Author Topic: Australian Pinball Association  (Read 278 times)

Offline Pinmem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Caroline Springs, Melbourne
Australian Pinball Association
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:01:19 AM »
Would anybody know if there is an Australian Pinball Associaition and if so is it a brach of PAPA or another American Pinball Association.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Australian Pinball Association
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
On another forum the idea of an Australian Pinball Association was floated by Tony of The Pinball Shed in Brisbane. This is where it got to:-

Just a small update. Interest in this has gone through the roof, my phone hasn't stopped ringing since this was first posted last week. Good news travels quick.
I have received calls from several collectors with very large collections, some of these guys, I have never heard of ( only been in this game 20 years ). All called to offer assistance and help in whatever is required to make this happen.
I propose that the association be setup on a federal level with separate State branches to organise each state's activities and to promote the hobby in their states, running their own collectors swapmeets and also regular meets.
The Federal body would oversee and assist all the state branches when needed. The federal committee would also run the annual Expo and any other events on a National level.
I now call on expressions of interest from interested persons to form working parties in every state to assist in getting this association started.
If you know of any person that would be an asset in these working parties, please talk to them and let them know of our plans.
We want honest, hard working people with a passion for pinballs.
I have already received some names for some States. The more the better, remember this association is for any person who has an interest in pinball machines. You don't have to have a collection of 100 plus, you don't need to own any, as long as you have the passion burning inside you.
You, the membership will own this association, not any single person.
What do you think this association should do, to promote pinball in your State?
Lets have more feedback, keep it coming and start calling me or sending me some names to form our working parties.
Once this is setup, nominations will be called from our membership, for all the office bearers for each State and Federal body.
The membership will then vote and decide on who they want to be on their State committee.
Tony 0407116736

Haven't heard anything since 3rd February, but when things slow down a little I am sure Tony will move on this.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:02:59 PM »

I think it would be a great idea. I think the Pinball EXPO 2009 is the first stepping stone to achieve an association and I think the idea has already been floated. It seems obvious, as the Expo will be an annual event for all pinheads to get together.

It really depends on what you want out of an association.

I have not heard of the association organized outside of Expo. Interesting times !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »
Tony's intent as evidenced by his posts is that any association be as broad as possible, with everyone welcome (ie much broader than a single forum).

I know that 'politics' can occasionally intrude on pinball; I guess Tony was hoping that an association would not be plagued by such issues.

If anyone wants to know where it is up to I suggest they ring Tony.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
I've allways thought a state pinball club would be a better idea rather than a national association?? !@#

If each state had a club that could then elect a member to represent the national association. Just my 2 cents
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
I've allways thought a state pinball club would be a better idea rather than a national association?? !@#

If each state had a club that could then elect a member to represent the national association. Just my 2 cents

Well, Tony was sort of thinking along those lines, with state branches. Might be worth talking to him to take this idea further before he gets too far down the track?