Author Topic: Is John Popadiuk really working on Thunderbirds Pinball?  (Read 18154 times)

Offline Toads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
Sheeeees guys, four pages based on a rumour that a so called professional journalist is Making just to make himself look good.
I thought you were better Paul,  not facts, just bad journalism.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Sheeeees guys, four pages based on a rumour that a so called professional journalist is Making just to make himself look good.
I thought you were better Paul,  not facts, just bad journalism.

Rumour + Deduction??

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
If Mike won't hand out facts , then speculation will run

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Personally I think the whole who the designer may or may not be was a deliberate bread and circuses diversion from the real issue of visible progress discussed earlier.

But it keeps the forum entertaining at least.

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I rarely comment on issues that I am not directly involved with but from the perspective of a potential purchaser, I have been disappointed by the lack of any credible updates over time and shocked at the attacks, especially on other forums,  some people have suffered for daring to ask about progress or lack thereof, of this once anticipated machine. Maybe I am completely wrong but it seems to me that the business is about mass producing lowboy, tabletop cabinets and a few parts etc that permeate the Chinese market anyway?

It would be nice for some clarity to be brought to this issue of how things are going but looking at past responses, I don't anticipate hearing anything substantive anytime soon!

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
I agree the lack of updates for people who have prepurchased (me included) is not ideal, and i would probably do it differently - however i bought in knowing that Mike has a unique way of doing things, and with the thought in the back of my mind that it might take longer than originally intended - particularly after seeing what happened with WoZ.

I met up with Mike a few weeks back when he was back home, i certainly got no secret info - i didn't ask who the designer was, and am pretty sure he would not have told me if i had.  One thing is that he told us all well before the JPOP fiasco, that he had a 'well known' designer on board - so i think it is prob unfair to label Homepin with JPOP, particularly if the playfield design was partially done well before the fiasco.  Guilt by association is a tricky thing, and agree everyone will have their stance on it.  Mike did tell me about the financial issues associated with Karen's passing and estate, and how this delayed things, however i did not feel it was my part to divulge this information to the public via forums - it was told to me as a friend, hence no public airing from me.

Anyway, the designer is all purely speculation, however to answer the question previously posed about would those with money in it feel if JPOP is the designer - the fact that the major designer (if it is JPOP) was secured before the other antics, does not make TAG any different to me. That does not mean i have no empathy for those who suffered from JPOP, but i can't see how him designing the machine before his name turned to mud makes the machine any better or worse. Some of his other previously designed titles are pretty good. Again - all pure speculation at this stage.

Mike also told me he personally the other week he has very little involvement with the construction and factory running of the arcade side of things - another bloke is in charge of that. So the assumptions that he is focussing on the arcade side at the expense of Thunderbirds is incorrect.

I also agree that the parts like pop bumpers etc are pretty close to DE - however at the end of the day there is not too much of the design to change - and making them from scratch was necessary due to the cost of importing into China, maybe unless someone did something with magnets like GB slings?

One thing i reckon is that as Aussies, we should be supporting a local guy having a go.  To me, this has to be one of the more epic undertakings in recent pinball history in Australia.  There have been some pretty good achievements I am aware of that promote pinball and the aussie ingenuity and spirit down under such as old mate making the sunset riders machines, a guy in Newcastle making some custom machines shown at Pinfest, NPA putting on Pinfest over subsequent years, 3 guys putting on Pinball Expo in 2014, Jady starting designing his custom machine, Rod doing a ripper Pinheadz podcast. But to my knowledge, when (and i understand some people might think it is a big IF) it comes off I reckon its pretty awesome that one of our fellas it hooking in and giving it a go of something this scale.  That said, i do understand that Mike has made some big statements (some unpopular), so that is his issue to deal with.

Anyway, all people are entitled to their opinion, but because i know Mike personally, and the fact that he is pretty pig headed, means i personally have complete confidence that he will deliver a solid product and was happy to drop money on it.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Robm, my issue is more the time it is taking
It has been two and a half years
How much longer? Three months? Six months? A year?

It is great that you know him, but the rest of us dont

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2016, 03:18:15 PM »
Agree. Time has been too long for most people.

Someone (paul?) Just posted on pinside that him, dennis nordman and jpop are not involved in the design of Thunderbirds. Someone who knows designers far better than me might chip in who Paul is?

The only other one i wondered about was Mark Ritchie - would he be involved?

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
That's Paul Reno and I read that as that he and Dennis Nordman (who are currently working together on their own project) are distancing themselves not only from TAG but also John Pop.

"I can 100% confirm neither Dennis or I are in anyway involved with this project, or John Popadiuk."

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:25:27 PM by pinsanity »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re:
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
Agree. Time has been too long for most people.

The only other one i wondered about was Mark Ritchie - would he be involved?

No *that* would be a very good thing! Love Mark's designs.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I first thought it could have been Python, one last game

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I was hoping Brian Eddy!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Why did HUMEPIN even bother doing the interview if he knew it would lead to this sort of speculation and bashing.  !@#

Opportunity arouse for some good press and look what happened  *.* he blew it again. C'mon Mike wake up will you?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Why did HUMEPIN even bother doing the interview if he knew it would lead to this sort of speculation and bashing.  !@#

Opportunity arouse for some good press and look what happened  *.* he blew it again. C'mon Mike wake up will you?

he has, quite the response over at AA

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:

he has, quite the response over at AA

Surprised the banana republicans over there even permitted discussion of it. They usually publicly pillory anyone who dares to question one of their own and then lock the thread as a warning message.

I can't read it, but is it genuine discussion (i.e. both sides being permitted to give their point of view) of the issue happening over there or just the usual sycophantic circle jerking when one of the purple circle discovers that Queensland is not the centre of the pinball universe?