Author Topic: Career Change ?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Career Change ?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
Great read there Vinito.

Your management analysis certainly does reflect the corporate model, although it's harsh (obviously for the humor) but much of it is based on reality. Management generally works at only one thing - justifying management's existence, more worried about their job than the success of the company. I was trained differently by a management Zen Master!  :) He taught me it was all about creating an environment where the staff are empowered (within safe limits) to achieve, and the goal is make yourself redundant! The only truly successful manager is one where the department/business has developed its people to such a level that the manager is no longer needed. It's a great theory, and in practice some level of balance needs to be applied, but I have followed the model with some great success - but it also can make the manager a casualty if his manager is of the normal style as you describe. It can only work if every single person in management from the very top down adheres to it. One of the businesses I took over ten years ago (and left behind with my recent departure from the main firm) literally took around one to two hours a week to manage - and it made a very healthy profit, run by three lovely ladies (all of who I recruited over the years), who loved their jobs. Sadly, the supervisor rang me a week or so ago to ask for a written reference (I'd hire her in a millisecond if I was recreating a new business), then I had a call yesterday for a reference for one of the others, I guess things aren't as much fun a month later. Sad though, but not surprising given what I saw personally due to the managing partner. He replaced (heck, I voted for it!) the previous managing partner. The previous one understood my style. Turns out my vote might have been a mistake in hindsight!   &^&

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:53:33 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”