Author Topic: Your pinball collection  (Read 1624 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Your pinball collection
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:27:50 AM »
Was just reading about gottleibs in a post and it got me thinking. What is the norm in a persons collection as far as makes?

I only have Williams/Bally. Reason being parts and knowing a makers equipment to enable proficient repairs and/or substituting parts from other games to aid in troubleshooting.

But is it reasonable to assume most collectors don't worry about the make of a game when adding to their collection? I always wanted a stargate but being non Bally/WMS has stopped me in the eleventh hour.

Maybe I should be more adventurous  *%* what do you think
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Your pinball collection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:34:21 AM »
Some great titles amongst the B/W range but no need to stop there. If a game does it for you then go for it. My first game was a Data East Star Wars which I love as I used to play it constantly with my mates on a Friday and Saturday night before heading out to the bars/ night clubs in the early ninetys. No regrets from me and mind was in pretty basic condition yet I was still able to find and fix ( with help from members of this forum) all issues with the machine. Now it looks and plays great.
 Game two is a Capcom Pinball Magic. Awesome game. No issues or problems at all, just a very fun game.
Good luck with whatever your next one is but don't let a brand get in the way of a good game!

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »
I have two gottlieb's and as of tomorrow I have two Williams. One em two ss and a dmd. I'm a pinball slut I'll take what ever I can get. I'm happy to own any pin.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:33 AM »

I have classic Williams, Gottlieb, B/W and Capcom. I think branching out is good, it exposes you to different ways of thinking about repairs as each maker did things differently. Pretty much everything (except some game unique parts) are available for these brands.

I like variety, but I must admit I am enjoying the later model games these days more than the classics from the early eighties.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:49:44 AM »
I have two EM gottliebs one system 3 GOTTLIEB (hopefully not for long) 3 Bally SS four Williams SS three Bally/Williams and other randoms

Bally Williams are by far the easiest to repair and maintain but I'm happy with any make if I enjoy te game or if its unusual enough

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:10:08 AM »
I have not sought games in the past because they were not brands or systems that I already owned
but that was silly, a good game is a good game, no matter who or when a game was made

Gottlieb EM's, sys 1
Williams sys 6, 7, 11
Bally, early solid state
Bally williams DMDs
Stern, Whitestar and SAM
Data East, Alpha numeric
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:13:29 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
You can find parts for pretty much anything if you are prepared to look hard enough for them... pinheads the world over are prepared to help each other out ive found.
I have all sorts of games in my collection and wouldnt dream of limiting myself to any particular manufacturers.. current list is:
GOTTLIEB
WILLIAMS
MIDWAY
NASCO
RALLY
BALLY
UNITED
STONER
CHICAGO COIN

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
I have had mostly Williams (EM's) , except for Firepower ,until recently, partly cause I was able to source them cheaper than Gottlieb EM's.

For me buying is mostly about price and the particular game, rather than manufacturer .
I currently have a Bally EM, 2 x Gottlieb EM's , 2 x Williams EM's , a B/W DMD (Creech) and 2 Williams SS but only room to have 4 set up at a time  !!!
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:02 PM »
The "norm" for me is twofold ;

Sentimental Value - Games I remember from when I was a child.

Rare games - Any manufacturer. Anything interesting.

I do stick to Bally SS as this is my favorite era and favorite manufacturer. I have spent years collecting my Ballys. Dad gave me Paragon and KISS. I then collected Fathom, Medusa, Viking, Centaur, EBD, Flash Gordon and Vector. I had to sell the Space Invaders as it scared my son when he was younger. I do own Haunted House, Spirit and Black Hole. They are all games I used to play in the city in 1982-83. Flight 2000 and Freefall are rare Sterns that are players.

EMs - I do like Gottliebs and Williams. But again, Bally EMs are my favorite. Shortly, I will be adding HUO Fireball, 4 Million BC, Captain Fantastic, HUO Nip It and Air Aces. This mini collection of EMs is better than any Gottliebs or Williams. They will sit next to my Wizard and Mariner. Gottlieb Spirit of 76 is my favorite EM. I've kept that game in the collection.

DMDs - CV is a keeper and is by far the best DMD ever made. I might add Scared Stiff down the track.

I would like to add rare Bally/Midways such as Atlantis and Transporter.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Wow, sounds like you have a fantastic collection Nino.  ^^^

Bally, Williams and Stern for me so far. I do see that growing to maybe a Gottlieb if i can find a Waterworld, Stargate or Street Fighter to play first (had an opportunity to play a Street Fighter once but was to embarrassed to ask to play it  !@)  %.% ). Capcom's Pinball Magic and Airbourne also interest me.

I don't think brand matters as long as you enjoy the game, I must admit though that i do see why Bally/Williams are favoured as they are built well and are solid.

Offline Ant

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
My Sargate has not given me any real trouble as yet (touch wood) the elektra has been a bit of a problem at the moment.

I was in a dentist waitng room many years ago and they had a Street Fighter. I guess thats one way of getting people to come back ^&(
Looking for The Simpsons Pinball Party and Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
never really cared who made the games I have in regards to "types/makes/models, If I like a game
I buy it...... I like to keep it simple

Stern S.A.M and WhiteStar
Sega WhiteStar
AlvinG
Williams Sys 7
Bally EM
Bally SS
PB2000
Williams/Bally System Sys 11 Wpc , Wpc 95
Capcom
Gottlieb Sys 3

the only thing that I'm yet to buy is DE

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
I started off with a Gottlieb Aquarius, then 2 more Gottliebs, then 2 more (all EMS).
Then, did a great swap with Extra Ball to get a Stern Nugent. Came across a Williams Flash. Manufacturers didn't matter -it was the games I was after.
I always wanted a manual ball loader. Came across a great Williams Riverboat (not to be confused with Riverboat Gambler).
Would gladly include a Bally into the family.
Yes, it is handy having one 'brand' for coils, spares, etc. But I put that convenience aside to have games I love playing.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.