Author Topic: House Fuse Trips When Machine Plugged In ??  (Read 211 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
House Fuse Trips When Machine Plugged In ??
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
Went to have a game after lunch today and the power in the games room was out. Upon inspection of the fuse box the games room circuit switch was tripped. I reset it but it tripped straight out again. I went inside and unplugged every power point then went back outside to the fuse box and this time it reset no problem. I then plugged things back in one at a time till I got to T2 (which I have for sale at the moment   ^&^) and the fuse tripped again. I did a couple of experiments plugging and unplugging various game/appliances and everything works fine until the T2 is plugged in then the switch is tripped straight away so I think it's fair to say the problem is with the T2.
I also noticed that the fuse in the metal box above the on/off switch on T2 was blown (which has happened once before). I changed the fuse and plugged it back in but once again it just tripped the circuit breaker in the board and also blew the fuse in the box again.
Any ideas anyone???
Thanks...Tim

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: House Fuse Trips When Machine Plugged In ??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
 Hey mate sounds like the (gone completely blank) the noise filter I think it's called has gone short that or the varistors has dies

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »

Could be a number of things.

1 - EMI Filter has a short.
2 - A wire (active or neutral) is grounding - this could be within the power box that houses the EMI filter / varistor. If the varistor has blown, then it is possible there is a short and this is a dangerous problem.
3 - Transformer has crapped itself. I have only seen one transformer crap itself in the last 20 years.

I would have this game looked at, as it will keep blowing fuses. I have seen many games "over-fused" recently, which is an alarming problem. I'm glad your safety switch is working !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys I have withdrawn it for sale for the time being until I am able to get a service person to repair it.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
I have worked on a t2 , that had a faulty on/off switch, was shorting, blowing line fuse, and causing the filter to fail, over current, as line fuse is a slow blow 4amp from memory..