Author Topic: 2013 Pinball Show - where would the best place be  (Read 1696 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I think , for reasons I will never understand , that there are too many egos in this hobby so dealers and forums would need to be left out of any expo .

I also think 'expo' is probably the wrong name to call it.

I am amazed that in the states , UK (and who knows where else) these pinball shows and yet it never happens here (ok once ) .

Great idea to tag onto something like Comicon as it would be a great fit .
Unfortunately I have no idea how these things are organised , nor how it would work .

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I sure hope a Pinball Show eventuates soon .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
DESIRE  PASSION  MONEY   to share the great hobby of Pinball.   and apx 50 to 80 pinball machines to take along wouldnt hurt either.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Should the 3 (  or 2 ) threads currently running on this topic be somehow combined  !@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I agree as I was trying to be specific hence voting. My mistake for three threads. I will message the guys.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Three topics merged as requested - might be a little hard to make sense of, but there are three things being discussed - where to have one, what's it take to organise, and what could it be combined with.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I know that the expo that did happen wasnt cheap... venue was expensive, insurance was also right up there and then there was some $20,000 spent on advertising it... radio, posters etc.

In all honesty, i think making anything like this happen in Aus is fraught with hurdles due to the amount of red tape that we have to wade through to do anything... if you got each visitor to sign a personal waiver before entering it could simplify things but personal liability, fire, electrical test and tag make it all a bit of a mine field. from memory, the power supply at the 09 venue wasnt big enough... all these things cost $$$'s

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
I know that the expo that did happen wasnt cheap... venue was expensive, insurance was also right up there and then there was some $20,000 spent on advertising it... radio, posters etc.

In all honesty, i think making anything like this happen in Aus is fraught with hurdles due to the amount of red tape that we have to wade through to do anything... if you got each visitor to sign a personal waiver before entering it could simplify things but personal liability, fire, electrical test and tag make it all a bit of a mine field. from memory, the power supply at the 09 venue wasnt big enough... all these things cost $$$'s

And THATS a massive part of why I was initially thinking it would be worth investigating 'hooking onto' a show like Comic Con ( or similar ) - THEY would have 90% of all the red tape well and truly covered and ( I imagine ) give you guidelines to 'run your section' by ( I am GUESSING this  !@# )

THEY have to have the insurances, hall hire, advertising, ticketing etc ALL done anyway - pinball just 'becomes' a part of it.
I think they also have those shows in massive mainstream event centres where power would not even be an issue as well  *!@

DW Drums rule !

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
Wotto for President!
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: 2013 Pinball Show - should it be combined with:
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »

For the AA v AP thing to be non existant, the mods from both AP and AA need to get along really really well, and to my knowledge, they wont even talk. If things were to change, it would be good for all peoples to attend a pinball expo type event. Maybe the competition of having a AA desk and a AP desk at the last expo was a good idea, but ultimately, it may have caused more competition, which is probably not a great idea given the history ?

Funny, I don't remember seeing an AA desk at the last Expo? I can assure you there was an AP desk.

Members from both forums supported the last Expo with their attendance. I only had one person display any animosity (and maybe that is too strong a word) to AP. All the other AA people were great. Pinball was the winner...

Offline TheKorn2

• Forum Posts:
  • Chicago
Still on the pinball show subject to get better numbers should the show be combined with other shows to get better exposure and better numbers?

I think it'd be a good idea to either combine with another show or have a focus more than 'just pinball'.  Of the three shows that I attend every year (chi pinball expo, midwest gaming classic, pinball at the zoo), MGC has the most foot traffic by far, followed by expo.

The problem is that if you have too focused of a show, you'll only attract the zealots.  Zealots are all good and well, but for every zealot of X there are ten guys who like X AND Y, and if a show hits both focuses then he's more than twice as likely to attend. 

Also, if possible try and include / invent some kid-focused activities.  That way parents can tempt/bribe their kids into going who would otherwise be indifferent...  "Hey Jimmy, I know you don't care about pinball, but Mario, Luigi, AND Charizard will be there!"  In other words, if you turn it around from 'drag my kids with' to 'keeping my kids on a leash so they don't beat me there', you'll get a much higher buy-in from those with kids.

Having never organised a show nor been to one for that matter, what does it take to organise show?

First thing is to find a venue.  Obviously if you're hooking up with another show then you're all set, but if you're striking out on your own then I'd say look further afield than just hotels and convention centers.  Your show is going to be small the first year (or first few years), so you need to 'live small'.  In other words, keep a strong eye on expenses so you don't go broke.  The example I like to use is the ohio pinball show -- it takes place inside an abandoned supermarket.  And thinking about it, that makes a TON of sense -- they already have gobs of power running all over the place for the refrigerators and such, plus it's typically a very large undivided space.  And since it's currently unused, renting the place out for a month doesn't cost a whole lot.

The downside is that you then have to double-down on driving traffic to the show, since random foot traffic is almost nonexistent.  But you were planning on blitzing the local media anyway, right?  RIGHT?   &&  Yes it won't be glamorous, but with any luck you'll have enough to 'roll over' into the next year's show.  (Honestly, you won't have much, and forget entirely about donating what's left over to charity -- you'll make more of your time just volunteering to paint houses!)

Finally (and possibly the biggest thing, in my opinion) is having it be a team effort and never forgetting that without everyone pulling their weight, the show doesn't happen.  Yes you always need a guy (or three) to be the head guy and spur things along.  But there is also a TON of grunt work involved packing, moving, setting up, maintaining, then breaking down and moving machines again. 

For example, pinball expo 2001 was a turning point in that show.  That was a year after WMS shut down, and the show SUCKED OUT LOUD.  Hardly any games on the show floor, and it was obvious to many that if the local collectors didn't step up that the show would die (and sooner rather than later).  That was when a lot of local collectors (myself included) started regularly bringing their machines to expo.  Either be part of the solution or it'll go away, and I certainly didn't want pinball expo to die!  So breaking down a few machines once a year and transporting them across town seems like relatively small potatoes to make sure that the show keeps going.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Thanks for your insight TheKorn2, much appreciated.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Threads merged and tidied up. Please keep the discussion on topic.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: 2013 Pinball Show - should it be combined with:
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »

For the AA v AP thing to be non existant, the mods from both AP and AA need to get along really really well, and to my knowledge, they wont even talk. If things were to change, it would be good for all peoples to attend a pinball expo type event. Maybe the competition of having a AA desk and a AP desk at the last expo was a good idea, but ultimately, it may have caused more competition, which is probably not a great idea given the history ?

Funny, I don't remember seeing an AA desk at the last Expo? I can assure you there was an AP desk.

Members from both forums supported the last Expo with their attendance. I only had one person display any animosity (and maybe that is too strong a word) to AP. All the other AA people were great. Pinball was the winner...

I can assure you that both forums were invited to have a stall for expo 09... only AP accepted. On the other hand certain people from AA planned to sell pins outside the venue in an attempt to sabotage it because for one reason or another, they didnt want it to happen.....roll on a year and AP are not invited but only AA were to have a stall mainly due to the agenda of one certain person.. this is not malicious talk on my behalf but is fact.
This is why any pinball show would only be successful if the organisers were impartial to both forums as suggested earlier.
I know... its all VERY silly.. but it is what it is

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
I think it's important that a clear scope is out lined in order to move forward. For example what are we looking to get out of having an expo? Is the expo just for new machines or do we want old machines as well? Are these then for sale? Will there be a comp?
Also how is this to be financed? Are commercial pinball suppliers invited to take part? Can it happen with out there investment.
 Of course opportunitys need to be explored and comic con has potential to be a great fit so great job Watto getting the ball rolling on that one .

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
I would envisage collectors bringing machines as the bulk of what is on show, and inviting local pinball businesses to participate as well.