Author Topic: Bumpers - any use?  (Read 899 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Bumpers - any use?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »
TAF - 5

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
WhirlWind has 6
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
Monopoly has 6

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Xenon has 4 and Capcoms Pinball Magic only has 1 but the way it's been designed, the single pop bumper in the middle of 4 rebound rubber surfaces, the lowest has a sling shot to fire the ball back at the pop bumper so it kind of simulates the effect of having 4 or 5 pop bumpers. It's very cool if you've never seen it.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
Bally Spectrum has none and after playing and owning a game that has no bumpers i swore id never own one again... bumpers are just too cool to be without.. Love em

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »
Firepower and paragon have 4

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »
Genesis and Raven have four

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Wms Klondike has five bumpers, probably the thing i liked most (and miss most now its gone) about that game when i had it was that the bumpers were sooo fast and responsive.. they really made for some fast scoring and a lot of fun  *%*

Stern Lightning is another game with NO bumpers.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
I think in some games the bumpers are integral to playing the game. Space invaders is one that comes to mind. You use these bumpers to try and force the ball to hit a set of 4 targets, two of which are impossible to hit using the flippers. I'm sure there would be other games like this.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Bumpers are one thing I look for, they add a bit of kaos into the game.

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
So they seem to vary in number and use. I think games that make use of them are great, such as Simpsons PP - nuclear towers to complete Homers Day, Space invaders, etc. The Avengers and TZ seem pontless and annoying. Do seem to add authenticity to a pinball game - maybe just nostalgia or the chaos they cause - and they do seem a little powerful/scarey.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:35 AM »
Do seem to add authenticity to a pinball game - maybe just nostalgia or the chaos they cause

Yep, I think for most people when they think of what a pinball looks like the first thing they think of is pop bumpers.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
So they seem to vary in number and use. I think games that make use of them are great, such as Simpsons PP - nuclear towers to complete Homers Day, Space invaders, etc. The Avengers and TZ seem pontless and annoying. Do seem to add authenticity to a pinball game - maybe just nostalgia or the chaos they cause - and they do seem a little powerful/scarey.
I hear what you are saying but I think you misunderstand the purpose of bumpers and sling shots for that matter. The whole idea of pinball is to maximize control over the ball which in turn enables you to play the necessary shots to score high. I find slings and bumpers are there to take control away from the player and in the case of slings especially put the player in a position where draining down the sides is a real possibility. TZ bumper cause centre drains mainly, so the rocket shot (that opens up some scoring features) is a risky shot as it takes you to those bumpers and loss of control. The skill shot also has that risk as well.

Bumpers on some games are there to give the player a bit of a rest and add a little randomness.

So next time have a look at bumper positions and see if they actually add something to the flow/difficulty to the game and you will learn to appreciate them (I hope).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:58:29 AM by pinball god »

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
I hear what you are saying but I think you misunderstand the purpose of bumpers and sling shots for that matter. The whole idea of pinball is to maximize control over the ball which in turn enables you to play the necessary shots to score high. I find slings and bumpers are there to take control away from the player and in the case of slings especially put the player in a position where draining down the sides is a real possibility. TZ bumper cause centre drains mainly, so the rocket shot (that opens up some scoring features) is a risky shot as it takes you to those bumpers and loss of control. The skill shot also has that risk as well.

Bumpers on some games are there to give the player a bit of a rest and add a little randomness.

So next time have a look at bumper positions and see if they actually add something to the flow/difficulty to the game and you will learn to appreciate them (I hope).

Great post!  @@*  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
Thanks