Author Topic: Making a backglass - Reverse print method Pt#1&2  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Making a backglass - Reverse print method Pt#1&2
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
Im making a couple of backglasses this weekend... below is the method which ill outline in stages.

Obviously, first thing we need is a sheet of glass.. make sure it gets tempered and edges are smoothed. 4mm is normally thick enough for any backglass.. some early EM may require 5mm. If you go under 4mm for tempered then you risk warping in the oven as the glass is annealed.

Once you have your artwork ( a file should be in the region of 20Mb plus to get good results) you need to have it DOUBLE struck with ink and printed in REVERSE. If you go single strike on the ink, the colours wash out when its backlit. Its printed in reverse so the print sits behind the glass and gives the illusion of a screen printed version.

STEP 1.

Lay glass down... spray lightly with water and a couple of drops of detergent and wipe off with a SOFT vinyl applicator... this removes any tiny particles.
Then respray lightly with your water mix.

Place the print backing paper side up onto the wet glass.. the print will stick slightly due to the surface tension in the water layer... this allows you to peel the backing off spraying as you go.

Once backing is completely removed you can lift it up and flip it over onto the glass. The water/ detergent mixture allows you to move it around to align all edges correctly

You can do this dry which is quicker, but your alignment has to be exact to start with.. i only do it this way if i have  another person helping.

Once in place, a light spray again to allow the applicator to move across the print smoothly. Its essential that a soft applicator is used.. we are wiping on the printed ink here and it scratches very very easily.
To get the water layer out.. hold print down with one finger to start and begin at the bottom ( edge nearest you), place applicator in the centre and wipe towards one edge... move back to your centre and wipe to other edge.
This now has your print held in place and going from centre out, you can gradually move up the glass making sure your overlapping yourself each time.

Once this is done we need to put to one side to dry off a bit... when done wet the edges like to curl up and so you have to go back several times and reapply these. This is the downside of the wet method... had i done it dry i could have gone to the next stage straight away. Both methods have their downside.. wet takes longer, but dry risks misregistration and also bubbles which stand out like ripe plums on a bulldog.....Pinball machines make great resting surfaces!

Part 2 next....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:37:59 PM by Retropin »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Making a backglass - Reverse print method Pt#1
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:54:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing / explaining , look forward to the following parts.

When you say double struck in the printing method - can you explain this please?

cheers
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing / explaining , look forward to the following parts.

When you say double struck in the printing method - can you explain this please?

cheers

Print is printed twice, so double the ink, without this, youll get no depth to any of the colours

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

Interesting - What game ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »

Interesting - What game ?

This BG is for Zac DEVIL RIDERS... method applies to any BG though obviously

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
Cheers Retro, I thought that was it.

How to replicate the mirror effect - with a final application of mirror vinyl or does that not work or look good.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »

How to replicate the mirror effect - with a final application of mirror vinyl or does that not work or look good.

Very hard to do... you cant print chrome.. comes out grey. Only way you can do it is to cut mirrored vinyl for the areas you need. Dont weed out... leave the entire piece of vinyl as one... apply to the BG first, then weed out whats not required... your print then goes over the top of this. It must be done dry though and very slowly/ carefully as your water mix tends to get trapped between the edges of the chrome and the glass... very difficult to squeedgy this out. If you laminate the print then you can heat the parts where it meets the chrome edge with a hairdryer very gently.. then using you felt applicator it can be manipulated into the edges and give a perfect effect of the whole thing being one layer

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Thanks for the process  ^^^
Do you send the original backglass/ artwork to a printer for scanning and what file format is it scanned.
I gather you get it printed at a printshop - What exactly is the instructions you give them ?
Hope this makes sense.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
Thanks for the process  ^^^
Do you send the original backglass/ artwork to a printer for scanning and what file format is it scanned.
I gather you get it printed at a printshop - What exactly is the instructions you give them ?
Hope this makes sense.

Scans, knitting and corrections are all done by me beforehand... the artwork for this BG is freely available on David Gersics site and ive used this file for this BG.
You need to get your file to correct size and in JPEG format.
If you then take this file to a sign shop to get printed.. tell them you need it printed onto clear, double strike and in reverse... theyll reverse it for you no problems if you cant do this yourself.
Tell them you also need some translucent white oversized... this is the next step

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

Very hard to do... you cant print chrome.. comes out grey. Only way you can do it is to cut mirrored vinyl for the areas you need. Dont weed out... leave the entire piece of vinyl as one... apply to the BG first, then weed out whats not required... your print then goes over the top of this. It must be done dry though and very slowly/ carefully as your water mix tends to get trapped between the edges of the chrome and the glass... very difficult to squeedgy this out. If you laminate the print then you can heat the parts where it meets the chrome edge with a hairdryer very gently.. then using you felt applicator it can be manipulated into the edges and give a perfect effect of the whole thing being one layer

So you put the mirror on first, then the print?
When you do the mirror, do you get it cut on a vinyl cutter?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

So you put the mirror on first, then the print?
When you do the mirror, do you get it cut on a vinyl cutter?

Is the only way to cut it... you have to make your file first though... you cant cut on a plotter with a Jpeg... you need to draw up all silver parts in a vector format and then cut it

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Now we have our image on the glass we need to make it more like a backglass,

Excess is trimmed from the edges with a new scalpel... always use a new one as if its not super sharp it will drag and your cut will be wobbly.

A layer of translucent needs to go over the back just like the original screened type. If you cant get translucent, then basic white will do, just make sure it has clear glue on the back as this stuff is also  a translucent vinyl
You need to cut your translucent oversize.

Same process as before.. wet the area, wet the translucent and apply squeedgying out the water.

Extra is trimmed with a scalpel..

Flip the glass over and we are starting to resemble a backglass

Next step is the blockout parts ( non illuminated) and the hidden text.

Offline femto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Toowoomba, Qld
  • Go ahead....push my buttons!
I was wondering what you were doing with new backglasses and was considering asking but now I don't have to. Thanks muchly.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
thanks gavin,i am following your progress and finding this very informative.great work.keep it up,mate.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
thanks gavin,i am following your progress and finding this very informative.great work.keep it up,mate.

Have the hidden text etc on the back to do yet.. might not be for a couple of days as im doing a couple of glasses at once and so ran out of time today... the whole process from start to finish will be posted... glad your enjoying it and finding it useful...

Gav