Author Topic: Bugs Bunny Reproduction Ramp Quality Discussion  (Read 8849 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Bugs Bunny Reproduction Ramp Quality Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
My Bugs Bunny original ramp molds is one more than none.

And he was producing a lot of ramps in a very short space of time with "molds" that he acquired at the same time so he must have got a lot of other molds from his Illinois Pinball haul.

Perhaps I should send him a email and get the facts directly from the molds owner.

Good idea, be sure to ask if he used original B/W molds, or did he have them made

EDIT
No need to message anyone
Is the ramp solid like a standard like a BW ramp, or kinda flexable like the ramps on Ironman?
Look closely, are the walls and floor of the ramp smooth, or can you see a slight rippling effect

I have repro AFM ramps from both Mark and Pinball INC, the difference is as clear as night and day

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:10:43 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Pinballace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 05:17:10 AM »

One of the things about the Bugs Bunny games was that no one was producing all the ramps for these machines but Mark C did me a huge favour & did the new ramps for me from the original mounds he purchased from Illinois Pinball.
That was a life saver cause no one else was doing the ramps.

are you sure?
Mark usually had the mold made from an existing ramp

Yes I am sure. Mark had the original bugs bunny ramp moulds included in the sale from Illionois pinball.
I remember a discussion with the guy who was running the Pinballinc company who could NOT make me the ramps because he didn't have the original BB moulds and Mark did.
There was some fight between the parties because one party got them $ in the bulk deal and the other party wanted them & didn't get them.

I was then able to get the ramps made by Mark and am very grateful.
I understand that there were a lot more moulds acquired by Mark than just the BB ones and the jealousy or argument over these various moulds went on forever but in the end Mark purchased them legally and then started his new large ramp business.
I was just glad Mark made the effort to tool up to make me 4 ramps which incl spares.
I had been a loyal customer for years so karma worked out well.  The other guy said even if he had the moulds he wouldn't make them for me because it wasn't worth his time for just 4. So to me, the moulds ended up in the right hands cause I got them made almost instantly.
I only cared about the ramps, I didn't care about the other parties disagreements.
But yes, a lot of different people ended up with a lot of different stuff from the asset sale of Illinois Pinball.

Years later, there is still a bit of bartering and swapping and selling going on to consolidate various parts of the bundled assets.

Let me set the record straight as you have no clue which you speak.  Muck C did NOT buy nor has he EVER had access to an original Williams/Bally ramp tool.  PERIOD.  Your second quality BBBB (and I can call them second quality as I've seen them first hand) were NOT made from any original tooling.  He did NOT buy a single part mold, PERIOD.  Pinball Inc legally bought and owned ALL tooling from Illinois Pinball, PERIOD.  If he told you he had a single ramp made off an original tool then he lied straight up.  At this time there are only THREE companies that get parts made directly off ALL original Williams tooling that that is Starship Fantasy, Pinball Inc and Planetary Pinball.  Any other company is a buyer from one of these three companies.  In fact Muck C is CANNOT purchase new parts made from ANY original Williams tooling neither directly nor indirectly, PERIOD. 

Furthermore, to set the record straight on tooling as the ownership now stands.  Starship Fantasy now own ALL original ramp tooling and Planetary Pinball own ALL other original Williams tooling and ownership of all those tools came DIRECTLY from Pinball Inc.  Pinball Inc continue to get parts off original tooling whenever tooling is run if we so desire.  THE ONLY COMPANY IN AUSTRALIA THAT CAN BUY PARTS MADE DIRECTLY OFF ORIGINAL WILLIAMS TOOLING DIRECTLY FROM PINBALL INC. IS RTBB. 

So Caveofwhatever, next time you want to spout off about all that you think you know you might want to get your information from a truthful/honest source and one that doesn't lie just to boost his own ego.

Just to be fair, your BBBB ramps are indeed better than nothing but then again a starving dog will eat a turd to survive.             
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 05:45:03 AM »
Thanks for setting the record straight with a very apt response, James.   ^^^

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:17:53 AM by pinsanity »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:20:52 AM »
also a percentage of the molds that IPD were also thrown as they degraded to a state that they were not useable. Any molds that are designed in a way to have 2 halves and placed in a press are machine steel and not stainless steel as as stainless would fail very quickly under the press loads. When molds are stored they need a light coat of machine oil to protect them from rust as well as to maintain a smooth motion as they have tight tolerances to maintain accuracy.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
also a percentage of the molds that IPD were also thrown as they degraded to a state that they were not useable. Any molds that are designed in a way to have 2 halves and placed in a press are machine steel and not stainless steel as as stainless would fail very quickly under the press loads. When molds are stored they need a light coat of machine oil to protect them from rust as well as to maintain a smooth motion as they have tight tolerances to maintain accuracy.

Not sure where you get your information?  There were no tooling, other than the odd one maybe two pieces of tooling that was physically damaged, which were thrown.  Some of the tooling does need a bit of refurbishment but that's typical and part of the process.   

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
Rick stated it a while back and was in regards to corrosion not mis-care damage, but maybe with advice and a expert looking at them they acted proactively to go for the refurbished avenue which is a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:19:07 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »
Rick stated it a while back and was in regards to corrosion not mis-care damage, but maybe with advice and a expert looking at them they acted proactively to go for the refurbished avenue which is a good thing.

Whatever Rick might have said Swinks, Pinballace (ie PinballInc) is the expert on this by a country mile, so I would tend to have little doubt over anything James states.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
Perhaps I should send him a email and get the facts directly from the molds owner.

Top idea...

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »

Top idea...

It sure worked out well, didn't it.  :lol

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »

There were other types of tooling like dies and other obsolete junk that would never be run that were rubbish.  As for the injection and thermoforming stuff nothing was tossed.  Not to say there may be some that get scrapped in the future just because they are never going to get run again as the part is obsolete or just not worth making and the metal is worth more than the tool.

As for the history of the Williams tooling, some of it was scrapped by a company BEFORE Illinois Pinball took it over.  IIRC the company was Mercury Plastics.  They got scrapped because the company went out of business and the tooling got scrapped before anyone knew it was still there.     

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
Me thinks a sub thread is needed called
" you got schooled son "  %.%
where is the happy  &&
interesting read about the ramps for sure, thanks.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
Me thinks a sub thread is needed called
" you got schooled son "  %.%
where is the happy  &&
interesting read about the ramps for sure, thanks.

And you think CoT will concede the point?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »
The only thing I can concede is what I was told at the time by the man who had a Bugs Bunny mold who said it was from Illionois Pinball. Up until 5 years later, I had never been told anything different. I also note that the info about the molds that had been apparently acquired in the Illinois Pinball containers that Mark bought was given to me around the time the Illinois Pinball containers had come in.

I asked for BBunny ramps, and within a few weeks the ramps were made. So either the container did have an original BB mold, or magically a BB mold was developed and made & ramps were supplied within 14 days for an order of only 4 ramps.
It was logical for me to accept the info I was told, cause no one would get a mold made for only 4 ramps. I took the person at their word because he said he had the mold then made me the ramps !

I also will add, that Mark made me the ramps I desperately needed for both machines within a few weeks of me asking for them and the other company made it clear they could not and would not make the Bugs Bunny ramps. The ramps I received are of excellent quality and were priced very low.

I wasn't interested in all the political garbage contained in the various rude and arrogant posts.
I simply stated what was told to me by the person who made me the ramps. It's a shame the various ramp sellers don't have a good healthy professional relationship. There seems to be some butt hurt going on all these years later.
Is it because their is competition & one seller doesn't have a monopoly, is it because someone had a court case and a bad outcome, or just two personalities don't like each other. Obviously, when Mark purchased various items from that Illinois Pinball container deal, someone somewhere didn't like the fact that he had got various items. But no need to take it out on the person who buys ramps from someone else other than the USA sellers.

I don't have a problem with anyone-who makes or sells ramps.

Does the other USA company make all the Bugs Bunny ramps like Mark.
If so that's great.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:06:34 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
thanks for the input pinball inc and setting me and us straight - love facts over fiction and yes I was going on hear say but appreciate your input.

carry on....  ^^^

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »
The only thing I can concede is what I was told at the time by the man who had a Bugs Bunny mold who said it was from Illionois Pinball. Up until 5 years later, I had never been told anything different. I also note that the info about the molds that had been apparently acquired in the Illinois Pinball containers that Mark bought was given to me around the time the Illinois Pinball containers had come in.

I asked for BBunny ramps, and within a few weeks the ramps were made. So either the container did have an original BB mold, or magically a BB mold was developed and made & ramps were supplied within 14 days for an order of only 4 ramps.
It was logical for me to accept the info I was told, cause no one would get a mold made for only 4 ramps. I took the person at their word because he said he had the mold then made me the ramps !

I also will add, that Mark made me the ramps I desperately needed for both machines within a few weeks of me asking for them and the other company made it clear they could not and would not make the Bugs Bunny ramps. The ramps I received are of excellent quality and were priced very low.

I wasn't interested in all the political garbage contained in the various rude and arrogant posts.
I simply stated what was told to me by the person who made me the ramps. It's a shame the various ramp sellers don't have a good healthy professional relationship. There seems to be some butt hurt going on all these years later.
Is it because their is competition & one seller doesn't have a monopoly, is it because someone had a court case and a bad outcome, or just two personalities don't like each other. Obviously, when Mark purchased various items from that Illinois Pinball container deal, someone somewhere didn't like the fact that he had got various items. But no need to take it out on the person who buys ramps from someone else other than the USA sellers.

I don't have a problem with anyone-who makes or sells ramps.

Does the other USA company make all the Bugs Bunny ramps like Mark.
If so that's great.

You really dont know when to stop. Keep digging that hole buddy