Author Topic: Customs info on Pinball Imports  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Customs info on Pinball Imports
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:02:10 AM »
What happens if the entire container has BNIB pins and none are fitted with coin mechs etc.
Do they/don't they charge customs etc.
I have imported stuff without coin mechs and it's been too long to look at/find the paperwork or remember the breakdowns.

The intended use for an amusement machine is create income. All pinballs are "Coin Operated". They can have ticket validators / dispensors or be set to "free play" - it makes absolutely no difference to customs.

If the container is full of NIB pinballs without coin acceptors, it will make no difference. If the machines don't have doors to mount the acceptors then the games would be deemed "spare parts" - but their intended use IS/WAS to create income via a coin acceptor - so therefore the tariff applies. Between my father and I, we have imported 100's of games, and NEVER paid Duty (in accordance with the regulations at the time) as the tariff applied in all cases. In fact, in the 70's, machines were shipped to Australia with USA coin acceptors, or NONE.

Ironically, my Father was the person who told me about the tariff - so it has been around for a long time.

If ANY importer of ANY pinball is claiming they pay Duty, then they are one of two things;

1 - A liar
2 - Are in need of a Freight forwarder / customs agent that knows what a tariff is

So the next time ANYONE mentions "we had to pay customs, GST and DUTY" - - Then immediately deduct 10% from the asking price as they are either lying, or should pay for the duty due to their incompetence.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia