Author Topic: Gary Stern talks Transformers Home Pin  (Read 1192 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Gary Stern talks Transformers Home Pin
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

Couldn't resist lets get back onto topic and see how many for's and against's there are.

I'm a no for this model

I'm a no also and not just for this theme. I personally wouldn't spend the money be it 3K or half that amount because I want the real thing and not the pretend version. But that's just me,  I've no problem with anyone else wanting to buy one though, each to there own, if you enjoy it good luck to you. I'd still like to hear from anyone familiar with the Pro or LE version to see what they think of the layout/look of the toy version though.

I also think that If Stern wanted to produce a machine to use up there spare parts or target a new market or whatever the case maybe, then in this case they should have re branded it so as not to negatively affect the "Stern" brand. I mean that in a positive way too. I'm glad Stern are still making pinball where others have pulled out of the market and I hope that they grow and innovate but this machine isn't the path for that.
+1 you make some excellent points in which a supposed good idea could actually damage a company's and industries reputation
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
Nice puppies,

Pin is fulgy.  At least they had a go.  Hopefully those that purchase enjoy,

Red

these things wont hit the Aus market %$%  they might as well give it up and make poker machines... lol

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:32 AM »
Add my no vote as well, simply because most if us on this form prefer real machines.

i assume some form of market research was done by the company, and a need identifies prior to undertaking construction of this "item". If not, the company is in serious trouble. Points for intiative if it is indicated, and double points if we are all proved wrong and it sells. The majority argument I get from non-pin converts is that the machines "always breakdown" and cost too much to maintain. If it is sold as some form of "solid, reliable" version, that will give many years of joy to "the whole"family, then it may have a chance.

Looks like it's lighter and more mobile too, so can be set up easier than the hulking monoliths I have to shuffle around some times.

Good luck to Stern, not my cup of tea, but I never thought One Dirction would ever sell CDs and look at how good they are>>>>>>>>>>>>> &^&

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
As has been said earlier, this was a quick and easy way of using up surplus inventory from a "full sized" title that did not sell as well as they hoped for. I doubt any market research has been done prior, if it sells they will churn out a few more as demand dictates, if it doesn't sell it will quickly become just another "Batman Lite" (forgotten about and shelved forever).

Something to consider for Stern's LE buyers, this is where your money is being spent......(2k for powdercoat times 500 machines goes a long way).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:51:39 AM by pinsanity »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
Good luck to Stern, not my cup of tea, but I never thought One Dirction would ever sell CDs and look at how good they are>>>>>>>>>>>>> &^&

Quite an apt comparison......... One Direction versus None Direction...................   #@#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
My take on it is simple: a toy should sell at a toy price. Stern was kidding themselves at $4000 - this has been recognised and at least they have dropped the price to $2700 on Amazon, but still way too much in my opinion.

I admit this hasn't stopped at least 7 people from buying one. Hopefully they get to enjoy it for a few years.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »

I admit this hasn't stopped at least 7 people from buying one. Hopefully they get to enjoy it for a few years.

Maybe we have it all wrong and sorry to any of you who brought the LE version but going by those numbers this unit is the REAL LE version!  :D @.@

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
As has been said earlier, this was a quick and easy way of using up surplus inventory from a "full sized" title that did not sell as well as they hoped for. I doubt any market research has been done prior, if it sells they will churn out a few more as demand dictates, if it doesn't sell it will quickly become just another "Batman Lite" (forgotten about and shelved forever).

Something to consider for Stern's LE buyers, this is where your money is being spent......(2k for powdercoat times 500 machines goes a long way).

This is even worse than I thought. So Stern had low numbers on Transformers - it didn't sell as well as they expected (for whatever reasons). So they stripped the game even further hoping it would sell more ? Sell a poor selling game as a toy to unsuspecting rich kids ? What are Stern thinking ?

Take the hit. Learn from the experience and spend more time developing the game. Instead, they go backwards. I hope the seven buyers of this toy enjoy their game. I'll bet they won't be repeat customers once they find out how much a real pinball costs !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Stern made too many LE Transformers. The Pro versions all sold, but they made too many LE versions. My understanding is they had apx 100 LE machines still in stock and the orders dried up and some sat for a while til they were heavily discounted for operators to put on site eventually.

Stern has since lowered its LE numbers which has worked well.

It would be good to see just how many of the Home pin they do sell, but with numbers not published, it will be hard to tell.
The machine looks fun in the videos, not withstanding the fact it is a entry level smaller machine.
I wonder if they made it to Australia, would they sell at places like Bunnings, Masters and say Harvey Norman......If they do alright in the USA, maybe they might come out here. I wonder if they made a operator version with a coindoor, would operators give one a go for the ease of moving it and the fact that it has a smaller footprint size wise in a shop etc. Wouldnt hurt to play around with one. !@#

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:26:34 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
My take on it is simple: a toy should sell at a toy price. Stern was kidding themselves at $4000 - this has been recognised and at least they have dropped the price to $2700 on Amazon, but still way too much in my opinion.

Spot on. "A toy should sell at a toy price". I'll be honest, it's grown on me, I'd like an Avengers The Pin" as an oddity/collector piece, but wouldn't pay $2700 when I could buy a full-sized pinball machine. Anything over $2000, would be better spending the money on a DMD machine, $1500-$2000 I would buy an 80s solid state machine and under $1500 I might consider The Pin. One man's opinion.

Cheers!
Adam.