Author Topic: 2013 Pinball Show - where would the best place be  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: 2013 Pinball Show - should it be combined with:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »
I also agree with Wotto. Comic con is a ready made vehicle, for pinball to hitch a ride would be smart move. One issue to consider though would be that Comic con moves around the country to various citys. Would pinball come to? I'm only new to the hobby and most of you guys would know better than me but I would have thought  the likes of Stern and others investing in pinball would love the exposure and possibly help pinball tour the country.
Another great thing about getting involved with Comic con is they've done it all before so theres lots of opportunity to look over shoulders and learn how to get a show right. I'd also be interested to know if pinball has been involved with Comic con else where in the world. If so were manufacuters and developers involved?

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »
Forget the ‘bitchy’ aspect.
Don’t worry about that – the WHOLE hobby can contribute, be you black , yellow, AA associated, AP associated , brindle, short , tall – it DOESNT MATTER.

What  I personally  DONT think should ever happen at ANY event is for EITHER FORUM to have ANY direct involvement ( as in any control ) in a show – a show needs to be as independent as possible and ALL about the game of pinball. Once new people get drawn to the game and potentially become new owners/ members of our games community then THEY can then discover for themselves the forums and the on-going back up assistance available at either place or other places.

Forums don’t need to part of the exhibition – games do.
Enthusiastic people that can promote the games and the enjoyment they bring need to be involved and the games can do all the talking.

A general competition however ( no AA Vs AP stuff ) could be a great part of the show, to show Joe Public that there is more to the game these days than just bashing a ball around for the heck of it.

Amen to that  *%*
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Have it in WA as people think we are all rich due to the mining boom  !^!
You will have no dramas with politics and you may even capture some of the Africa / South East Asia market ??
I doubt it will happen , but , at least I will put in for poor old Perth .
Will it be affected by carbon tax / mining tax and another 25% increase in power ? PROBABLY  ^&(
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
With out voting for your home town, if we were to have a pinball show in 2013, we would have to be a little strategic to get maximum support as well as be affordable for most to visit.

eg if it was in Sydney we could maybe get support from AMD, where as I know if a location like Newcastle was on the cards rent for a location would be cheaper but visitor numbers would be less.

Now time like the present to get people motivated and you never know.

Cast your votes
Why wouldn't you vote for your home town ^&^

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
I'd also be interested to know if pinball has been involved with Comic con else where in the world. If so were manufacuters and developers involved?

It would appear so .....  #@#

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/comic-con.html
And just LOOK at the damn crowd NUMBERS  :D @@* :D
As I stated earlier - shows are all about product awareness and marketing

The pinball theme is here at CC too -
http://n4g.com/news/811451/comic-con-2011-marvel-pinball-games-coming-to-ps-vita-nintendo-3ds-and-wiiu
Sure it AINT real pinball but it shows "the pinball theme" as popular and at least pinball has a 'presence' at Comic Con.

I have no doubt that future Aussie Comic Con organisers MAY be interested in at least discussing some pinball area's at future events - and it appears that Swinks idea to have Comic themed games there was also adopted by Stern at the time.

Crowd shot 2009 &&

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:44:06 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
Arrrrr bugger it.

I just wrote off to the International Comic Con guys asking some general questions about pinball at Comic Con, the future ( if returning ) of Comic Con in Australia etc.

I hope that I will get some initial answers - and Cavey , if it seems positive I will ask about the 'display only Vs Sales rules.
Will keep you all posted.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Swinksy is 100 percent correct. U would have to get AMD involved etc, with new machine sales, so Sydney or Newcastle would be the go, but Sydney definately first choice.

Melbourne would work if everyone put business first instead of personal gripes, but will it ever happen ? nope ! lol

WA is also a very smart idea because of the mining boom and people over there have heaps of money, so thats a great idea, if not the best idea if u get NIB Stern pinballs in attendance.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
TOP IDEA Wotto !  well done on some pro-active ideas and work.  The hobby and Industry needs more people like that 4 sure. Swinksy is right up there as well with a always positive outlook.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Good on you Wotto  ^^^, no harm in asking those questions and at least you (we) will be more knowledgeable.

Cavey, some valid points but you have to start somewhere, I was reading from Wotto's link the first Comic Con started in 1970 with just 300 visitors. I definitely would travel to Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide to check out a expo with pinball just to support the guys pushing it.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »

The AP vs AA thing is a reality unfortunately, because it is still pathetic that grown men of 40 yrs of age, wont attend each others events usually. The damage has been done, the rudeness u cop up here when u say u are on AP is amazing. 

Sorry, I do not see it (not in the last 12 months or so)

I know some people are out there trying to 'ignite a flame war', but most members are just happy to post on the forum that appeals to them

I agree with you Pete, I entered a tournament with yes a small one but with 5 of the 8 guys AA guys in it and they know that I visit there site from time to time and obviously they visit AP as they all knew my logo (as I do not show it there). As well the guys from Pinball n Pizza welcome me in for games in their establishment and asked about the comp just last night when I went there for games and pizza. We also are starting to have some of the long time members from AA become members with us and sharing interesting stuff as well. Best way to move on is be one community.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
Ive done a few trade shows over the years.. set up stalls etc. Many of the car stalls have absolutely nothing for sale.. but will take orders.
A proper trade show is not a cheap place to have your profile presented.. it is friggin expensive... minimum charge per power point etc. The guys i used to do this with dont do it anymore as the $$$'s were just not there and dwindled away... many car companies refused to display as they were just not getting the return.
I dont see any reason why it couldnt be piggy backed with something like Comicon, but price per stall would determine any success.
So what would you have???

Pinball Rescue maybe selling plastics,
Me with stencils and neon etc
A few spare parts stalls
Restored games for sale
Possible new pins on offer.

It doesnt matter about the forum thing.. AA..AP.. whatever. What does matter though is that whoever is there to organise/ invite for stalls should be impartial. The attempt last time to make expo a 1 forum event was pathetic and its this sort of pettiness that kills the community. People need to get over personal issues and stop behaving like little spoilt children.
You either have both forums profiled or none at all.. its simple.
I only care about someones character and some have displayed a character that is far short of reasonable

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Best way to move on is be one community.

Touche` and Halleee bloody luyah to that  *)*
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
As much as having Stern would be a good idea, really they only have a couple of models to show, and what about the rest?

The hobby side is dominated more by the older games, restoration and repair. I suspect that accounts for as much as 80% or more of the hobby.

Parts, dealers and games are more plentiful in Melbourne, so politics aside, it probably is the more realistic venue.

I'd prefer it in QLD so I could justify a holiday!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
QLD, sunny one day, beautiful the next !  (that was the old slogan)

QLD, sunny one day, FLOODED the next ! (that was last 6 months slogan)

QLD, sunny one day, COMPLETELY LABOUR FREE GOVERNMENT TODAY, and the next ! (current slogan)  (wooo hooo)

An expo anywhere would be fun !   I agree Nick, older stuff is 90 percent of the hobby, we just need the right venue with the right rules to get a big whack of DMD machines in plus SS and EM etc.  Melbourne would work best for that style expo for sure with ALL the Melbourne dealers, professionals in attendance.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
With out voting for your home town, if we were to have a pinball show in 2013, we would have to be a little strategic to get maximum support as well as be affordable for most to visit.

eg if it was in Sydney we could maybe get support from AMD, where as I know if a location like Newcastle was on the cards rent for a location would be cheaper but visitor numbers would be less.

Now time like the present to get people motivated and you never know.

Cast your votes
Why wouldn't you vote for your home town ^&^

Entertainment Centre costs etc would be reasonable here but we have no parts suppliers, no major pinball supplies other than AMD  150km away and for a pinball show to be effective it needs two main things. One being people to bring pinballs for play / display and we then need members / pinball community to visit which would mean alot would have to travel which is inevitable no matter where it is in Aus. Don't get me wrong I love Newy and could see some huge benefits, traffic isn't a problem but I personally think Sydney, Surfers / Brisbane or Melbourne are the best suited because of a good tourism base as well as good member base and some pinball suppliers and I would not hesitate travelling to any of those places.

for pinball t-shirts