Author Topic: Copyright Queries  (Read 3777 times)

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Re: Copyright Queries
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
There's been discussion from time to time that restoring your own game is OK, but I haven't researched the truth of this claim - might have to do that. Fixing your own game does not cross into the commercial area so the criminal issues of piracy are not of concern. And as for a private action, seems it would be a bit pointless and stupid taking action against a private owner of a pinball machine using artwork to restore the thing (although you never know, owning a right does not equate with being bright).

Yep, and we all know who the last bit would be referring to...  !!@
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »

I think there is a Law that gives the owner of a machine "the right to restore", or something like that. You can produce for your own game.

Years ago I ordered a set of Pro Football "flipper bat" decals. PBR had run out of them - "Out if Stock- Sorry" ! So I asked WHEN the next "run" was scheduled. The response was "When there is enough interest" - So I asked if I could make my own set - and I was given permission to produce my own set of decals for my own machine - No problems at all.

I also asked if PBR had the original plans of the Pro Football cabinet - dimension etc.. They didn't. I was asked why, and I told Steve that I needed to scratch build a base. He told me I could produce the entire cabinet, but the moment I made a surplus cabinet tom my needs - He wanted to know.

Well I tried getting cab art for PZ off W.G. - no interest and too hard to make as it's fluro...

Should I ask him if I can go and get my own made?  #@#
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Marty Machine

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
Interesting stuff Nino....ahhh, copyright, it just gets thicker and darker hehehe

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:03 PM »
I re-iterate, Lot to be said for quietly getting on with your business. Don't make a fuss!

Ask too many questions these days and you will be sure to find at least 1 pollically correct "do gooder" who will stop you from doing almost everything. Including having fun at no ones's expense!

It's called justifying their existence and unfortunately it's a growing business!

Quietly ...shusshh...
Quietly ...shusshh...

Just get on with life and enjoy your privacy. Why make a fuss if you do not need to!!!

The air time provides those who think they could, (but have not for whatever reason), the ability to grab the microphone and we should avoid that.

Let's get on with life and enjoy what we have until someone stops it and let's not give them any more horespower than our existing taxpayer funded systems already do to feed them.

J.D.

There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Marty Machine

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2009, 12:05:17 AM »
The crap that JD is talking about stopped several pages ago......we're past all that.

The recent posts have been maturely discussing some copyright issues & angles, and has nothing to do with the negative tone of your response...

I'm sure we all understand "keep it to yourself, hush hush, get on with fun"

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2009, 12:06:31 AM »
Good!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37:49 AM »
J D is entitled to his opinion.  I didnt think it was crap.  ^^^  

What i have found interesting about any of the decals/copyrights posts is just how easy a batch of blokes can become so easily divided, over whether someone can or cant do something, or whether someone should or shouldnt do something.
Decals was just the "product" for discussion,so to speak. The members did the rest.

What i have found most amazing, is just how little research has been done by so many who have been in this hobby/industry for so long.
In ten years, not one person has thought about reproducing something for themselves or their mates, for the pinball industry/hobbyists.
Not one person sought expert advice from a copyright expert.
But, i gotta say, after hearing what i have heard, and seeing what i have seen, its seems most are interested in what cant, or what shouldnt be done, as opposed to what can be done, and what should be done. No wonder the industry has been stagnant in these areas til people like Mark stepped up in recent times.

Most people, would have given up on any new ideas by now.The mounting wave of "copyright this" and "copyright that" seems to me to be a real easy escape clause for those who dont want to see others succeed. 9 out of 10 people will always find a reason for failure.Only 1 outta  10 will keep going and not accept defeat.

This copyright/decal issue,in the end, was alot more about how members treat other members, when people disagree,and alot less about decals/copyright than first comes to mind. From an outside point of view, i reckon anyone would probably say "they dont want change bad enough, let em have what they have got, they dont want it bad enough yet". (change)

As soon as i finish this post, someone will say something negative, and ofcourse disagree. Wait for those 9 negative posts. Then , if we are lucky enough, we might get the one positive post. Seeing JD get put down for offering his opinion, thats the "easy division" i am talking about. There doesnt seem to be as much give n take as i thought this forum originally had, or requires ?  !@# !@#   
Anyways, bring on the 9 outta 10. lol  ^^^
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:17:13 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Marty Machine

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »
well, he was talking about something several pages ago....we're all over it !

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2009, 06:43:35 AM »
Caveman,it must be a pinball thing,half the member's on here own a multi board 48in1 or run mame with space invaders art stuck on the side of there generic cab's and no one say's anything! All these games and art is copyrighted????? Yes any multi board is a pirated version of the games that are on them,
So all the people that feel so strongly about this thread sell your cabs or put in a genuine game board back in and scrape off that art you downloaded off the net, yer right! lol  <.>

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
No-one is chasing you with a big stick on the arcade side of things...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
As soon as i finish this post, someone will say something negative, and ofcourse disagree. Wait for those 9 negative posts. Then , if we are lucky enough, we might get the one positive post. Seeing JD get put down for offering his opinion, thats the "easy division" i am talking about. There doesnt seem to be as much give n take as i thought this forum originally had, or requires ?  !@# !@#  
Anyways, bring on the 9 outta 10. lol  ^^^

I think you might not have enough experience with debate among people who each respect each others opinion (although might disagree). In an imperfect world where we are all capable of greatness and error, debate allows people to think through their points of view while being tested by others. It's debate that usually results in finding the best outcome when the answers are uncertain. That's all this thread turned out to be - a group debating. Unfortunately there's always the possibility of personalities coming through and the debate becoming personal, it happens, and we HTFU and deal with it.

Don't mistake caution with negativity - there are always going to be people who know a little more about an area, and accept their comments as part of gaining the knowledge that any successful enterprise needs. Every consistently successful person I know (not the one off made it good by being in the right business at the right time) knows the benefit of gaining knowledge from every available area before embarking on a venture - that's why they are consistently successful.

And to suggest that disagreeing is negative - that's a little conceited, isn't it?

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
Hey cave, I think you'll find this forum is very liberal in the type of discussion we promote here. pinnies4me is spot on, don't mistake caution with negativity. Just because someone disagrees with your way of thinking doesn't mean you can't stick with your way of thinking. What you might mistake as negativity might be others trying to highlight some of the pitfalls you might be facing in your endeavours. If you wish to dive head first into your "decal project" without covering all bases then who are we to stop you? I mean really, what do you care what we say anyway as you've made it quite clear that you know best and we are all just nay sayers? I wish you the best of luck in your travels but please don't insult our intelligence any further with your negativity diatribe.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
Creech, u couldnt get any more incorrect my friend, perhaps you missed the part where i said i felt it was negative when a member like JD gets told he is full of crap for voicing his opinion.
Then u come on here and tell me i am full of diatribe etc. Thats the exact garbage talk i am mentioning. Why do u feel the need to insult people.?

When i type a post, i pretend i am in the room with the person i am talking to. That way, i dont insult him/her.
Where i come from, u would want to be brave to tell someone face to face that they are full of crap etc. But these WG tactics of being a keyboard commando seem to have been taken up by a few, including you Creech.

You see, u did exactly what i said would happen, u got on here and started with negative crap, good onya mate.Feel better.This is the part where i turn my back to you, and walk out of the room, cause i think u sound silly.I will stick to the positive stuff. You can stick to insulting people if it makes you feel better.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
Creech, u couldnt get any more incorrect my friend, perhaps you missed the part where i said i felt it was negative when a member like JD gets told he is full of crap for voicing his opinion.
Then u come on here and tell me i am full of diatribe etc. Thats the exact garbage talk i am mentioning. Why do u feel the need to insult people.?

When i type a post, i pretend i am in the room with the person i am talking to. That way, i dont insult him/her.
Where i come from, u would want to be brave to tell someone face to face that they are full of crap etc. But these WG tactics of being a keyboard commando seem to have been taken up by a few, including you Creech.

You see, u did exactly what i said would happen, u got on here and started with negative crap, good onya mate.Feel better.This is the part where i turn my back to you, and walk out of the room, cause i think u sound silly.I will stick to the positive stuff. You can stick to insulting people if it makes you feel better.

I think you need to re read your posts. This thread was informational and and open discussion on the topic of Copyrights. We closed the other thread on your Decal project because it went downhill and became a thread which deteriorated int o a slanging match - Which is the same direction this thread is heading. See a trend here ?

Whatever you want to do - Go for it. Just keep the negative and personal comments off this thread - That goes for anyone else.

Keep to the topic, or it will be closed.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Inappropriate comments removed and thread locked...sheesh...