Author Topic: Backglass sizes???HELP...  (Read 1237 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Backglass sizes???HELP...
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
Be handy if someone with a Flash is able to chip in with their glass' dimensions. The things should be fit for the purpose it was sold, and of merchantable quality, and it won't be if it does not fit (no pun intended) into the thing it was sold to fit into. A one-off manufacturing issue seems pretty odd, although I suppose their glass supplier might have slipped an odd sized one in by error. I'd certainly be returning it for a full refund.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:05:04 PM »
Im sure All williams of that era are the same size my gorgar had a flash backglass in it when i first went to look at it and i kept my fire power in and empty flash backbox for a while aswell

Offline Rod71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
Is there 7mm of glass without any art on it?. Or does the art cover the whole glass?.

Very odd. Hope it all works out man. I was so psyched to see it all come together.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
Yeah the image seems the right size...but in the wrong poss from the bottom up and yeah too much clear glass on the bottom....looks like they screened it setting up from the top of the glass...may have not noticed that it was too long..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:32 AM »
My FLASH bg is 723 x 647 on 4.5mm glass.

Sounds like it was printed onto wrong size glass, but the registration should all be correct from one corner.

Take the glass to a leadlight shop - theyll nibble the edges off for you. 9/10 it works out way cheaper than a glazier.

My guess is that this was a "test" run of prints - the size of glass is unimportant as they are never really intended for sale... what is important is that all registrations line up for each layer of print.

What you have there is  a seconds glass, should have been sold as such though

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »
leadlight shop???I thought you couldnt cut the backglass??Isnt it tempered like the playfield glass???

Anyway Ive sent Wayne a message through Ebay...see what he says..Ive never had trouble with anything that ive bought from him before...so see what happens...If its the wrong size surely he can go back to whoever he got it from for a refund...I didnt pick it before i tried to install it so there is no way wayne would pick it up just looking at it...hard to tell until you lay them side by side...will take a pic tomorrow and show the difference..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Marty Machine

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 12:51:06 AM »
Is re-sizing the headbox an impossability to make the glass fit?

just a  thought if it all goes sour and no refunds etc....

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Yep...I just got this from CPR....

Hello Paul,

Yes, The Pinball Factory's FLASH backglasses are ours. 

They aren't seconds.  Every single one in the run is 5 to 6 mm too tall.  This was my error in production.  I intentionally had the glass height expanded a little bit when the blank glasses were cut at the glass factory.  My "brilliant" idea was that adding that little bit of clearspace at the bottom allowed my press to print the image with a clean edge to start the ink, meaning it wouldn't blob or serrate the screens at the edge of the glass (I have cut/popped screens before on the edge of glass when printing and ruined $500 screens before).  So Flash was a new experiment in adding a little height to the glass in lieu of having a "start point" for the ink.  Backglasses are printed from the bottom edge to the top edge, by the way.  That is why.

But later it was found out that about 1 in 4 Flash owners had trouble getting it into their backbox.  That little bit of extra height was just a hair too much for some of the Flash backboxes.  The glass couldn't "rise" into the upper channel high enough to give clearance at the bottom so it can go "up and over" the lower channel and drop down.  There were over 10,000 Flash machines made, and some of the backboxes don't have the upper channel cut deep as others, or sometimes the aging backboxes have shrunk or sagged a little bit.  Either way, the small height extention I did on these glasses can, even that slight, can make the difference you are experiencing.

There are two solutions that all customers who experienced this have successfully done in the past:

1) the upper channel in the backbox can be dug a little deeper, so the glass can "rise" higher.  A router or Dremel tool does the trick.  Takes about 10-15 minutes. 

2) or, the lower wooden bar that the glass goes "up and over" is shaved down (with a plane, sander, etc) by 2 to 3 mm...then repainted.  Then the glass will clear it, and drop down.

Some guys did a combination of both.   In the end, we had no returns of the glass.  Everybody got them in their machine, as they wanted.  They really didn't want to send them back, and were courageous and worked out a solution (they didn't want to put their old flaking glass back of course).  So none of them gave up on the repro.

All future glasses have not be height-expanded, as I learned my lesson.  If I end up slicing my screens, so be it.  It will have to be my problem.

If you have any other questions, let me know.  I have copied-in the Pinball Factory on this response.

Thanks.
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
If that f*cking pr*ck doesn't offer you a full refund I would be plastering all the forums and RGP especially with this news.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 08:19:33 AM »
Well I wouldnt say its Wayne's fault...as I say you cant pick the problem buy looking at it and CPR say it happens in 1 of 4 backglasses....I will look into making the channel deeper...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »
What an arrogant turd! They really didn't want to send them back, and were courageous and worked out a solution (they didn't want to put their old flaking glass back of course).  So none of them gave up on the repro.

He stuffs-up and puts in back on the customer to remedy it, and makes it sound like you have a duty to.
 !!@

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
could have at least been told before I bought it....still i will see how much of a job it is to fix it up..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »
Wayne gets these as part of a royalty, he prob wouldnt know that they were incorrect. Still he may like to know his royalty was included faulty repro BGs.
Paul where you gunna take out the wood........top or bottom, or both?

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
Well I wouldnt say its Wayne's fault...as I say you cant pick the problem buy looking at it and CPR say it happens in 1 of 4 backglasses....I will look into making the channel deeper...

Surely Wayne would have known about this by now - hasn't this repro been around for a while? In which case it should be mentioned in the eBay ad that you may need to modify your backbox to fit the backglass. I guess the benefit of the doubt rule applies up until now, but any future auctions of these should definitely include that information.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »
I gotta agree with extra Ball's comments on this..... its not your fault the BG is the wrong size. If 1/4 dont fit then 1/4 backboxes are a different size?? Mmmmmm - not sure about this.

Trimming the wood and then repainting... what if your Flash is in TOP nick - last thing youd want to do is trim and paint anything.
Well, it looks like the remedy has been shoved right in your court, but in all honesty.. this isnt a $300 BG.. it IS in fact a 2nd because it is not fit for purpose and should have been sold as such