Author Topic: Making a backglass - Reverse print method Pt#1&2  (Read 4699 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Thanks for the great insight into this process Gav  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Thanks for posting Gavin.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Very interesting Gav  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
PART 2 - reverse hidden text.

At this point its pretty much a necessity to have a vinyl plotter or at least access to one.. if you can supply a file then most sign companies will cut the text for you for a bit of cash.

The hidden text is cut in reverse in stencil mask.. these are then applied to the back of the glass. Zaccaria games dont have a lot of blockout on them and so i only cut what i needed to.

Once in place standard silver enamel from a spray can is applied

Let this dry completely and using a scalpel, the mask can be removed. At this point i regretted not cutting a full strip of stencil to go along the bottom as the masking tape lead to some slight bleeding.. not overly disastrous.. more bloody irritating!

At this stage on a normal backglass you really only have to remove the score windows... Zaccaria glasses are different and so a lot more is cut away. All this is done over a lightbox so i can see exactly what im doing. The light bulbs are interesting to cut! ^&^

Once all the image is cut i can remove the centre piece thats not required.. i cut this down the middle to make it 2 smaller sections.. try to do it all at once and you risk cocking it up.

Centre piece now removed..

Flip the glass over on the lightbox and you can see all hidden text and get a good idea of how she looks

And now with backlight off, we get to see the normal glass

And she's all done!.. Now i can put the glass trim on and fit to the machine. I forgot i havent yet made the neon for this, but once its done ill post a final pic

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
 You make it l look so easy Gav...  Knowing me I'll never find out coz I'm to slack

Offline Redback

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Excellent work,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
I've been eagerly waiting for part 2 of this thread.. well worth the wait  @@* @@*

Bloody awesome job dude  ^^^ ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great job mate  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Top shelf work.  Amazing.

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Great work there Retropin!
I experimented with a method for a BG repair last year and it worked a treat. http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6842.msg91095#msg91095
I failed to do a double strike print which you did, this is a good tip to enhance the colours once the translucent backing is applied. In my case I used a white adhesive vinyl, and have been experimenting with a spray of white paint behind the printed clear vinyl artwork.
For the blockout areas I have thought of using a white vinyl with a black print as a backing behind the graphics, all translucent areas could then be plotter cut and light would pass through the printed vinyl in these cut outs.
Long term I'm not sure whether the heat from the BG bulbs would effect or melt the vinyl, so the best solution would be to use leds.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:27:52 AM by oldpins »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Outstanding Gav !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Brilliant gav! Awesome work!  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Top work Gav
Are you doing your artwork repair with photoshop after scanning.
I am in the process of scanning (A4 scanner  &^&) a Oh Boy backglass - Very labour intense.
Would like to get hold of complete scans of old backglasses to photoshop if any one has some (Note: NOT to sell but have available for other members.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Great work there Retropin!
I experimented with a method for a BG repair last year and it worked a treat. http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6842.msg91095#msg91095
I failed to do a double strike print which you did, this is a good tip to enhance the colours once the translucent backing is applied. In my case I used a white adhesive vinyl, and have been experimenting with a spray of white paint behind the printed clear vinyl artwork.
For the blockout areas I have thought of using a white vinyl with a black print as a backing behind the graphics, all translucent areas could then be plotter cut and light would pass through the printed vinyl in these cut outs.
Long term I'm not sure whether the heat from the BG bulbs would effect or melt the vinyl, so the best solution would be to use leds.

Very hard to get a nice even effect if back spraying.. the translucent is much easier to do.
If you wanted to go with an all vinyl solution, the you only really need to make the blockout for the back using a plotter. I spray the mask as it gives a more authentic looking backglass.. normally i put a spray of clear over this also but didnt do that on the Zaccaria glass as so little is blocked out.
The bulbs shouldnt affect it... vinyl is 10 year full sun, so unless you are using much cheaper banner vinyl i dont see any issues arising

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Top work Gav
Are you doing your artwork repair with photoshop after scanning.
I am in the process of scanning (A4 scanner  &^&) a Oh Boy backglass - Very labour intense.
Would like to get hold of complete scans of old backglasses to photoshop if any one has some (Note: NOT to sell but have available for other members.

With this glass i didnt.. just lifted the artwork off the web.. its a high res photo and so all straight lines have a curve to them due to the camera lense. Most glasses i do correct using PS.. it is a long job and most people dont realise just how much goes into making up a glass from scratch... theres a lot of work to be done!
The guy who wants the Bally Hi DEAL glass came round to day and saw the couple of glasses im making.. reckons that if his glass came out anywhere near that good, he would be very happy indeed.
PM me some glasses that you are after.. i might have some here already, ive been making files for a some time now.

OH BOY..... just bought a very nice example of this game.. dont have it just yet.. love that playfield!!!