Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

T2 diamond coat/mylar

<< < (2/4) > >>

Strangeways:

I missed this thread totally  !@#

Diamond coat is just another word for clearcoat. It is supposed to be the most durable CC.

Most Bally/WMS games also have Mylar in high traffic areas - Like TAF has some around the scoops, Fishtales around the ball drop areas. This can be removed using several methods. The Hair Dryer method should be ok for mylar on Diamond Coat.

Just try a test spot first. Insert lettering lifting is a risk and there's no guarantee that it will work. MartyJ has done this and also applied some new insert decals to great effect.

MartyJ:

--- Quote from: Strangeways on February 11, 2009, 05:05:48 PM ---
I missed this thread totally  !@#

Diamond coat is just another word for clearcoat. It is supposed to be the most durable CC.

Most Bally/WMS games also have Mylar in high traffic areas - Like TAF has some around the scoops, Fishtales around the ball drop areas. This can be removed using several methods. The Hair Dryer method should be ok for mylar on Diamond Coat.

Just try a test spot first. Insert lettering lifting is a risk and there's no guarantee that it will work. MartyJ has done this and also applied some new insert decals to great effect.

--- End quote ---

I should have some spare decals left over (not all, but some) if you need them.

I'm still interested that they put mylar on it.  I've read about the prototype playfields which I don't think had diamond coat.

From having done it a few times now  ^%^  I can definately recommend building yourself a 'Nino' playfield stand.  Removing the playfield will take only a few minues (label backboard plugs etc) and would be the best way to do it without question.

I bought a Bosch heat gun (fully adjustable) and shellite, a rag, spare time.

I should have a bit more to progress on mine after Sunday.

Good luck.

robm:
Without wanting to railroad this thread (i was just about to post a very similar one!) i think i'm in much the same boat with my Jurassic Park.  From what i understand Data East used very similar stuff to Diamond Coat, but with another trade name - please correct me if i'm wrong.  It looks to me as though there is the mylar around the slingshots (see pic) and then pretty much on top of that over the whole playfield (some pics of joins).  So it sounds as though it shouldn't be too difficult (with some care and patience) for me to also remove the mylar and give everything a good Novus 2 and wax and i should get some shine happening on the playfield?

Strangeways:

Rob - I think that mylar / contact would "peel" off easy. Try a test spot first.

You should have factory mylar "squares" near the scoops, and the "control room" scoop as well as the slings.

ajlaird:
When I get around to it I am probably going to remove the mylar from the Mousin' Around! as it has some bubbling.

Think I will get one of you guys over for a look first, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version