Author Topic: Backglass sizes???HELP...  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Re: Backglass sizes???HELP...
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
all to true...but if I can fix it up I will..less stuffing around ...will look at making the top channel deeper...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »
CPR should of nominated this information on their web site  *%*

Question is should they have still charged for first quality when obviously there was a production error?

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....................
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »

... were courageous and worked out a solution...

OK, what a great marketing effort that reply was. I suspect it has been used quite a few times! Admit to the error earlier, show they are fallible, then explain that the "courageous" customers managed to make it work, implying you will be a failure by being the only person to return the glass. Brilliant!

But really, we've probably all overcome worse to get our games right, and once the mods are done it won't be an issue, so all in all it's easy to see why "all" (if that's true) have persevered.

But they had an error in production, and somehow this information has not made it to RGP, where all these things seem to get thrashed out. Very surprising given it effects every glass, and most games they are attempting to be fit to.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »

I did a search last night on RGP and no one else has reported the issue. I've been a fan of CPR's product, and I can see they have tried to make an improvement on an original that does not fit all Flash machines.

Paul - The ball is is your court - You have every right to return it to your place of purchase, or modify your machine.

I'm struggling to see how this can be sold a a genuine replacement as it is obviously not.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
If you start shaving wood on the backbox, i'd be concerned with the displays lining up correctly even if you get it to slide in.

Marty Machine

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
I'd go for routing out the top channel as preference, if you rout too deep and screw up, you won't see it, and the glass will have room to move up into.
Filing the bottom part and screwing up, means you will see that mistake everytime you play the machine.

I'd (probably) pay $300 for the REAL DEAL, and $50 for repro.
Why some people still insist on charging 'REAL DEAL' prices on repro items is beyond me. greed greed greed.
Take a look at repro cabinet decals and translites, what a joke !!

I still think advertising the size of the glass may have helped, obviously they know to make the sale 1st, then put it back on the customer to fix it up themselves.
If they stated the sizes, i don't think they'd make many sales.....

MM.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »
Paul I suggest you do take from the top, and if it the score windows dont line-up then send it back. You can allways trim-up a thin piece of wood to slot in and replace what you took out. Its bullshit that you have to do any of this of course.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
i thought the "extra" glass was on the bottom so it would make more sense to take the wood out of the bottom so the clear part slides into the new cavity. But i do agree that you shouldnt have to do that if you were notified that this was a possibility.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
Ok well I will measure it all up with the score displays and workout where I need to go...at the moment you would need to take some out of the top channel as you cant lift the glass in or up enough to get the bottom of the glass over the bottom edge to sit in the channel...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
FORGET IT....just had a go with a grinder ect to carve out the channel in the backbox...No way thats going to work...trying to get it even all the way along...and the prints dont line up from the bottom...so I would need to take 5mm or so out of the bottom channel to get the score displays to line up...and then take more out of the top channel to be able to lift it in...I will just stuff my backbox....
Will go and take some pics right now...brb..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
If you place the new glass on top of the old glass and line up the score windows that will show you exactly how much you need to shave out, the glass will be longer on the top edge or the bottom edge.

the most important thing is to get the score windows in the correct spot.

Ian

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
This shit just upsets me!!!! you paid good money for you to have to get a grinder out  ^.^.... To be more constructive,  what about a router  with a straight bit to cut the majority of the channel?? we could whip up a jig and cut straight across  !@#

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »
FORGET IT....just had a go with a grinder ect to carve out the channel in the backbox...No way thats going to work...trying to get it even all the way along...and the prints dont line up from the bottom...so I would need to take 5mm or so out of the bottom channel to get the score displays to line up...and then take more out of the top channel to be able to lift it in...I will just stuff my backbox....
Will go and take some pics right now...brb..lol

Router would be the only way to go, but will still be difficult.

Ian

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
Mate - to do it properly you would need to remove the backbox - and router that existing channel out further - then for the ends where toe router wont get to you would need to manually dremel those last sections out - Then possibly move / re-adjust all the score displays.........what a massive task for something you paid GOOD money for and is just meant to 'drop in' ........did someone say REFUND  #@#
DW Drums rule !