted to pins.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Ever Felt Like Selling Up and Finding A New Hobby
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
Yes I know exactly where you are coming from. 

The machines themselves are fine, just some people & politics in the hobby which tend to leave a bad taste.

Whats the solution?  Hmm no idea on that.  I just lock the doors on the pool room and stay away for a bit then its all good again.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Focus on restoration.

Each machine provides a new set of trials and (possibly? %$%) tribulations.

The challenge is always there to build on and improve from your last machine resto.

EDIT: I can empathise with you though, the entire hobby is stagnating since the main market focus is so narrow in its target demographic.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:20:28 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
The machines themselves are fine, just some people & politics in the hobby which tend to leave a bad taste.

Politics, factions or whatever you want to call it is very disheartening.  Just seems as though the hobby can't ever get past it.

Addicted to pins.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
l  too have lost the "mojo" for pinball in the past.It comes and goes.But i always return.My advice is the same as marty's.just take a break,explore that other hobby you have been considering.Time will tell if you get your mojo back.
p.s. bad time to sell. <..>
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
The answer I think is diversity by having a few different hobbys other than pinball and by taking a few weeks or a month off pinball from time to time...

It also helps not to take things personally when it comes to other peoples personalities/opinions etc, because after all, its only an opinion and its not like we are saving the world, its just passionate discussion about a hobby you love. If someone upsets you down a phone line on a keyboard from 20 hours away from time to time, its a good reminder not to take life too seriously and to step back and to enjoy things like your family more.

The good taste u get from pinball is when u learn things from others and also try n share something that also might help someone else out.
Being on a forum is like being part of a team, its not always perfect, but working together for a common fun and educational goal helps.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Focus on restoration.

The challenge is always there to build on and improve from your last machine resto.

EDIT: I can empathise with you though, the entire hobby is stagnating since the main market focus is so narrow in its target demographic.

Absolutely. Just bury yourself in a restoration and picture the finished product. Nothing better.

Politics, factions or whatever you want to call it is very disheartening.  Just seems as though the hobby can't ever get past it.

There's a thin line between the Hobby and the Industry.

The Industry - Is a LOT better than it was in the glory days of operators and sited machines. There was criminal activity and all sorts of skullduggery. But when times were good, it was excellent. Nowadays the industry is all about the importers and dealers. There might still be an element of dishonesty and deception (especially towards newbies). The industry used to serve the operators, it now serves hobbyists. Huge difference.

The Hobby - Often ruined by industry types. I've seldom heard of one hobbyist causing another hobbyist to leave the hobby. I've seen countless newbies get ripped off by industry types, but they live and learn and usually stay within the hobby - but they learn the "lesson" the hard way. Hobbyists also can do VERY WELL with bargains and rare titles once ever so often. That's what makes the hobby great. Once a good dealer or importer is sourced, the experience for the hobbyist is what keeps them interested. The "hunt" is what it is all about.

The politics - usually only affects hobbyists. Personally, I think hobbyists get too immersed in the politics and take this aspect of the hobby and industry too seriously. It used to be a problem for me, but now I laugh at it.

I'm "too far gone" to ever remove myself from the hobby, industry or the politics. Pinball is like any other hobby - it has personalities across a wide range. You have to find the "happy place" where you can ENJOY yourself. A hobby is something you turn to in your spare time. It should not dominate your life. I know plenty of personalities that have allowed the politics form an agenda, and that has made them toxic to be around. Just shrug the shoulders and move on.

My father once described the Industry as follows (when I was in my early teens) ;

"The amusement industry has the worst people in it you could ever meet"
"The amusement industry has the best people in it you would ever meet"

Nothing much has changed when you substitute "The amusement industry" with "The Hobby"..

I've met some of the NICEST people in the past 10 years. I've seen people turn into self obsessed monsters. But you will find this in any other hobby.

There's no way I'll ever leave the industry (as I'm now part of it), or the hobby. There's nothing else I can think of that gives me this much satisfaction (Pinball Restoration). Literally in my blood, and I can't "function" without it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
well said nino.I say reflect on your journey that has got you to this point in time.Did you enjoy the time??If no then sell.I have enjoyed my time through the bad times and have 40 odd machines that i am proud of. ()
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
Pinball politics, ha ha
What is considered a brawl on this (and the other) site, is nothing compared to some hostilities that I have been witness (and victim of) on other sites (that are long gone)

As for importers, you must always remember that they are in business to make money. It is their task to get as much $$ for a well used second hand product as they can.

As hobbyists, we want perfection at a small price, some people need to be more realistic about what they want and how much it IS worth

Those who start up their own little pinball hobby business (parts, mods or importing machines) must remember that they have to operate professionally if they want people to pay for their services.

In the end, you cannot take this hobby seriously
Different people will get something different out of this hoby than others will
Some like EM games, some people insist on NIB sterns, some like to restore their games back to better than showroom condition, others are quite happy to simply play any game

It is pinball, it is meant to be fun

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
giving yourself a break from online stuff (ebay, forums etc) can also be a good time-out

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
Focus on restoration.

Agree 100%
I go off the pins every now and then but I find learning new things about them whether it's restorations or technical keeps me coming back.
All my friends are Pin heads now so I can't really get away from it.  %.%
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
I think the trick is to change your titles around as in don't keep the same titles for ever, over the last 2 years I've sold 5 or 6 games and bought other titles cause like everything they get stale after a while. I'm down to 2 pinballs and 2 arcades and that's enough and I've had some real favourites and have never missed any if them and its made pinball fun and interesting again, politics never lol

Peter

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

I think the trick is to change your titles around

Good advice, change is as good as a holiday for some.

There have been times when The Game has been low on the radar, and times when it is an obsession. I've been "into" a few hobbies over the years, and pinball certainly both benefits from things I learned in others, and provides a great release/distraction, perhaps more than the other hobbies, because you can put in as little or as much effort as you like. You can buy restored/cookie cutter games, and take pleasure from them, or spend time repainting a cabinet, swapping a playfield, or have someone do it and enjoy the new quality. It seems to have a lot of variations, enough for many different type of folk to find a niche that works for them.

When The Game isn't attracting me, I just don't go down to that area. Pick up the guitar, change the oil in a car, gosh, even spend some time in the garden with the Mrs. But, it always drags me back eventually, I cannot imagine not having at least a few games always.

With a few exceptions, I have met many. many top people via this hobby, more so than any others, where "competitiveness" seems to dominate. Through this forum and other contacts, I am constantly surprised by the ability of so many to give and share, both skills, time and even bits 'n pieces. Sure, there's crap amongst the dealers and the like all the time, but I have learned to keep away from them, they are good for the hobby in bringing newbies in, so they too have their place in the scheme of things.

In the end, you can walk up to a game, and loose yourself for a few minutes or half and hour in the magic little world under the glass - it is so special in many ways, it's here to stay for me.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Marty Machine

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Good luck trying to sell off your collection, the market is crapper than usual and still falling ;-(

There are MANY different types of collectors & enthusiasts, some deeper into it than others.
Some people couldn't go without it (which is sad), some wouldn't miss it, and others are somewhere in between.

It all comes down to what other distractions (hobbies) you have in life...
I don't think people need to obsess & worship having pinnies, but it's a nice luxury to have 1 or 2 about the house to play when the time is right.
I don't play mine every night, nor every week like many people do, but on occasion it's nice to be able to fire one up while killing some time in between other tasks, or simply having a few games when a mate comes over before heading out elsewhere etc...

If your heart's not into it much at all, then perhaps you weren't really 'into it' from the beginning?
I see this a *LOT* in collector circles, some people enjoy the small ride for a year or 2 then need to move on as the excitement dies off.

At the end of the day, you own the pinnies....never let them own you! (that applies to all facets of hobbies & collectables).

;-)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
Have only been in this hobby for going on 7 years and have not felt like getting out but I have burnt myself out by doing too many restos and/or overhauls in a few short years so been struggling for about last 9 months to get my 'resto mojo' back as I have a number of projects here I want to complete.

Always enjoying playing a few games though when the mood takes me.

I ignore any of the 'hobby politics'
I need more room ! and more $$$