Author Topic: Solar electricity  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Solar electricity
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
Anyone here have solar electricity??? If so id be interested in your thoughts on it.

We are looking to install a 5KW system consisting of 20 X 250W SERAPHIM panels... people who want to sell us this want to put a 5KW inverter with it. My thoughts are that the inverter should be around 30% higher in capacity than the system.... pretty sure its not good practice to run something at max capacity... seems the GROWATT system only has an output of 4.6KW anyway, so its actually under.

Weve had some pretty pushy salesman try and sign us up there and then.. very bad practice and gets my back up immediately.

System mentioned above is from True Value Solar.... Modern Solar were over double the price.
I guess my main concern is the inverter... someone here would have some knowledge on these possibly???

Thanks guys...

Gav

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Solar electricity
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
We have a 6kw inverter running 30 panels which I think we're 190w each don't know much else I wasn't really listening.   Havnt had to pay for power since and I'm sure you get more sun than we do gav

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
I have a 5kW system at my place, had it for over 2 years, great system.  Purchased from Energy Matters.  It has a 5kW Sunnyboy Explorer inverter.  Whisper quiet and so far haven't had any issue with it.  Your panels/installation will never drive your inverter to maximum if properly installed.  A 5kW inverter will handle 5kW when running at its maximum without any trouble.  It is not like a regular electrical system where you have to over compensate to allow for stresses.  The panels will actually generate less on a hot sunny day, than a cooler sunny spring day.  Air temps have a big say in how efficient the panels operate.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
I also got a system through energy matters. 5Kw Aurora inverter, with REC panels, i ended up getting 2 extra panels, so total 'input' is around 5.3kW or so.  I did this after reading plenty on whirlpool forums about boosting panel numbers a bit - some guys are putting 6kW into 5kW inverters - and these are guys who are sparkies that install and design a lot of systems, so i'm assuming they know a lot more than me!

Very happy with it, haven't had an electricity bill since installation and have a few hundred credit. I estimated the system would pay for itself in 4 years, and it seems to be on track.  The biggest thing i think is making sure your panel orientation is correct. Our neighbours got some poor advice (isntallers wanted the easy option), and they have the exact same system as us and produce 30% less power due to western rather than northern facing panels.  I also et up and clean them every month or two with a hose to keep the dust down during dry weather.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.. solar is definitely the way to go right now,. We have a further 21% increase coming in QLD which would take our quarterly bill up to the $750 mark which is just ridiculous. I can get a 5KW system ( each KW should produce around 4 -5KWh) on a north facing roof for around $800 a quarter interest free over 24 months and that's not taking in the 18c rebate.
Glad to hear no one has had any problems with the systems. Each time I talk to a solar company they start out by telling what I should steer clear of.. this panel.. that inverter... this company etc... all very negative selling rather than positive. My thoughts have always been that if you have to make yourself look good by bagging someone elses then your product just doesn't hold up.
A bit more research on my part and it seems that the Aurora inverter is very well recommended.. if I can get my Chinese Growatt swapped for a Chinese Aurora then ill feel much better.

Thanks guys.. much appreciated!   ^^^

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
I got a 3kw system through True Value Solar, best value at the time.
Performs well, been generating credit, probably not this quarter though as there has been many overcast days.

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Hi Gav, Check out this link http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10423.0 I started this back a while ago.
Regards Keith

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:13:56 AM »
Hi Gav, Check out this link http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10423.0 I started this back a while ago.
Regards Keith

Thanks mate.. seems you got in when it was the 40c.. its now 8c from Energex and a further 10C from Origin making 18c... doesn't matter to me, im not interested in making money just neutralising the largest bill we have.
All residential is now capped at 5KW so Daniel you did well to get a 6KW.. they are trying to stop people earning passive income from solar.. they really cocked it up with the high feedback tariffs... the 21% increase in QLD is to make up the shortfall by handing out 40c+ feedbacks.. crazy stuff and demonstrates just how incompetent our governments are

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »
You should go for a inverter that is larger by a few panels than what you are installing. A equal match inverter with panels will cope but it will have a shorter life as it is working that little bit harder.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline rads

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »
Check the history of whoever you buy from.  There have been a lot of companys go since the rebates were reduced.  Check if the manufacturer or retailer take responsibility for any warranty issues.

Do you have a smart meter?  I had massive grief with the electricty companys after the install.  I had a retail power supplier who had to contact the distributor to get my meter changed and then configured.  I had to get actively involved as the retailer stuffed up the works order to the distributor three times.  If I hadn't got involved the distributor admitted they wouldn't have told me there was an issue.  The only bad press I have heard about solar is actually getting the power companies to hook the thing up as neither the retailer nor distributor benefit.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
what Rads said happens quite a bit as there are only a dozen meter qualified guys to change these smart meters in, so there can be some delays and have to make sure the provider has booked you in

also once you get your panels and smart meter you can see where the power is going - surprising how much goes into the hot water so I did some research and got the Apricus Hot Water System with a SS steel water tank, no noise and hot water - after solar panels I am saving an additional $100 a quarter on hot water, and I think element hot water systems phase out at the end of this year.

http://www.apricus.com.au/products/introduction?gclid=CIKE9d6c07gCFWZZpgodc1gATg

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
Weve got gas hot water in the new house.. at the old one we had a huge hot water tank that I knew was just chewing the juice and couldn't wait to be rid of it... smart meters... we don't have the "smart" meters here in QLD, we do have the upgraded digital ones but they are not the so called and oh so hated Smart type.
My whole distribution box needs replacing though.. its all timber and has fuses not earth trip switches installed

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
you can get some trip switches to fit into the old ceramic fuse holders.

also just note with the panel in the fuse box if it is dark in colour to almost brown or black - guaranteed to have an asbestos component in it. Fibro in your eaves and bathroom panels (pre 90's) has about 12% asbestos, panel that the fuses and meters attach to in the meter box has about 55% asbestos - dangerous stuff so be very careful and a note to anyone with a house pre 1990 almost guaranteed to have an asbestos panel and the dust in the bottom of the meter box box will be the drill dust from new meters installed over the years. Get a wet rag and wipe out and just use new rags to continue and bag it straight away - don't rinse it, and never blow out. I only know this because I setup an asbestos register and audit of the last company (many buildings and factories on a 32000m2 site) I worked for and did training to identify and remove - not that I did any removing.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

..... they really cocked it up with the high feedback tariffs... the 21% increase in QLD is to make up the shortfall by handing out 40c+ feedbacks.. crazy stuff and demonstrates just how incompetent our governments are

Every rebate/grant system introduced creates economic issues.

Until a year ago there were grants of $29,500.00 for building a first home in Victorian regional areas. So building prices skyrocket as demand increases, eating up the grants and more. Demand gets brought forward so that people who would have been buying/building over the next two or so years are able to get in with no deposit then....so now all the demand for the last year for first home builders has been non-existent. It will take another year or two for prices to reduce as competition for the remaining work increases.....in the meantime builders start to fail for lack of work.

I remember studying economics as part of my first degree (I was crap at it!) but these sort of things did stick in my mind, how grants and bonuses have short term benefits but always create longer term issues once they stop.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Well there are certainly some good deals to be had right now. Im playing one company off with another... best deal I have so far is $5786 all inclusive with an Eversolar ( owned by SMA) 5KW inverter... have another company coming tomorrow night who reckon they could beat that price with an SMA inverter... just to add, deal is interest free over 24 months.
Sure as hell beats Modern Solar who wanted $14K.. Ha! - I ended up having an argument with the salesman.. not good..LOL