Author Topic: Solar electricity  (Read 8092 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Solar electricity
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »
good if you can get a good deal but like they say if it "sounds too good to be true" applies to solar, check what panels they are using and what % of efficiency they loose over each year, and also the contract as some will allow for a certain loss in effectiveness each year - BP solar panels are up there and many look like them but after 5 years can only generate 70 of what they were sold to generate.

Ive done quite a bit of research.. the Modern Solar panels ( black XXXX) guarantee a loss of 2% over 25 years.. the ones im looking at are 20% over 25 years which seems to be pretty much the standard. On a hot day expect further losses of 2% for every degree over 25c, so at about 40c in summer my capacity to generate is reduced by up to 30% peak of the day.
The Modern Solar panels do generate more power but at twice the price of anything else it takes almost twice as long to break even.
I should be able to generate around 25KWh a day with the system.. we currently use 20KWh.
Not interested in paying an exorbitant amount to gain some passive income.. its now false economics. With the deal im looking at my quarterly expenditure will remain relatively the same but in 24 months ill be glad to not get any bills for electricity at all or at least make them so small they are laughable...IF I get some rebate then its a cherry on the cake. But with this deal and the 25 year warranty im hard pushed to fault it... my only concern is the inverter and they are coming down in price constantly, so in 5 years when full warranty has run out itll cost bugger all to replace.

^^^ good on you, at least you know what you are after and done the maths
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts