Author Topic: Bally Gas Display replacement (prototype just for fun)  (Read 2033 times)

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
"Not having a go or anything but I reckon Jim would be a bit ticked with that comment!
If you read his site, he says the only thing he can't get made in the US is the boards because of cost.
Definately made in Alabama AFAIK."

Hahahahahhah - ALL components these days are made in China - like it or not, that is the simple fact of the matter. I looked at the Rottendog and the Pinled ones and I truly don't know how they can make them for the price?

To get anywhere near their prices (for assembled units) I would have to order 5000 units from the factory I use in China and this factory is VERY cheap??? Even at 5000 units I would be paying about AU$35 each ex factory?

My cost price of putting these kits together (buying parts from wholesalers in China) looks to be around the $150~180 so I guess it really isn't worth the excercise?

Yeah youré right pretty much all these components are made in China or thereabouts.

The point I wanted to make was sourcing components from O/Seas is always going to be much cheaper than someone like Jaycar.

I speak with some experience because I worked for many years for an electronics parts importer so I know how much companies like Jaycar pay for components. They do have to buy in lots of 100 or lots of 1000 or even 10,000 for things like resistors though and its an awful lot of $$ they have to tie up.

It doesn't surprise me at all the high cost of putting together the kits. And I would think for it to be worthwhile you would have to make at least $50 or$60 ( 30% ) per set to cover all your time expense and trouble.
The company I worked for ( PM me if you want to know) made electronic kits and they typically would double or triple the cost to arrive at a retail price. And this was necessary to cover labour costs and  initial outlay of parts and money tied up holding stock of 50 or more kits that may or may not be a big seller.

Another way may be to do what Classic Playfields do and get people who are interested in the project to express their interest and maybe pay a deposit for an initial kit run.

You have obviously done a fair bit of work so far and I'd hate to see this die in the ass because we really do need a few more of these home grown cheaper alternatives for our beloved pinball machines.