Author Topic: Guns N Roses  (Read 571 times)

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
Guns N Roses
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
I know this title has its knockers and also people who like it.I would like some opinions on the GNR on ebay at the moment,i do not know how to put up the link but it is the machine that has had the playfield clearcoated.I am no expert on clearcoating but in the add he says it did not come up as shiny as expected,why is that and would it polish up ok ?.Does  the Guns and Roses logo in the middle of the playfield look ok,the letters seem to have a bit of a shadow look to them.Any idea on what this machine in this nick should sell for.I have waited to buy NIB  the last 3 releases from Stern but i passed on all of them and after playing and almost buying an ACDC LE i would prefer the GNR,thats is just my preference as ACDC is a nice machine also.Thanks Tony.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Guns N Roses
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
Without commenting specifically on the machine or the seller, it could be many reasons as to why a clear coat has gone 'cloudy'.

Firstly I would check whether it was a 2k (2pac) clear or a one pac clear.

If its 2k, it may be due to incorrect mixture of hardner / clear / thinners.  Incompatible products, moisture in the airlines / gun or many many other possibilities.

If it has been rubbed back (say to 3000 grit) and not polished correctly it may be a reason for cloudyness.

Realistically to repair, the playfield would need to be fully stripped and sent off to an expert like El Timbo for inspection.  He would be able to tell you if the problem clear can be rubbed back and redone, or if it just needs to be polished correctly with a kit.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Youd need to inspect the CC to determine whether its moisture etc that has caused the lack of finish... old CC that has been lying around and then used also goes like this.
The GUNS N ROSES letters are inserts... these and the surrounding red get a bit of wear due to the kick outs above. Someone has attempted to restore around the letters with a base yellow colour. This area of GNR is quite tricky as the yellow has a red fade through from top and from bottom... its very hard to replicate well ( but is possible... air brush skills!)... this red fade through is missing on the " restored" areas.. thats why the letters look the way they do

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
Very difficult if not impossible to find a GnR machine that doesn't have some sort of wear in that yellow section around the inserts.  If you did find one, it would be a pretty expensive machine I'd imagine.

I can't comment on the clear coat, the info already provided would be very accurate knowing those two guys.

Something I can comment on though is the quality of gameplay and over calibre of a GnR machine.  For me it is the best DE machine I have ever played.  Plenty to do, heaps of modes to work through, multiball is awesome but you must have all three magnets working 100% to get the full effect.  Cool ramp shots, drop targets, captive ball, nice flowing loop shots and then there is the soundtrack.  If you don't like the music it is still a good soundtrack for a pinball machine but if you like GnR's music then this machine takes it up to the next level of coolness.  I would recommend upgrading the speakers though, huge difference.  Even just putting a sub in the cabinet would make a big difference.

There is a reason that GnR is the only DE machine still to command big bucks when one comes up for sale.  It is a great all round pinball machine and a machine that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone thinking about buying one.

What is the one worth on eBay......as much as you are willing to pay for it.  I wouldn't like to see it go over $4.5 - 5k but who knows, it may go for less!

Oh, as you can see by my avatar, I had had a few in my time.   *)*

Addicted to pins.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Here's the link punter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GUNS-N-ROSES-PINBALL-MACHINE-BY-DATA-EAST-1992-/110990569860?pt=AU_MusicMemorabilia&hash=item19d78db184

Gunners is the best DE pinball in my opinion, haven't seen many up for sale since the release of AC DC this year  !@#

You can get a center overlay decal from the states see this link.. $49.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATA-EAST-Guns-N-And-Roses-Pinball-Machine-CENTER-Playfield-OVERLAY-/230828750132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be773534

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone and for putting up the link.This was one of those rare times that as soon as i told the wife there was a GNR on ebay she just said buy it  %.%.Usually i would have had to bring her around on buying another pin and i said to her i would only go to 4.5k on it,BUT those couple of issues i mentioned are enough to put me off it.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone and for putting up the link.This was one of those rare times that as soon as i told the wife there was a GNR on ebay she just said buy it  %.%.Usually i would have had to bring her around on buying another pin and i said to her i would only go to 4.5k on it,BUT those couple of issues i mentioned are enough to put me off it.

Mate.. dont be put off too easily... its always a trade off with condition against price.

it MIGHT be possible to pick this up relatively cheaply for a GNR in which case a PF restore could be affordable.
The item description is a bit suss.. its says.." no playfield wear"... strictly speaking this isnt true as it does have wear but its underneath the poor touch ups.
It is a great game and if you could get this for around $2800 id say you snapped a bargain, touch ups or no touch ups.
Personally, i wouldnt be pointing anything like $4500 at this machine though

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:37 AM »
Information gathered from a person who is in the loop with the seller has told me that the playfield looks even worse in person. In the sellers homeland in Europe, is workers apparently clear coated it in really low temperatures which prolonged the curing time and clouded the entire Playfield giving it its matte appearance. Of course the seller has tried to buff it up but to no avail. His workers even tried high speed machine buffing but still no good. Would need to be stripped back and done again. Either that or live with it. Apparently the play is affected as it is not smooth.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
Information gathered from a person who is in the loop with the seller has told me that the playfield looks even worse in person. In the sellers homeland in Europe, is workers apparently clear coated it in really low temperatures which prolonged the curing time and clouded the entire Playfield giving it its matte appearance. Of course the seller has tried to buff it up but to no avail. His workers even tried high speed machine buffing but still no good. Would need to be stripped back and done again. Either that or live with it. Apparently the play is affected as it is not smooth.

Uhh, not good unfortunately.  The Axl hole has been repaired and painted with a wood colour by the looks of it.  A Cliffy protector would cover it up nicely.
Addicted to pins.

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Once again thanks for the replies,the info and help people give on this forum is great.Agree with you Retropin i would have only bid the amount i mentioned if it was without the issues mentioned and even then it may not have been enough as this title can still pull some decent money if you have a couple of bidders who really want it.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »

Hmm.. The auction desc-ription specifies "You can leave it as is or needs to be well polished for the mirror finish.".

They they tried to buff it and it didn't work, so the new owner won't be able to improve the shine to this playfield. It is also missing the plastic above the LHS drop target bank. Starting the auction at 99 cents was the right thing to do, but the desc-ription needed to specify that the playfield has to be left "as is", or stripped again for a professional clear. The missing plastic should be noted.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
But you can buy the complete set of plastics from CPR

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
Wholly crap this just sold for $4,550!!!!

What's one with a mint pf likely to fetch?
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
Thats a lot of dollar for a machine that requires a new playfield or a professional restoration

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
Wholly crap this just sold for $4,550!!!!

What's one with a mint pf likely to fetch?

The same money...someone overpaid on that ebay machine i reckon by maybe a grand ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !