Author Topic: Why?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Why?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
Maybe he did history at school? I know i did and learnt all about castles, middle ages, crusades, armour etc

and that would still be from a book, a projector movie etc....

Or maybe.... wait for it.....

A MUSEUM!!!!!!

Your talking nonsense Brett.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
no mate, your talking nonsense....as soon as your argument is shown to be flawed, you change your answer.

movies n tv n books werent good enough, so u moved to a school, now that schools are shown to have projector movies or books u move to a museum....yor talking nonsense Gavin. your words.  

move on, stop wasting my time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:03:53 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
So anything medieval is movie based because theyve made movies about the middle ages? Get real.
TAF and TZ were unique games.. i remember them coming out and they were as unique as it came and played like nothing else.. couple that with a good theme and its a winner for sure.
High Speed had over 17000 sales... fishtales over 13000.
High Speed outsold pretty much everything else bar TAF... but then again, i suppose movies have been made about fast car chases also?

YES, that is totally correct and my answer was very real. If they didnt get the ideas about medi-evil castles and all that stuff from the movies, where did they get the ideas from.....if someone said what does a castle look like, are u going to describe something u saw in a movie, or only remember it only from a book...I think Not,........lets say its books, which might be 10 percent of the imagery, the ideas are all based on stuff that has been done many times over...and your last point about High Speed pinball etc being based on various/many car chase movies/stories is also correct.

They may not be licenced pinball themes, but they certainly are all copied/based on previously released movies n TV shows.

Thats very real. !

*also, TAF n TZ might be unique, means nothing, still TV shows, licenced and created from TV, like 99 percent of pinball machines, licenced or not....
Hmmmm interesting spin on Themes. I'm sure if we look really closely we can see a movie in all of us (I actually believe I'm Superman as I can't resist wearing my underpants over my pants). I think you're struggling to justify your argument here I'm sorry.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »
no mate, your talking nonsense....as soon as your argument is shown to be flawed, you change your answer.

movies n tv n books werent good enough, so u moved to a school, now that schools are shown to have projector movies or books u move to a museum....yor talking nonsense Gavin. your words.  move on, stop wasting my time.

Fair enough Brett.. have it your way mate. Medieval Madness can be counted as a movie based pinball ( as the guy no doubt watched a film at some point.. possibly Robin Hood).. there ive said it.
Luckily i didnt say it first and so i am only the 2nd person to say the most stupid thing on this forum since it started.

%.% %.% %.%.. your cracking me up mate!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
So basically there can be no true unlicenced themed game as everything has been coved in movies or books ?

I am trying to work out what my fish tales was based on, so many movies with fishing in them

I cant remember too many films with whitewater rafting in them either??

Funhouse?
Roadshow?
Whirlwind?
Junkyard?

Plenty more...

Total rubbish
Matt did "deliverance" have rafting or was that a whole heap of back shafting  @@*
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
First moving image (the running horse) - 1878

First book printed (Gutenberg Bible) - ca. 1450

First known castle to be built - The earliest KNOWN castle is in the Loire Valley in northern France at Doue-la-Fontaine dated 950 AD.

Castle trumps book and moving image.

Checkmate.  *)*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »

movies n tv n books werent good enough, so u moved to a school, now that schools are shown to have projector movies or books u move to a museum....yor talking nonsense Gavin. your words.  move on, stop wasting my time.

Fair enough Brett.. have it your way mate. Medieval Madness can be counted as a movie based pinball ( as the guy no doubt watched a film at some point.. possibly Robin Hood).. there ive said it.
Luckily i didnt say it first and so i am only the 2nd person to say the most stupid thing on this forum since it started.

%.% %.% %.%.. your cracking me up mate!

Like i previously said, stop wasting my time with your nonsense. I am not interested.  

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
First moving image (the running horse) - 1878

First book printed (Gutenberg Bible) - ca. 1450

First known castle to be built - The earliest KNOWN castle is in the Loire Valley in northern France at Doue-la-Fontaine dated 950 AD.

Castle trumps book and moving image.

Checkmate.  *)*

checkmate not......the thread just got stupid from a few who decided to be silly rather than talking about the original thread topic.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »
Around the 3rd post of 2nd page perhaps?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Snnnrrrrrrrr.  Move on mate. Your not 16 anymore.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
Totally agreed Marty.
Hopefully some people can focus on the serious thread rather than trying to belittle other people posts with demeaning comments which arent aimed at decent debate, but aimed at the member. As Nino says, people shld play the topic, not the man.

How many times do people need to try n beliitle other peoples comments before u get sick of it. From the get-go, I was questioned repeatedly on this topic like its the spanish inquisition. Ridiculous.

I am above this, hopefully others can move on without more of the same which is not what the thread is about.
Gav, dont address me anymore. Thats my request. Respect it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:51:10 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »
Ok.. nonsense beside.

The figures i got from IPDB and whats listed as licenced etc or obviously TV themed like Bugs Bunny etc show that a licenced theme overall will outsell a non licenced by around 10% going on number of titles in total and overall sales.
Obviously, TAF which outsold everything and TZ carried this percentage with over 20,000 and 15000 sales respectively.
But it should be noted that games like Fish Tales sold over 13000.....Getaway, again over 13000...even World Cup Soccer saw over 8700 sales... a theme that you wouldnt expect to do particularly well and yet it outsold many licenecd titles including CFTBL.
Looking at numbers alone you can see why a manufacturer would favour a licenced theme.. any accountant would push you in that direction looking at a table of figures, but its not the full story.
TAF is a great game to play as was TZ when it came out... magnets, powerball etc.... these 2 games had a whole heap of features that you just didnt see in one package... they blew everything else away at the time.
2 titles that did extremely well.. we have great games with cool themes.. its a sure fire winner.

Then we have licenced games that just bombed...Barbwire 1000... Freddy 2800 ( good theme though?) Phantom Of The Opera 2750... low sales for what youd expect of some good themes especially Freddy and Phantom.

So maybe a theme will carry a title better, but its still down to game play... couple that with the fact that we have ONLY seen licenced games for 15+ years and its a formula that has maybe run its course?
SEGA did nothing but licenced themes.. piss poor sales though generally with what numbers we have.
Licenced themes really took off in the 90's but some games sold extremely well before then in the mid to late 80's.. and this was during an industry slump due to arcade machines.

Maybe the themed machine was a novelty at the time that took pinball a step sideways... seems that we need another step sideways as the constant churn out is getting stale?

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

I cant remember too many films with whitewater rafting in them either??

UP THE CREEK!! - Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Reading that post made me remember a movie i loved from when i was younger.

1984, Champagne comedy at its finest. I looked it up the whole movie is on youtube.... :lol

Probably showing my age a little here........ #@#

Sorry.......carry on..... %$%

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 02:39:03 AM »

Champagne comedy at its finest.

yep this thread cracks me up too  <.>