Author Topic: Career Change ?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Career Change ?
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »
I've been in IT now for 18 years, and to be honest, I'm feeling the effects of being "burnt out". Combined with the lack of incentive to update my certifications has led me to the question -

Has anyone moved from one Career to another - in another Business sector or industry with success ?

Younger people getting into IT now, have not idea what they are in for.. Things have changed for heaps of reason - Corporate Greed, Mismanagement, under funding etc.. etc... I'm tired of "big business" and wearing a suit to work...

I would not mind a change, but I'm "stuck" in my ways, and somewhat stubborn  @@^

Thoughts ?

Advise ?

!@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Career Change ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »
I've only been in IT for 8 years and I feel "burnt out", god knows how I will feel with another 10 years under my belt! I would love a career change, but don't have any qualifications in anything else and don't really want to start at the bottom of the ladder again. Earning the money I earn now would be hard to give up too. But that's enough about me, sorry for the highjack!  !^!

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »
I've only been in IT for 8 years and I feel "burnt out", god knows how I will feel with another 10 years under my belt! I would love a career change, but don't have any qualifications in anything else and don't really want to start at the bottom of the ladder again. Earning the money I earn now would be hard to give up too. But that's enough about me, sorry for the highjack!  !^!

Matthew

Thats fine Matt - That's what I want to hear - other people's thoughts..

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Strangeways, you sound like my long lost twin brother. I hear you buddy. 21 years in IT and burnt out like you would not believe. Being managed by incompetents and being treated like a child - still. IT has been turned upside down since every man and his dog thinks they can develop/test/implement corporate wide applications on their PC using .NET or similar. I would love to slap these cowboys around the head a bit. A lot actually...

I would love to get out but where to? I would love to drive a truck or something like that!

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
I spent 24 years with a lift company in various roles. Started there when I was 17 left when I was 41.. Scarey really.

Anyway made a change an now work as a Consultant in the industry to Buiding Owners/Managers etc

No regrets, I needed a new challange, and its been good.  Still the same industry.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
I go to work everyday wondering what rubbish will get pushed my way today. That's not a good sign.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »
I moved from finance to law 15 years ago, after 10 years in finance. Probably would have said successfully except tomorrow marks the end of the legal phase, at least in its current guise. I have set up a sole practice to work from home for a couple of select clients, but after having been responsible for about 40,000 conveyancing and other property transactions I might say I was (am) somewhat burnt out too.

The new work I will start (the client work will be a sideline really) is with a group of people who have put together an IT package for my industry! Unlike you Stubbornways and Crutch, I won't be actually working in IT though, but its sort of ironic in some ways.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:47 PM »
Strangeways, you sound like my long lost twin brother. I hear you buddy. 21 years in IT and burnt out like you would not believe. Being managed by incompetents and being treated like a child - still. IT has been turned upside down since every man and his dog thinks they can develop/test/implement corporate wide applications on their PC using .NET or similar. I would love to slap these cowboys around the head a bit. A lot actually...

I would love to get out but where to? I would love to drive a truck or something like that!

Armstrong's is about 5 Minutes from my place and they instruct Vans, Buses and 18 wheelers.. The thought has crossed my mind, as I enjoy being on the road..

I guess I don't "fit in" with older IT principles.. In the "old days" we used to Plan, test, pilot, implement and support.. These days, the emphasis is on implement once, implement twice, curse the lack of planning, ask "whats scope", forget the objective... then I have to fix it.. Bosses get together, pat themselves on the back.. and I'm back to square one..

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
I moved from finance to law 15 years ago, after 10 years in finance. Probably would have said successfully except tomorrow marks the end of the legal phase, at least in its current guise. I have set up a sole practice to work from home for a couple of select clients, but after having been responsible for about 40,000 conveyancing and other property transactions I might say I was (am) somewhat burnt out too.

The new work I will start (the client work will be a sideline really) is with a group of people who have put together an IT package for my industry! Unlike you Stubbornways and Crutch, I won't be actually working in IT though, but its sort of ironic in some ways.

Now then, be nice, nobrains4me... Don't let the IT bug bite you on the ass !!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Now then, be nice, nobrains4me...

C'mon Nino, don't be so hard on yourself. You clearly have some brains given those wonderful restores you do!  :)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:14:36 PM »
Don't let the IT bug bite you on the ass !!

Oh, and while I am flattered, I'll decline, but thanks for the offer!   &&

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:15:45 PM »
Nino,
Happy to train you as an accountant, only conditions would be that you would have to move to Adelaide and also restore my pinballs - seem fair?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:42:39 PM by tonyt »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »
I guess I don't "fit in" with older IT principles.. In the "old days" we used to Plan, test, pilot, implement and support.. These days, the emphasis is on implement once, implement twice, curse the lack of planning, ask "whats scope", forget the objective... then I have to fix it.. Bosses get together, pat themselves on the back.. and I'm back to square one..

Couldn't have summed it up better...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »
Actually I'm pretty sure that's what it is - mid life crisis. Half my life over and apart from raising 2 wonderful kids, wtf have I done with my life????