Author Topic: Star Trek - Stern 2013  (Read 13607 times)

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Star Trek - Stern 2013
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
Quote from: Strangeways on January 12, 2013, 11:29:09 AM
I used to be very critical of ST TNG. it still is the only game I've ever walked away mid game. The reason is that most games are not reconditioned correctly. I call this title "the corners cut" game because this title is the most involved BW game to recondition. From an engineering point of view, this game was ahead of its time. There's so much going on, and everything has to work 100% with the deep rule set. Recently, I spent some serious hours reconditioning a ST TNG, and once the game was 100%, I could appreciate the deep rule set and enjoy the game.

I also recently restored one for a friend and put many games on it before he picked it up, it is a very good layout, nice and fast, and the rules are fairly deep even for some one who had to google what a clingon was

1. clingon

fecal particles which cling to bottox hair after excretion

"These clingons sure make my pants lumpy"

Still unsure   !@#

:lol
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »

1. clingon

Still unsure  !@#

What do the starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?

They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »

1. clingon

Still unsure  !@#

What do the starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?

They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

%.% %.% %.% %.% @@* @@*

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
UPDATE

Looks as if STERN have the licence to produce a Star Trek pinball?,

see link...

http://www.startrek.com/licensees

Look under Toys/Games category...

See PP has the licence to make repro parts

Big news for trekkys &&
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
Clingon sums up my thoughts on star trek perfectly

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks Leon(V8racefan) for the licence link. Yes, Stern definately have a licence now.

Good news for trekky fans and pinball fans alike.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:23:16 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
With Steve Richie designing this with maybe a LCD and new board design this title will be massive I just hope if it is LCD it's not as big as WOZ I hate that maybe Frankenstein size would be perfect. Exciting 2013 for stern and its customers,

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
With Steve Richie designing this with maybe a LCD and new board design this title will be massive I just hope if it is LCD it's not as big as WOZ I hate that maybe Frankenstein size would be perfect. Exciting 2013 for stern and its customers,

Peter

That's my biggest fear with Stern's step up to LCD. There's no reason to copy JPP's design. I'd be quite happy with LCD quality in the same size format as the current DMDs. Playing pinball requires the eyes on the playfield, not the backbox (unless you are playing Banzai Run).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
Cant see that happening unless Stern have no idea of the criticisms made by the JJP model. Im assuming they will be keeping a close eye on JJP and taking note of whats good and what could be refined somewhat etc.. and of course visa versa.. JJP watching Stern.
LCD will give much much better graphics in full glorious technicolour and will be the way forward... the excitement colour DMD has created confirms this.
Personally, id like to see it placed above the playfield same as CV... its the perfect place to be able to keep your eye on the ball and still see the screens interaction. In this position, it would add to game play in a huge way.
Star Trek.. Steve Ritchie... LCD on PF

IMO that would be a great combination and could well be Sterns biggest seller by far.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
I agree with you Niño. It's almost going to a full size LCD with motion etc and did not work with Pacman or Granny & the Gators.

I think keep it regular DMD size but colour - ie same as the ColourDmd aftermarket ones or implement a feature like the creature window but with LCD

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »

That's my biggest fear with Stern's step up to LCD. There's no reason to copy JPP's design. I'd be quite happy with LCD quality in the same size format as the current DMDs. Playing pinball requires the eyes on the playfield, not the backbox (unless you are playing Banzai Run).

+1

Also, if they treat the LCD as a gimmick sufficient to get sales, concentrate on that too much and forget to come up with decent playfield layout/gameplay. But with The King on it, I am more confident that he won't let that happen.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline dendoc

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
and how much better will STNG look with colordmd! got to try and master the Pickard manouvre on mine.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
I saw a post on pinside by Aussie RGR in which he said he had a conversation with Gary about lcd's and Gary stated that he was not going to do lcd's now for 2-3 years.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
I saw a post on pinside by Aussie RGR in which he said he had a conversation with Gary about lcd's and Gary stated that he was not going to do lcd's now for 2-3 years.

Let's hope he's wrong

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
The talk Gary gave said he was concentrating on getting alot of other things right first before they looked at moving to a LCD and he also said he wanted more feedback from his customers first because of the backlash alot of people had given about the other LCD screen being used by someone else (JJP).........he said too big was a waste and operators n customers so far wanted better toys n playfields before LCD's.....he also mentioned that pinball is about the playfield more n more.....

The talk is on youtube posted only a few weeks ago from a show he did in Italy if u can find it amongst the many.....

*Personally, a LCD wont make or break a Stern purchase for me...the games this last 12 months are excellent and geting better n better all the time,
I am very happy with the red LED display n the dot matrix annimations the guys are doing...all looking very much more detailed every game... ^^^

I am dying to see the new Star Trek pinny.....the movie is looking action packed....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !