Author Topic: Career Change ?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Career Change ?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »
Some of the things making me want to change:

- No job description. Been in this role 2.5 years and I still don't know what my job is. Seems to be a fire fighter more than anything.
- Treated like a child, not an adult.
- Management have nothing new to teach me. Same old, same old.
- Micro managed to the nth degree.
- 1 performance review in 2.5 years. The last one I had I was told to read and sign.
- IT is now full of incompetent f**kwits who think they know the world fresh out of Uni. IT aint what it used to be.
- Lack of respect for people with experience. I have 25 year olds who think their shit doesn't stink and dive in with 6 shooters blazing. Instead of being taught the right way they are praised for cutting corners.

A few of my favourite things... %.%

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 05:21:02 AM »
This is very belated, but I'll throw my $.02 into the mix.

I've been going through a similar phase for quite a while now so I'll offer a few thoughts, many of which are half-baked and others which I've pondered at length.

I am a bit of a job hopper. Used to be that my usual length at a company was about 2 years. Usually I left because a better opportunity came up, but I was also fed up at the same time. The problem was, without fail, typical corporate "structure" issues:
B. To improve the One Manager's effectiveness, stop all "productive" work and have meetings at least once per week.
5. To improve the One Manager's effectiveness, throw paperwork at the problem. To introduce the new paperwork, create a PowerPoint presentation and use every transition effect available to impress the lowly employees, then see #3 above.
4. Employees must be referred to as "associates" even though the origin of nor reason for this practice is known. All the other managers from last summer's seminar did this, so you must do this too.
7. Of utmost importance is to create a working atmosphere throughout the company that your thumb is firmly held down on each and every employee...er..."associate".
8. Reprimand often and create a paper trail for each one. This makes it easy to fire anyone at any time and harder for "terminated" employees to receive unemployment compensation. Change policy often and/or add new policies weekly. Before long it will be impossible for anyone to follow them all. Reprimands for everyones' file!

If you follow the above instructions, you will have totally switched the focus of the company from delivering quality product to a well-oiled mass of corporate soldiers. The creative and talented individuals who would be able and willing to challenge the logic of your strategy will leave on their own early-on in the process. Congratulations!

Sound familiar?
I realized long ago that the answer for me would have to be either self-employment or finding a small company to call "home". I haven't worked out the discipline to be self-employed, but I recently found a good company that could hardly be smaller - 3 of us, one of whom is the owner. The reason my salvation had to be in a small company is that, for a really small company to succeed, the decisions have to make sense. Do that corporate "policy" junk and it will go under in a hurry. Large companies can go under too, but they have so much corporate money and credit that they can feed off that tit for a very long time before they finally call it quits. The other thing I like about my current job is that, when he started the place, he decided to focus on high-quality, interesting, precision machining. We don't do drudgerous multi-thousand-piece runs. We'll occasionally do 100 pieces but normally it's between 5 and 20. This means the actual work is changing often and keeps it interesting. Since high-quality is the highest priority, we are never pressured to work faster (other than self-imposed internal pressure I guess). We have all been in this field for quite a while though so we work very efficiently just from experience. No worries.

OK, I'm basically ranting so far, but this is what I've found to work for me:
They say working in a field that you are passionate about is the key to happiness, but that's not true at all unless you consider where you decide to place that passion. You have to look under a lot of rocks, but if you look enough you can find a place worthy of your talents.
You work your best hours of most days at your job. If you hate your job, then the money looks much less appealing. I could make more money in several large companies around here, but the daily atmosphere where I work now is very positive (unlike anywhere I've been in over 20 years) and that's worth quite a bit of money to me.
Luckily I've spent a lot of time creating a relatively frugal lifestyle and that helps a lot. If I had to, I could almost collect aluminum cans by the highway and take them to the recycler to make the house payment. When I work on my house, it's almost always the result of deciding to put to use some pile of lumber or rocks or whatever that someone else decided to throw away. One example: My yard is fairly large and that means I need a riding lawnmower, and even that is a scavenged system. Over the years I've dragged home five of the same model mower because people were throwing them out. Mowers are always breaking down and I have two working and three for parts. This life is a little more hassle than the typical "throw money at the problem" style that most everybody I know have, but I think it keeps me a little more engaged too though.

Anyways, for me dealing with life has become a two-pronged approach. 1) create a frugal lifestyle so it's not so difficult to live within my means and 2) Find a job which, though maybe I don't "look forward" to going to every morning (i.e. if I won the lottery I'd retire in a second), once I get there it is a pretty good experience with people that I respect and usually enjoy being around, and they respect my abilities & opinions too.

So that's the "job" part of life anyway. The multitude of other facets in life are still a challenge of course, but those don't seem to take such a big chunk out of my soul.

Sorry for the long post.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
Great read there Vinito.

Your management analysis certainly does reflect the corporate model, although it's harsh (obviously for the humor) but much of it is based on reality. Management generally works at only one thing - justifying management's existence, more worried about their job than the success of the company. I was trained differently by a management Zen Master!  :) He taught me it was all about creating an environment where the staff are empowered (within safe limits) to achieve, and the goal is make yourself redundant! The only truly successful manager is one where the department/business has developed its people to such a level that the manager is no longer needed. It's a great theory, and in practice some level of balance needs to be applied, but I have followed the model with some great success - but it also can make the manager a casualty if his manager is of the normal style as you describe. It can only work if every single person in management from the very top down adheres to it. One of the businesses I took over ten years ago (and left behind with my recent departure from the main firm) literally took around one to two hours a week to manage - and it made a very healthy profit, run by three lovely ladies (all of who I recruited over the years), who loved their jobs. Sadly, the supervisor rang me a week or so ago to ask for a written reference (I'd hire her in a millisecond if I was recreating a new business), then I had a call yesterday for a reference for one of the others, I guess things aren't as much fun a month later. Sad though, but not surprising given what I saw personally due to the managing partner. He replaced (heck, I voted for it!) the previous managing partner. The previous one understood my style. Turns out my vote might have been a mistake in hindsight!   &^&

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:53:33 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
Yea, I did "Dilbert-ify" the commandments. I have seen it printed several times now that if your job rings true with the Dilbert comic strip very often, then it's probably time to find a new place of employment.

I agree with you in many ways. I was a manager of a machining and welding crew a few years ago. My background was just in machining & welding, but also in teaching. No managing history however. So when they put me in charge I just decided to approach it as being the teacher. Most of the crew was pretty green, so it was easy to find many things I could teach most of them. My job was just to show them how to do their job. When there was a machine "crash", they were always afraid trouble would be coming down on them, but I just showed them how to fix whatever broke and get back up & running again. After about 9 months, my job was extremely easy because everybody knew their jobs and had a lot of confidence to handle whatever came up. It's a no-brainer.

But if your goal is to simply justify your existence, then your job requires so much more work that never ends. I guess that would have to come from a place where a manager's existence is on shaky ground to begin with due to lack of ability, plus the likely fact that his manager can't see what's wrong so it perpetuates. Dilbert.

I'm just glad I'm out of that garbage for now. I'm kind of a free-spirit hipster at heart, so typical corporate hierarchy crap is very hard for me to accept. It eats me alive and I just have to leave.

I shooda learned to play the guitar!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
I shooda learned to play the guitar!

Lol!  I did! Still play from time to time, used to play semi-pro every weekend until about six years ago, but lost interest (got old???). Just got offered a fortnightly gig so back to practicing a bit. Not gonna pack it in and hit the road though, my kids would (hopefully) miss me (Mrs Pinnies4me probably not...)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
I think I saw you play one night before I got arrested. Here's the police sketch:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:13:45 AM by vinito »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol