Author Topic: Pinball Moral Dilema  (Read 702 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Pinball Moral Dilema
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
sell the pins for profit and take your mates wife out for dinner.....if you're gonna screw him over, you might as well do it properly  :lol :lol :lol

@@* #*# ^^^ %.%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Discodan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
I'd say give him half of the profit and you're both ahead. you have a clear mind and he knows he can trust you

Marty Machine

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
ooops, my mistake, it's a trick question, there is no profit when selling pins  :lol :lol :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »

Interesting stuff - there's no right moral answer (and I was neither party to this situation).

Of course, the legal answer is about as black and white as they come - the games were sold even if they were "mate's rates".

What prompted the sale was the expectation that comes along with the "I really want those games" - so the seller passes on his bargain pick-ups to someone that he believes genuinely wants to keep them.

I know I would not feel good about telling another collector that they were games I really wanted, then flipping them for a profit, without at least mentioning it to the original buyer and seeing his reaction.

I guess the amount of time plays a big part - five years down the track, its a whole different market as someone mentioned. But if it was a year or less, the question of what is "right" looms I feel.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
Also, if he is a fellow collector he knows prices rise and fall

Who bought the Asteroid Annie?

I sold my Asteroid Annie on eBay. Went to a member here
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
Also, if he is a fellow collector he knows prices rise and fall

Who bought the Asteroid Annie?

I sold my Asteroid Annie on eBay. Went to a member here
Nic had posted that he was thinking of selling a few games, this thread was about selling a rare game
Nic has some cool stuff, I was just trying to guess what he might have sold :)

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
What goes around comes around may one day you'll get hold of a couple pins your mate wants and you'll look after him. That's how it works isn't it?

Good answer!
I wish more of us thought that way. ^^^
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
Mate did the right thing letting them go in the first place.  Reads like he only let them go when asked. Split the profit at least.  It isnt buisness when your mates look after you in the first place.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »

Reads like he only let them go when asked.

Exactly.

It isnt buisness when your mates look after you in the first place.

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!! (IMO anyway).

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
Mate did the right thing letting them go in the first place.  Reads like he only let them go when asked. Split the profit at least.  It isnt buisness when your mates look after you in the first place.

totally agree, well said

a little different but a while ago I bought a fresh stencilled paragon cabinet off ebay (impulse buy) from a local (owner of pinball n pizza which didn't exist at that stage) for under $200, won it fair and square as picked it up for a project. Once I got it thought it was too good to transform it to something else and suggested it was up for grabs here on AP. ddstoys ended up grabbing it for what I paid no profit just a feel good feeling to help out a AP member and I couldn't be accused of flipping for a profit.

I am sure your mate would be stoked if you showed your honesty and he might just say keep the $ and be thankful for being honest and you will feel good for offering.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:42:14 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
There are very few machines that a collector doesnt move on after a while... its what happens. Some titles are CORE titles that never get moved on but these are only a few compared to the titles that go through your hands.

A mate looks after you with the pricing on some pins, that fair enough, but if several years down the track you move them on for more than you pay im not sure what it has to do  with the mate anymore. If there is some moral obligation to split profits with the original owner each time you make a few bucks on a pinny sale then i guess i dont have many morals.
And yes.. selling pins is a business as it covers the costs of the next purchase. I recently sold 3 games to fund one game.. each sold at a slightly higher price than bought for... i dont owe anyone anything and seller of new game obviously did alright or he wouldnt have sold it either.

Buy your mate a few beers etc, but if you buy at $1000 and manage ti sell at $3000 a few years later.. then bloody good on you.

I once bought a house from a mate... several years down the track it sold for less than i paid for it.. did my mate stump up some money for me?? Like hell he did.. is he still a mate?? Of course!

Marty Machine

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
I can't wait for many guys on here to resell the pins they got from me, i'm gonna make a killing without lifting a finger :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
I can't wait for many guys on here to resell the pins they got from me, i'm gonna make a killing without lifting a finger :lol :lol :lol :lol

LOL....

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
Gav, agree with your comments entirely-if the buyer (who you need to bear in mind asked for the games as 'ones he'd been chasing') held them a few years, then turned them over as we do, then that's pretty normal stuff. I do think if the flip is quick, the fact they were asked for as a favour of a mate opens the moral question.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
There are very few machines that a collector doesnt move on after a while... its what happens. Some titles are CORE titles that never get moved on but these are only a few compared to the titles that go through your hands.

A mate looks after you with the pricing on some pins, that fair enough, but if several years down the track you move them on for more than you pay im not sure what it has to do  with the mate anymore. If there is some moral obligation to split profits with the original owner each time you make a few bucks on a pinny sale then i guess i dont have many morals.
And yes.. selling pins is a business as it covers the costs of the next purchase. I recently sold 3 games to fund one game.. each sold at a slightly higher price than bought for... i dont owe anyone anything and seller of new game obviously did alright or he wouldnt have sold it either.

Buy your mate a few beers etc, but if you buy at $1000 and manage ti sell at $3000 a few years later.. then bloody good on you.

I once bought a house from a mate... several years down the track it sold for less than i paid for it.. did my mate stump up some money for me?? Like hell he did.. is he still a mate?? Of course!

great point and agree with you

Gav, agree with your comments entirely-if the buyer (who you need to bear in mind asked for the games as 'ones he'd been chasing') held them a few years, then turned them over as we do, then that's pretty normal stuff. I do think if the flip is quick, the fact they were asked for as a favour of a mate opens the moral question.

another good point and hence the thread title - moral dilemma - good luck with it Nick
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts