Aussie Pinball Forums > Pinball Training 101

Remember to change the batteries

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mr Pinbologist:

--- Quote from: ddstoys on September 06, 2010, 11:11:42 AM ---I'm going to convert all my games to super caps when I get time as I'm a shocker for batteries my gorgar has the same batteries in it from when I got it ( how bars that). No leakage and they are the black and gold aswel.

But thanks nick for the reminder I'm going to rip the boards out and super cap it tonight.

--- End quote ---

Just a word of warning when using super caps and memory backup caps... these too can leak and cause corrosion!! Being a electronics tech by trade i have seen them leak (on one occasion) in electronic equipment and corrode boards (some Sony sound systems and some older VCRs used them). Admittedly it is rare but it CAN happen. My boss just confirmed this for me as well, he too has come across leaky corroding caps and has seen them corrode boards.

So i would be checking these caps from time to time if using them.

ktm450:
I have had a lot of problems with Duracells leaking, mainly in kids toys but also a few of my things. I do not use them in pinballs anymore for that reason, well actually I never buy them anymore, More leaks than any other mainstream brand I have come across  ^.^

billxixix:
i am fitting remote battery holders to all my pins best thing  to do ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

pinnies4me:

--- Quote from: billxixix on March 12, 2011, 12:04:12 AM ---i am fitting remote battery holders to all my pins best thing  to do ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I've fitted all games except Time Warp as that was with a mate, just got it back so I'll be fitting the remote this weekend.

I've used these -
http://www.futurlec.com/Batteries-Holders.shtml#3XAAHOLDER

The advantage is that 9 volt style connector - makes board removal a breeze - BUT take care, you could touch the connector the wrong way and potentially do damage, so when reconnecting just need some are. If game needs a diode to stop charging (ie doing this to a game that had ni-cads, like an old Gottlieb board) better off with a four battery holder so you can install the diode neatly in the unused spot.

Caveoftreasures:
On reading this post again, i remembered i went to jaycar n bought a dozen remote battery holders to fit to the machines i have without the battery holders a few weeks back. Got to fit them now when time is permitting. They cost me like $2 each from jaycar. Bargain.

It seems that most brands of batterys cant be trusted like Nick (pinnies4me) said. I wonder if the batterys leak quicker when a machine is used alot versus not used much at all over a 12 month period. (meaning hot batteries leak 0r dont leak quicker)  I wonder what the battery companies would say.  !@#

I find only the super heavy duty Duracell black n golds dont leak but the others do.

Board damage is a major pain in the ass after you already changed those batteries out. Glad u caught it in time Nick.  ^^^ Friggin Batteries  ^&^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version