Author Topic: Gottlieb Pro Football Restore  (Read 10008 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Re: Gottlieb Pro Football Restore
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
Nice work again Nino, man you have patience in bucket loads *%*

I just went and borrowed some sash clamps myself, as I have two cabinets to repair both are coming apart at the front join and are only held together becouse the leg is bolted on, so hope to get to these in the next week or so.

Amazing how good the playfield was under the mylar.  Are you going to replace all the posts, post screws and ball rails?

Keep it up

Cheers
Dean #*#
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »
Hey Nino I noticed the tiles in one of the shots. When are you going to do those, before or after the resto (or maybe never!!) LOL heaps.

I also found it a bit funny seeing the "NO REFUNDS" sign on the apron, bet ya the seller was gonna stick to that by the looks of the condition the machine was in.

But I'm sure if he sees it upon completion, he'll spew at what he could have had, had he looked after it in the first place.

Nice work so far and look forward to seeing the updates
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
Nice work again Nino, man you have patience in bucket loads *%*

I just went and borrowed some sash clamps myself, as I have two cabinets to repair both are coming apart at the front join and are only held together becouse the leg is bolted on, so hope to get to these in the next week or so.

Amazing how good the playfield was under the mylar.  Are you going to replace all the posts, post screws and ball rails?

Keep it up

Cheers
Dean #*#

Everything that I can replace, I will. Posts, rubbers etc.... The plastics are ok - I'm not sure if repros are available.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »
Hey Nino I noticed the tiles in one of the shots. When are you going to do those, before or after the resto (or maybe never!!) LOL heaps.

I also found it a bit funny seeing the "NO REFUNDS" sign on the apron, bet ya the seller was gonna stick to that by the looks of the condition the machine was in.

But I'm sure if he sees it upon completion, he'll spew at what he could have had, had he looked after it in the first place.

Nice work so far and look forward to seeing the updates

Strikes and Spares, Meteor and Skateball are well gone. The Flight 2000, KISS and Spirit of 76 will get done in time.. I'm in no rush, and I don't consider it to be "work"..

You should see my garage now...  #@#

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
I cant believe the condition of the cabinet cant believe it could hold itself upright lol But again great to see an old wreck borught back to life

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

Almost 3 years to the day..  @.@

Finally, I re commenced work on the Pro Football that I started back in 2008. I'm VERY happy that I'm back on to this restore. A month ago, I took the ONLY part of the old cabinet (you might have to start from the beginning of this restore to find out why..), because it has the EXACT original colors that were hidden behind the coin door scratch plate. To my dismay, the original base coat was NOT WHITE. Not even "off white". The Gottlieb ORIGINAL base coat for this game is more of the high gloss cream. I had the color matched by a professional, and it is a perfect match for the original base. So my previous effort on the Jacks Open was not faithful to the original.

Here is the EXACT color on the only piece of the cabinet I saved. Look on the routed section where the red and blue is - not the topcoat which was house paint ;

This morning, the weather was perfect. I had prepared the cabinet by filling and sanding with 180 Grit. Not the cheap crap from bunnings, but the automotive sandpaper. I found that this sandpaper was so good I only needed a small amount. Here is the cabinet, ready for the primer undercoat.

One light coat, and then two heavier coats

Here's a picture of the oldest Pinball Restorer in Australia ! My Dad ! - 89 this year, and we worked together on the repaint. He is passing on all his knowledge "old school" to me on these repaints. We are sanding the cabinet with 800 grit after the third primer coat was finished in preparation for the basecoat.

There's a run on the front panel, and he was not happy  *!@

No problem. It was sanded out  *%*

The basecoat was an automotive acrylic lacquer. The first coat was a thin mist coat, and then two heavier coats applied. It dries VERY quickly. You can touch it after 3-4 minutes. Heres some pictures after I've returned the game home.

(Shadow is from the sun)

All this was done within 3 hours. Most of the time was spent cleaning up !

The game will remain in the garage for a week until the stencils are finished (Hi Gav  <.>). I'm REALLY pleased with the outcome, and hopefully it won't be another 3 years before the next update  (((

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
I think we ALL need a Dad like yours , good stuff  ^^^ Bet you he loves it too !
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
Great Read Nino  ^^^ , awesome that your old man is helping, look forward to more updates.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
I think we ALL need a Dad like yours , good stuff  ^^^ Bet you he loves it too !

He is still very active, so passing time with me doing useful things keeps him happy.  ^^^

Great Read Nino  ^^^ , awesome that your old man is helping, look forward to more updates.

I'll move on to the playfield this week. I'm hoping it comes together quickly now.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »
Well done Nino on having a great relationship with your Dad. It must feel great to be doing the work your dad has taught you. He must feel payed back for his teachings when he sees the resto work you do.

Its good to see the master checking on the other masters work.  The cabinet looks terriffic, well done.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
Good to see your back onto this project Nino and how special to be able to work on it with your Dad.  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »
Three years ........ now that's a serious rest break Nino.  Surely you didn't lose this pin and wondered where it went during those years.  More importantly, I hope you didn't keep your father waiting 3 years - maybe it was him that got this resto thread going again?

Looking like a very healthy cab again, looking forward to the updates (this year, right?).

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Nice Job on the cabinet. Lots of hours but worth it when you see the results. Looking forward to seeing the next update ^^^
One-Ball!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »

Webbing is not an easy thing to do. You cna buy the thicker Krylon "Webbing in a Can", but I don't like the results that much. Pro Football had less webbing and more splatter. Thankfully, it was a little easier than full webbing. I bought a SCA touch up gun for $30 (thanks for the tip Gav  ^^^), and through trial and error, I got it right.

Now I need to re-plate the door hardware. The door skin is too rusted, so I've bought a new one from PBR. The internal mechanisms etc need to be addressed. Out comes the DIY Zinc Plating setup, and after 4 nights of plating, I'm done !

Results are fantastic

Just some smaller pieces need to be finished off, then I will buff and polish the re plated parts.

Playfield next !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

Great results mate!

Have you done a thread on the zinc plating? Interested to see if I can give this a go.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”