Author Topic: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration  (Read 6213 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Re: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
brilliant ^^^ ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
Spinner was missing from this machine ( the correct one). I ordered a repro "blank" from Pinball Resource, and Wotto was kind enough to draw the images from scratch (from photos). Cheers Mate  ^^^

I printed them on my inkjet on to adhesive paper, then applied them to the spinner. finally, I cut a piece of mylar and covered both sides of the spinner.

Nino, where do you source the adhesive paper (Officeworks?), and any particular type of adhesive paper to use?  As Wotto has very kindly produced the artwork for the Surf Champ spinner I will soon be completing, and as I have never printed to adhesive paper before, I want to ensure I finish this right.  I have an inkjet printer at home (HP), but have access to a laser printer at work (more tempted to use this one).  Then of course to be covered with mylar.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
Great work there Nino, looks immaculate  @@* @@*
Not sure where Nino gets his selfadhesive paper,you wont get it from officeworks - I got all mine from here if it helps http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/products.asp?id=127
pinballaustralia.com

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
It depends on what you want to use it for, If you want to print something to add to art then you would print on a clear waterslide. but if you need to print white... you need a UV printer or simply buy some plain Glossy White A4 paper from E-Bay. Officeworks only seem to sell labels, Not sheets
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
Great job, it looks like it has just come out of the factory as a new pin. @@*.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
Spinner was missing from this machine ( the correct one). I ordered a repro "blank" from Pinball Resource, and Wotto was kind enough to draw the images from scratch (from photos). Cheers Mate  ^^^

I printed them on my inkjet on to adhesive paper, then applied them to the spinner. finally, I cut a piece of mylar and covered both sides of the spinner.

Nino, where do you source the adhesive paper (Officeworks?), and any particular type of adhesive paper to use?  As Wotto has very kindly produced the artwork for the Surf Champ spinner I will soon be completing, and as I have never printed to adhesive paper before, I want to ensure I finish this right.  I have an inkjet printer at home (HP), but have access to a laser printer at work (more tempted to use this one).  Then of course to be covered with mylar.

I simply use White Inkjet Labels - Avery J8167. It is one big label - 25 sheets per pack. I only have an inkjet printer. I simply print the label and stick it (self adhesive) on the blank spinner. I then cover both sides with mylar. Works a treat - BUT - I would like to try other methods. Maybe waterslide decals etc ?

I don't think there is a "right way" to do it - I've just done it this way for years.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »

I'm almost done with this restore. The technical issues are sorted out, and I really need to play it for a while just to ensure reliabilty. I want to have the machine working on the coin mechs, but there were a few parts missing so I'll have to scrounge them up from somewhere.

The major update is the installation of new spot target faces and the plastics set - which is repro. The rest is just "eye candy" ;

These are pictures of the apron installed AFTER I clearcoated it using "White Knight clear" from bunnings. It no longer looks like a decal. Thanks for the tip, Gav  ^^^

This is the reparied area post clearcoat and polish. Turned out really well.

The white area that was totally repainted, and the repro spot target riveted on to the switch assy.

Finally, three of my favorite pictures of the playfield ;

Here's Wotto's Decal work (ta mate) - and this is my favorite picture ;

So I'm "play testing" the game at the moment, making sure everything works. I have a NOS set of instruction cards that will finish it off.  I'm going to place a thin strip of mylar on the leading edge of the apron. I do this will all repainted apron to prevent ball wear.

Oh - and it plays like a dream !

$#$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »

I simply use White Inkjet Labels - Avery J8167. It is one big label - 25 sheets per pack. I only have an inkjet printer. I simply print the label and stick it (self adhesive) on the blank spinner. I then cover both sides with mylar. Works a treat - BUT - I would like to try other methods. Maybe waterslide decals etc ?

I don't think there is a "right way" to do it - I've just done it this way for years.

Looking great Nino  ^^^ your spinner decals look the part too!

When i redo spinner art, i print the art onto Clear inkjet label and stick them onto the white repainted spinners (i use Clear label for just about everything, ie spinner art drop target etc). i usually stick them onto the spinner, leaving the decal slightly oversize so as to make it easier to apply (something to hold on to)  :D then trim it right up to the edge with a sharp scalpel blade, then mylar over the top. I havent tried waterslide decal on a spinner yet but i may give it a try on one of my future restores.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
Gee she looks nice... real nice.

Big slap on the back Nino... these last 2 machines youve done have taken you to another level and the results speak for themselves.

That is one tasty playfield!

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:04 AM »
well, after seeing that and spending all that time on the playfield, are you gonna give the cabinet a go?
 @@* well done so far ^^^
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
well, after seeing that and spending all that time on the playfield, are you gonna give the cabinet a go?
 @@* well done so far ^^^

aaah yes... where do you stop?? Dont ask me.. i cant tell you thats why i end up doing total PF repaints

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
 @@* well done so far ^^^

I did think about it for 5 minutes. Reason I'm not going to repaint the cabinet is because the original art is intact and there's not that much damage or fade. I think it has "character" and I will leave it "as is".

Gee she looks nice... real nice.

Big slap on the back Nino... these last 2 machines youve done have taken you to another level and the results speak for themselves.

That is one tasty playfield!

Cheers mate - thanks for the help with the insert masks and your time answering all my questions regarding the Air Brush etc. Certainly opens MANY new doors for me. Actually, I should thank Timbo as well - but I was going to do that after the game is finished.

But you are right - Playfield restoration is a tedious and time consuming job. There are some aspects that you need to plan - such as the weather (when air brushing), playfield preparation and materials. I think I will invest in a proper Air Brush compressor..

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »
That looks amazing, fantastic results mate  ^^^

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Nino, it would be interesting if you could have a trip in a time machine, transport this restored pin back to 1976, and put it side by side with a Buccaneer fresh out of the Gottlieb factory.  Other than the slight cabinet wear, and maybe the PF clear timber fading, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

This is one awesome machine - simple in design, and so challening to get the special, but this brings back so many fond memories of when I did play it back in the late 1970's at the local bowling alley.

Already said, but I'll say it again, sensational effort and result!

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
When i redo spinner art, i print the art onto Clear inkjet label and stick them onto the white repainted spinners (i use Clear label for just about everything, ie spinner art drop target etc). i usually stick them onto the spinner, leaving the decal slightly oversize so as to make it easier to apply (something to hold on to)  :D then trim it right up to the edge with a sharp scalpel blade, then mylar over the top. I havent tried waterslide decal on a spinner yet but i may give it a try on one of my future restores.

I checked out the Avery website, and along with the white labels Nino referred to above (J8167), they also have clear labels (J8567). http://www.averyproducts.com.au/avery/en_au/Products/Labels/Shipping-Labels/Clear-Shipping-Labels-J8567-25-Pack-199.6-x-289.1-mm_936008.htm.

I suppose the advantage of using the clear label (compared to the white label) is that you would not need to match the colour of the "background" of the printed spinner art to the rest (ie. painted) area of the spinner (its edges).  As Buccaneer's artwork background is white, this is pretty straightforward to match and using a white label (eg. the J8167) is fine.