Author Topic: Career Change ?  (Read 3361 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: Career Change ?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
Yea, I did "Dilbert-ify" the commandments. I have seen it printed several times now that if your job rings true with the Dilbert comic strip very often, then it's probably time to find a new place of employment.

I agree with you in many ways. I was a manager of a machining and welding crew a few years ago. My background was just in machining & welding, but also in teaching. No managing history however. So when they put me in charge I just decided to approach it as being the teacher. Most of the crew was pretty green, so it was easy to find many things I could teach most of them. My job was just to show them how to do their job. When there was a machine "crash", they were always afraid trouble would be coming down on them, but I just showed them how to fix whatever broke and get back up & running again. After about 9 months, my job was extremely easy because everybody knew their jobs and had a lot of confidence to handle whatever came up. It's a no-brainer.

But if your goal is to simply justify your existence, then your job requires so much more work that never ends. I guess that would have to come from a place where a manager's existence is on shaky ground to begin with due to lack of ability, plus the likely fact that his manager can't see what's wrong so it perpetuates. Dilbert.

I'm just glad I'm out of that garbage for now. I'm kind of a free-spirit hipster at heart, so typical corporate hierarchy crap is very hard for me to accept. It eats me alive and I just have to leave.

I shooda learned to play the guitar!
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.