Author Topic: Customs info on Pinball Imports  (Read 3459 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Customs info on Pinball Imports
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:26 AM »
If you can find a currency Pro at $5500 USA given our 80 cents trading figure compared to the USA $.

5500 adds 1100 with dollar difference is now $6600 Aust

Now add 10 percent gst to Aust is $6600 plus $660 is $7240 Aust

Then add import duties n customs to Australia and u are going to get high 7,s to just under 8 grand Aussie for a BNIB Pro.
Sounds roughly right using some quick calculations in my head.

Negotiate delivery n shaker and u are a happy camper.

So, dealers pay the retail price?

Here's one roughly calculated alternative: Dealer cost US $3,250. Add shipping US $350 = US $3,600. Add customs & GST = US $4,140.  In $Aud terms this is $5,175 into the country.  Sell Price $7,950 (incl. additional GST approx $200). In this one example markup exceeds $2,600 from which the distrib. then needs to deduct local expenses to determine profit.

Those calculations IMO are way off but.
The GST, Customs cost, Airfreight and handling charges (airfreight or sea freight) all need to be exact otherwise it's a wild guess. And the original assumption of what a USA Dealer pays Stern could also be way off.
I have been told exact figures from both an Aust Dealer and a USA Dealer but the whole "how much are they making profit" has been done before and it's always the same and ends up being a total guess fest.

All I can say is, is that I like to ask the current BEST Cash pricing, and then negotiate on coin mechs or delivery or shakers etc.
Other than that, there is no point in worrying about who makes what. Everyone has to eat and every business has to make a healthy profit to survive.

The only true variable in the whole chain is customs duty. Smart businesses minimise this by reducing the cost of the product coming into the country - then they have a deal for royalties etc back to the manufacturer. That's why, if anything, a $3,250 cost to the distributor is too high. The other figures are set from there. The only qn is how much of the price gouge goes to AMD & how much to Stern. As you say only they know that.

No customs duty on coin operated machines. There is a tariff for this exact exemption. New or second hand. If it were applicable, it would be 10-15% maximum. Bottom line - if anyone claims Duty on imports and passes that on to consumers, they are either lying, or have never imported before.

Well that helps a lot. Guitars are 5% new or second hand (assuming over $1k which all Gibsons are) applicable to cost incl shipping (plus 10% GST of course). Thank God pins have something working in their favour price-wise.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.