Author Topic: Im on a mission - Can you help me?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Im on a mission - Can you help me?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
 :lol Gav the women bit i kinda have sorted. My wife of 8 years is pretty good with the cash... a little too good and therefore she is financial minister of my household. However, she hasnt been bitten as hard as i have with the "Pin fever" so any surplus funds kind of go into more "responsible" avenues... Thats why i need something a little more ... devious? or something not noticeable (quitting the fags will help and not buying lunch etc) where i can stash funds i would usually piss away on these things and put it aside for what matters .. the pins.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Some excellent suggestions there and no matter how simple some of them are, i am guilty of nearly all of them... Make my own lunch.. of course i should, im pissing away money on lunch (and sometimes breakfast) which must cost me $40 a week. Water instead of soft drink ... damn i drink litres of coke zero every week. Sometime it just needs someone (you guys) to state the obvious. Brilliant!!!

As to quitting smoking... i have tried many a time with the cold turkey and i've got to admit it hasnt worked for me. I work in IT and i find that i "need" to walk away from my pc every now and then and a smoke lets me do that... Weak i know but i really think i need help in a drug form.

Rob,

Went through all this years ago- the secret is you need to find something to take the place of having a smoke.

The actual urge for smoking doesn't last long, so you need something to take that away.

I found chewing gum worked and if I felt like a smoke I went and ran up some flights of stairs.

Also after a week or so you will feel like a million dollars and will wonder why the hell you smoked in the first place.

You have kids right? Mate there is enough reason to give the f**king things up

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »
How about putting coin mechs in your existing pins?  Everytime you play, $2.00.  But it will help towards your new machines!

I've been bring my lunches to work, not drinking piss etc....You can save upwards of $200.00 per month by that alone.  I've never smoked so I cannot offer any advice on that, but certainly the money alone will buy you a pin in no time....

If I'm saving for a pinny, for me I setup a secondary (or third) account (similar to a xmas account).  Automatically DD $50.00 per week out.  If its not there, I don't see it, I don't miss it and wont spend it.

Don't forget about the layby services commercial guys offer.  If you've found your next dream pin, making auto payments each month will bring it closer and closer.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
Ok - youve done better than me with the woman thing then.
But heres what i did when i was married and funds were tight.
I put ads in the paper for non working pins - snap em up cheap, fix em up and sell them on. All proceeds go to the next purchase. But i was lucky and scored a JD cheap and so paid off the credit card debt with that one and after that - anything that was earnt from them was put straight back into the hobby - became a self funding hobby

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
I put ads in the paper for non working pins - snap em up cheap, fix em up and sell them on. All proceeds go to the next purchase. But i was lucky and scored a JD cheap and so paid off the credit card debt with that one and after that - anything that was earnt from them was put straight back into the hobby - became a self funding hobby

Exactly what I'm doing, Gavin.

Great minds think alike  %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »

Exactly what I'm doing, Gavin.

Great minds think alike  %.%

yeh mate - it took one lucky phone call - a JD for $400 - non working display. It was the power board - replace the zener and the associated components and that was then 100% - motor didnt work, but i gave that to a clock maker ( my dad) and he rebuilt that and the whole machine was solid. Sold it privately for $2400 and cleared the credit card debt. After that my family was pretty much debt free bar the mortagage. From that moment on my wife understood that pins were worth having around and so i could indulge myself from there. Apart from last year when i bought  a lot of pins - my whole hobby has been self funded for nearly 10 years now with cash to buy more projects at hand.

If you can make it pay and your family can see the benefits then youll have no problem.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »

This sounds like an interesting strategy, provided the restoration skills are good enough.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 10:16:25 AM »
Exactly What i'm doing as  well gav even though it hurts to let em go as there not always easy to get hold of. But now ive had a heap the way i tell if its a seller is if its bellow an 8 or not a collectable machine out it goes (or really old)

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Interesting bit of synchronicity. I have been cutting back on the smokes for a couple weeks or so in preparation for quitting. They say that doesn't help, but I don't see why not. For me it was a matter of wanting to reduce the physical withdrawal (insomnia, headaches, etc.) in preparation for "cold turkey".

I am only on my second day of zero smoking. I was up to about 30 per day and really feeling it. The past couple days I've had brief feelings of wanting a smoke, but it passes pretty quick. For me, anger is a motivator. It really pisses me off that I ever got into smoking in the first place, and I'm pissed at myself that I am weak-minded enough to get addicted.

Get on Google man! Learn yourself up about different things people do to quit and stay off 'em. Don't go into this half-baked and just start back up again. There's lots of good info on the net and it's easy to find. If it takes drugs, gum, patches, heroin - whatever - or none of the above, do it! It's possibly the best thing you can do for yourself. I got a prescription for some kind of drug, but one thing I know about all these late-model designer drugs is that they seldom work as well as they claim, and the side effects are more detrimental than they claim. If you need them to quit, then take them and don't look back - they are still better then smoking.

Rather than filling the prescription I got, I'm trying various behavioral psychology run-of-the-mill stuff and it seems to be going OK. Throw or give away every bit of your cigarette stuff. Even heirloom Zippo lighters (give them to a different family member or something). Dispose of all ashtrays, lighters, definitely any cigarettes from the house entirely. Clean your car ashtrays and fill them with mints or the like. Clean your house or preferably paint at least a couple main rooms and enjoy the clean air smell. Maybe shampoo the rugs & upholstery in the house and possibly the cars too. One thing I can already notice is that cigarette smoke from others no longer hits me in a pleasant way. To me it already smells a bit stale and "chokey" which is a big help for me. Many folks never go through this and still enjoy the smell even a few years after quitting though, so don't count on this until you find out for yourself.

I haven't got into a routine yet, but exercise universally helps not only with cessation of smoking, but with physical and mental health in general. I notice an improvement in myself even immediately after I find myself exerting myself via shoveling snow or dirt, taking many trips up & down the stairway to move a bunch of boxes of stuff, etc.

Quit smoking, get exercise, hell all that's left is eating right and you're gold!

As for saving money, all I can advise is to quit spending it impulsively. You might be surprised once you look at things head-on and honestly what things are necessary and what are impulses. If you sleep in a dry bed, only eat simple, healthy food, and own basic, reliable transportation, then honestly you're pretty well set. Anything beyond this is honestly not necessary and you've just rationalized it for yourself and your family. Nothing wrong with owning more than you need and living a richer lifestyle containing more than the bare essentials, but an awareness of what you're doing is healthy while floating through unaware is not only unhealthy (without exception) but also targets yourself and your family to be pulled to and fro by outside forces, i.e. marketing and political, etc. It's tons easier said than done, but if you went one year without making one impulse buy, I'm guessing any one of us would likely have a few thousand $$$ in the bank. I'm not kidding. Most everybody I know (and the younger they are the worse they are) spend way more than the deserved attention on yearning for the next purchase, then rationalizing their way into feeling OK about buying it. Truth be told, the same thing can be said about pinnies (blasphemy! !^!) but in the search for truth, all weaknesses must be revealed. If it came down to it and you needed to pass on that holy grail pin purchase so you could remain secure in your basic finances, then so be it. You should be proud of knowing that your priorities are properly aligned and feel zero regret. Besides, these things always seem to come back around again (which is one mantra to keep in mind regarding ALL impulse buying).

Note that this is all advice derived in retrospect of my own personal experience, so by definition I am not an image of the actions I've illustrated above. I am steadily working toward it though, and even making progress - kind of like eroding a mountain with a feather, but still...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:28:41 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.