Author Topic: Collecting pins  (Read 583 times)

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Collecting pins
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »
Hey guys just wondering what you guys go for when adding to your collection? Do you go for an era, favourites or what evers cheap at the time? I've got a couple of ss pins that I want to add but I'm not real sure after that

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Collecting pins
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
usually most people start by >

1. a pinball u remember from your younger years (if applicable)
2. something u have seen or played at a friends/family members house you like
3. something u see on the internet pinball data base

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

4. something someone reccommends to you.

What sort of theme do u like ?  sports, scary, cartoon, action, .....there is a pinball to suit every theme.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
I just buy what ever Caveoftreasures tells me to buy

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
I want a funhouse when funds permit. I like "skill" pins rather than the "luck" style if you know what I mean

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
Seriously though, I do not have 'one' game that I am looking for
I have a list of games that I would like to have at some point
Some are modern games, some are from when I was a teenager, but most seem to be games with a reputation for being fun

I find that people who have a 'must have' list of one or two games, tend to end up paying too much.
(which when they try to sell, they in turn, expect someone else to pay too much)

So if a game that is on my list comes up, and it is local, and the price is reasonable, then I will take notice, look at pictures, and ask questions

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
I love the pins others hate  &&
That way you get a good, cheap, fun pinball.
My favourite is still Giiligan's Island and Dr Dude. Both relatively cheap and FUN FUN FUN  $#$
I guess what I am trying to say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
As pinballs are a pretty big piece of furniture, might suggest a theme that you enjoy as this always adds to playability.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
+1 to Gilligans. Excellent fun machine.

and I agree with OS69 4 sure, if someone tells u a machine is no good, dont listen, play it for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:34:33 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »
I do think a lot of it comes down to taste but I also think if it's cheap enough grab it anyway

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »
I have, in the past bought ANY pin i've stumbled across no matter what it was. Lately though I have been a LOT more selective and only bought games i played a lot back in the day and enjoyed.

My collection is about to be downsized yet again due to changing circumstances, first ones to go are games bought based on only having played them once and i got them just because they were there to be had at the time....

Black Pyramid
Flash, and
Universe (Zaccaria) are all set to be sold off asap.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
I have, in the past bought ANY pin i've stumbled across no matter what it was. Lately though I have been a LOT more selective and only bought games i played a lot back in the day and enjoyed.

My collection is about to be downsized yet again due to changing circumstances, first ones to go are games bought based on only having played them once and i got them just because they were there to be had at the time....

Black Pyramid
Flash, and
Universe (Zaccaria) are all set to be sold off asap.
for me part of wanting more pins is the thrill of taking a dirty tired looking pin and making it shine and play nice even if I don't play it that much

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »

Good man Pete.lol  %.% %.%
I expect you to buy at least one Stern during 2013. Have to keep Stern alive so that they are still going strong when our kids grow up.
IF u dont buy a Stern, photos of naked women hanging around your pinballs will suffice.  *%*

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 02:21:48 AM »

Good man Pete.lol  %.% %.%
I expect you to buy at least one Stern during 2013. Have to keep Stern alive so that they are still going strong when our kids grow up.
IF u dont buy a Stern, photos of naked women hanging around your pinballs will suffice.  *%*
Let us hope that Star Trek is good then because Metallica is a lame thrme

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »

I am attracted to two eras, both when I was actively playing. First, when I was a kid, late 70's early 80's, and secondly, when I rediscovered pinball in the late 90's with an AFM that turned up in the local cinema. In both cases, it's Science Fiction themed games that I go for, and my collection is mostly around those era's and that theme.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline dendoc

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
In my case, the first pin I got because it was cheap - Lethal Weapon 3 that someone won in a contest. Also had good memories, but tired of it quickly because it was a little simple for home use. Traded up to a TZ because it was listed as No 1 on IPDB - still love it and still trying to find everything it has to offer. Then started getting games I liked with good reviews - Simpsons Party, STNG. I'm a succer for a good youtube review. Getting AC/DC to placate Caveman, but the Premium version - NIB. I'll will post pics as requested for those who havent had NIB pleasure - like me. I'm not so convinced themes can match up to good game play and rule sets, at least music based gives you something to make you smile while you play (any Pink Floyd machines out there?)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
Excellent news re AC/DC Premium.  ^^^

Some themes like cartoons, example Bugs Bunny, Rocky n Bullwinkle or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, are fun games, not too deep, but still plenty of fun. The artwork n dot matrix displays, the audio and sound bytes on all these games makes them fun. If u relied upon gameplay only, you might pass, but with all the ingredients mixed, they add up to alot of "theme" fun.

A Pink Floyd music pinball would be very cool - Dark side of the Moon was a unreal album when I was a teenager.
Sometimes u come accross a pinball whilst u are looking for another title, you play it, u like it, u take it home...U went out for one thing and came back with something totally different. I think everyone who has collected pinnys could relate to that.lol  %.%   ^^^ ^^^