Author Topic: A & B Title DMD games  (Read 776 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: A & B Title DMD games
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by a "cookie cutter" collector. I pretty good at desiphering meanings but it is Friday Arvo now
some one who only wants games from a 'Top 20' list , and usually wants them in perfect condition

Such a collector never plays his games

Did hear of one guy that insisted players wear gloves when playing his machines
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it may mean that. I think the way to configure a collection (IMO) and how I have is
1. Buy within your means
2. Have a game that's nice to look at but playable
3. Have a game that's a fast challenger
4. A game that you can absolutely kill and play a ball for an eternity
5. A game that's a bit slower like early SS games
6. Maybe a game with lots of gimmicks

Whether they're A's, B's or Z's don't matter, just cover the above and I think you'll have a good collection to satisfy any mood you may be in on the night.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
well said.....
....and buy all the games people tell u not to buy and u will have a great collection.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by a "cookie cutter" collector. I pretty good at desiphering meanings but it is Friday Arvo now
some one who only wants games from a 'Top 20' list , and usually wants them in perfect condition

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it may mean that. I think the way to configure a collection (IMO) and how I have is
1. Buy within your means

Whether they're A's, B's or Z's don't matter, just cover the above and I think you'll have a good collection to satisfy any mood you may be in on the night.

+1

A game for all seasons and every mood, that's the way to do it!

I had the best fun last weekend on a System 1 Gottlieb Sinbad with a few mates. That night Sinbad was an A lister to me and that's all that matters. If a game does it for you then that's all that matters.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 03:58:57 AM »
Crashramp, but Sinbad is an A lister :)
that game was awesome back in the 70's

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »
Crashramp, but Sinbad is an A lister :)
that game was awesome back in the 70's

+1 and it still is!  *%*

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
Excellent point there crashcamp, all my games are A's but when they're paying up they can go all the way to Z's  ^.^

Someone mentioned that some games are fun for awhile then show their true colours, I think that is why you need several games in a collection. I don't think pinney buying is an addiction but a necessity to keep your interest up. All games can get boring if you flog them every day for hours. I believe I my have hit the right number and mix now as I don't feel the urge to buy more as I did not so long ago.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:58:18 AM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

1. Buy within your means

+1

I had the best fun last weekend on a System 1 Gottlieb Sinbad with a few mates. That night Sinbad was an A lister to me and that's all that matters. If a game does it for you then that's all that matters.

That was a fun night but that dam flipper set up annoyed me lol but a great game sinbad. Thx for clearing up cookie cutter I wasn't sure either but its all personal choice! One question i have is CFTBL an A list game? If not now will it be if they reproduce the hologram? 

Peter

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »

I think I will stick to machines that are fun to play, bit of a challenge and not to expensive to buy or just what I am willing to spend.

That's what it's all about, not arguing "my X is a better player than such and such A-list game". Unfortunately that is what a discussion like this seems to bring out of some people.

Of course, there's no published "A-list", just a group of games that seem to command collector attention due to some group of factors that elevate it above the pack. Within that are games some like and some don't. But someone who collects only supposedly "A-List" games seems to then have a "Cookie Cutter Collection" - I'm not even sure that's a compliment to such a person, I wounder if it's more a sort of insult??

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »

One question i have is CFTBL an A list game? If not now will it be if they reproduce the hologram? 

Peter

I have wondered that too - I would have thought it was not quite up there with the likes of MM, TAF, AFM etc, but such a classic it can't be far off, and those LCD mods around and in development and the replacement holo aren't going to hurt.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

1. Buy within your means

+1

That was a fun night but that dam flipper set up annoyed me lol but a great game sinbad. Thx for clearing up cookie cutter I wasn't sure either but its all personal choice! One question i have is CFTBL an A list game? If not now will it be if they reproduce the hologram? 

Peter

Yes very fun night and Those flippers are defiantly a killer. The game and its rules seem so easy but if your half a second early with the flippers then straight through it goes! Keeps you coming back for more though.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
"my X is a better player than such and such A-list game".  

What about the question about whats next, Congo on the A list ?  :lol .........
Interesting, when in fact the score for Congo is 7.8 on IPDB compared to AFM at only 8.2, a difference of less than 10 percent....therefore, Congo is so close to AFM, it should be on the A list.....Congo is hardly a X machine when its only behind the AFM by less than 10 percent total score

It seems irrelevant to ask a question, then say its unfortunate when someone answers the question.

Why wouldnt people compare machines. People cant claim to have A list titles that are the best thing since sliced bread and not expect people to agree or disagree, or to put other machines up that they feel are similar or superior for a third of the cost. Thats quite normal.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
for interest, lets take MM, AFM, and the typical 4 or 5 machines that people call cookie cutters etc out of the list for the hell of it, and then list what are the next dozen best games ever made...thats the more interesting way to look at it, or even if a person adds a title, that was sooo good when they played it, they were so surprised by the fun of the game, they wanted it, or felt it was a instant A title for their collection....

for me, Starship Troopers, Viper Night Drivin, Congo, Black Knight 2000 are a few I can think of that were that good, they blew me away straight away...

anyone got any huge surprise machines u thought were instant A titles to you ??  !@# !@# !@#
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:10:56 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

Sheesh! I think you missed the point - the Congo example was aimed at the fact that I can't imagine that game would generally be put on this mysterious A-list, yet the rediscovery of Wh2O has elevated it from maybe B to maybe A. A game that has generally been lower rated historically might, like WH2O, suddenly find itself on the A-list. Never said Congo was a *bad* game, just that it is not likely to ever be seen as an A list game.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »
I would rate cftbl alongside wh2o, darn good machines that you will always enjoy playing

Or you could look at them as being the best of an era
It does seem that most A list games are wpc95

You can also note that production numbers of wpc95 was low because operators were still making money from wpc games